Losing my HAIR!!

Options
TL0105
TL0105 Posts: 41 Member
Help! I am about 5 months post op and I am noticing that I am losing my hair. It appears thinner, and when I wash it, I notice that there is quite left in the shower drain. I know they said this could happen but I was wondering if anyone had any tips that worked for them. How long does it last and more importantly...does it grow back?? Thanks in advance for your help!!

Replies

• Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I was told that to combat the hair loss I should work pretty hard to keep my protein intake consistent and high...given my age, and height and body shape, that's over 60 grams of protein a day.

I was also told to use Silica supplements to help combat the issue and to look at purchasing a shampoo/hair leave in tonic with silica and biotin...

my hair did thin out for about 2 months, not very badly, it just got a little thin....I upped my protein and added the supplements and it seems to be coming back in rather well...

however I know people in my support group that are doing all those things too and they are still losing hair and some took longer than a year to get it back...

so I can recommend those fixes but I can't really give you a timeline...

sorry.
  • mfisher16508
    mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I would just try to keep the protein up, even with my low protein intake I have not experienced this, but that doesnt mean I wont.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    60+ grams of protein is enough to maintain for most of us but I've heard you need more to grow back lost hair.
  • sapl31
    sapl31 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It was suggested that I use biotin to help and I think it has. Also a hairdresser told me to get Nioxin shampoo #4. You have to get it at a salon.
  • Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Me too! This is from an article online:

First of all, everyone loses hair every day as part of the natural cycle of hair growth. But after weight loss surgery, our bodies are forced to live on drastically lower amounts of calories. To compensate for the reduction, all the remaining nutrients are channeled to the organs that need them most. And our hair isn’t one of them. So suddenly, our hair must do without the nutrients it needs to grow. And it also has to compensate for that loss. It sends more strands into “resting” phases and temporarily suspends production of new strands. Not to mention the fact that hormones go haywire after surgery and while all that fat is being metabolized. That just doesn’t help matters. The upshot: hair starts falling out.

Since the biggest reason we lose hair after surgery seems to be a lack of nutrients getting to our hair follicles, then it makes sense that getting more nutrients to our hair will minimize hair loss. Nothing will keep you from losing any hair at all. Even without weight loss surgery, you lose a certain number of hairs every day. Afterwards, you’re going to lose more. It cannot be prevented. But there are things you can do that seem to help. First off, be sure you’re getting all of your protein. My doctor recommended 60 grams or more a day. I’ve found 80 to be a better number, both for weight loss and for my hair. (Many other doctors recommend 80 as a minimum.) Hair is built with protein. That’s what it’s made of. So making sure you’re taking in enough protein will help keep your hair healthy. At least, healthier.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I am about 4.5 months out and shedding like a cat! There is nothing you can do to stop it from falling...what you need to do is protect your hair and keep it as healthy as possible and encourage new growth. I use a nioxin shampoo to add volume and keep my hair from getting dry and more brittle. I also use a keratin infused leave in conditioner after shampooing. Try not to shampoo everyday and I only blow it dry when I have to go to work. I also take 5000mcg of biotin everyday to encourage new growth. My hair stylist told me last week that I have a ton of new growth. I have a lot of little short baby hairs growing in everywhere. Unfortunately, they are straight and kind of stick up everywhere...but hey...its hair, I will take it! Keep a good layered haircut while growing out, it will also help add some volume.

I know it is scary to pull handfuls of hair out everytime you wash it or brush it....but...it will grow back. I figure if mine gets too thin I will get some extensions and rock my skinny-butt fake-hair look for awhile :)
  • TL0105
    TL0105 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice! It's kind of scary at first, and a disappointment, but if I have to lose some hair for the sake of my health, I will...I see my hair dresser this week, so I'll talk to her about it as well.

Again, Thanks friends!!
  • Napjeeper
    Options
    Keep all of the above in mind, and also know that once you get to your goal and your body re-adjusts to the dramatic body change, it should start to compensate and put some of those nutrients back to hair growth. Most people I know who went through this after surgery stopped having this problem after they hit their goal weight and bottomed out. With a normal diet, you lose weight much slower and the body doesn't have to work as hard to maintain other systems, but when you drop that much weight that fast, it assumes the worst. Give it time and you'll be back to normal soon. :)
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    There is another thread on this topic... as I mentioned there, get your protein, at least 75g/day. I'm 7 mos out and had no noticable hairloss. Perhaps the moderator can merge these two threads?