Hair Loss

Options
kidskart
kidskart Posts: 79 Member
Has anyone found solutions for hair loss after surgery?

I am taking Biotin + all my vitamins plus vitamins for hair, skin & nails. I am getting between 80-100g of protein daily.

I'm using shampoo, conditioner expecially for hair loss. I'm staying away from curling irons, straightners etc.

I am losing handfuls of hair every day! And have been for almost 3 months!

HELP!!! thanks, Lisa

Replies

• gsbanks1
    gsbanks1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I AM LOSING MY HAIR LIKE CRAZY TOO. I DREAD COMBING MY HAIR AND EVEN VISITED A DERMATOLOGIST TO NO AVAIL. BIOTIN DOES NOT SEEM TO BE WORKING :(
  • Napjeeper
    Options
    My hair was already thinning when I had the surgery, turns out I had a hormone problem (an AMAZINGLY low testerone count) that didn't show up on blood work until AFTER my surgery. The doc put me on HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy) and my hair started to thicken up again. Other than that, I've had no hair loss related to the surgery.

Have you had any blood work done to verify that all the nutrients you're taking in are getting into your system?
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain...I am shedding like a cat. I expected this...I was warned ahead of time...but it is still distressing! There is nothing you can do to stop it from falling...only protect your remaining hair and encourage new growth. Everyone tells me to ride it out, that it will grow back. My hair stylist told me last week not to panic...that I have a lot of new growth coming in. Unfortunately, my hair is long and the new little hairs are short and stick straight out! But hey, its hair...I will take it. I am using Nioxin shampoo, conditioner and mousse to add volume to what I have. I also take biotin everyday to encourage new growth. Keep your protein up as much as you can. I figure if I have to I can cut it shorter so the new growth blends in better, but I am holding off on that until I have to!
  • kidskart
    kidskart Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input. I do have another round of blood work in a week, maybe that will give me some answers.

I have already cut off 12 inches to lighten up the pull at the scalp, but really don't want to go any shorter.

Thanks!
  • ErinShannon
    ErinShannon Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My sister had GBS almost 3 yrs ago and it took about 6-8 months she had told me before the hair loss eased up and finally stopped.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I too had heard that the hormones can be the culprit and that if you are keeping your protein up and taking your vitamins you might want to get your hormone levels checked. regrettably our hormones can fluctuate due to both our weight loss and as a natural part of aging. My only dread is that I have lost so much I'm off 3 pills and now if the hair loss thing hits me I might have to add one back in.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I lost a ton from months 3-9 and then it stopped. By a year out I could see lots of new growth. I did avoid putting my hair in a ponytail to try to decrease the stress on my hair.
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Boost your protein, make sure you're getting at least 75g/day... that should help... I'm 7 months out, no noticable hairloss! The book I read as my bible before RNY called this the "Build your own Cat kit".