A1c

Options
CRody44
CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
I had my Hgb A1c done this morning. A1C is 6.1 (Standard 4.6 to 6.0) and Estimated Average Glucose is 128 (Standard 85-126). Close, but no cigar. I WILL be within range by my next test in November.

Now I’m waiting for my lipids results. Maybe the night shift will do it.

Replies

• Lefty634
    Lefty634 Posts: 56
    Options
    Congrats I have mine down to 6.4 from 7.2 my chol is 170 ldl is 93 and trig are down to 152 from 204 my blood pressure was 110/70
    I was pretty excited about all these numbers.
  • CRody44
    Options
    Good job, Lefty.

Unfortunately, my lipids just came back less than desirable. Last year, I joined MFP and started eating low carb, no grains or processed/industrial food and Farmers Market local fresh fruits and veggies for four months and lost 30 lbs, my cholesterol went from 163 to 154, my HDL from 38 to 48, my LDL from 70 to 86 and triglycerides from 275 to 101. Then like an Idiot, I quit logging, slid back into crap eating for six months and gained most of the weight back. June 1st, I started back using MFP, eating well and joined a gym and got a trainer. My morning BS has improved from the 140's-150’s to the 1110's to 120’s, and I have lost 15 pounds. After six months of eating crap, my cholesterol was up to 252, HDL up to 56 (the only good thing), my LDL up to 162 and my triglycerides up to 169.

June 1st, I started back using MFP, eating well and joined a gym and got a trainer. My morning BS has improved from the 140's-150’s to the 110's to 120’s, and I have lost 15 pounds. My doctor wants to put me back on statins, but I’ll try to eat properly and exercise for three months and see what they are.
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Those are good numbers! Congratulations! Keep up the good work!
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    You've been doing well. If statins don't bother you it's not a bad thing. I've been taking them since I was diagnosed 14 years ago along with a baby aspirin. Although my BP is very good and I have no kidney function issues the are putting me on the BP/kidney pill in a couple months. Dr. wanted me to figure out how the amaryl was working. I'm on the lowest dose of that and finally can eat real food again. I don't make much insulin so it give me just enough of a boost that my numbers are much better now. I have a lot of years (I hope) ahead of me and I want to keep from rotting.
  • kmacgera
    kmacgera Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    http://www.greenmedinfo.com/guide/health-guide-statin-drugs

Just ran across this site re: statins. No opinion from me, don't know.
  • CRody44
    Options
    Thank you for the website kmacgera. This is more confirmation on the research I have done. I especially like the article on chocolate. I’m buying some 72% Ghirardelli dark chocolate today.

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/chocolate-gives-statins-29-billion-run-their-money
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Just got my A1c results today which were very encouraging. My latest A1c reading was 5.7, which is down from 6.0 at my last test and down from 7.5 at diagnosis. Blood pressure was good at 130/60; Total Chol 4.6; L 2.6; HDL 1.6; Trigs 0.88; Chol/HDL ratio 2.88; Kidney Function was normal. This was encouraging news and an incentive to press on with the programme. I thank God for His goodness to me and am really greatful for all the help I've been given from my MFP friends.
  • kmacgera
    kmacgera Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Just got my A1c results today which were very encouraging. My latest A1c reading was 5.7, which is down from 6.0 at my last test and down from 7.5 at diagnosis. Blood pressure was good at 130/60; Total Chol 4.6; L 2.6; HDL 1.6; Trigs 0.88; Chol/HDL ratio 2.88; Kidney Function was normal. This was encouraging news and an incentive to press on with the programme. I thank God for His goodness to me and am really greatful for all the help I've been given from my MFP friends.

That is fantastic! Very happy for you!
  • wcucats77
    wcucats77 Posts: 180
    Options
    Received my A1C 15 days ago and for 5 years it went from 5.6 to 5.8. Then out of the blue it came in at 6.5 and Oh No, a new category. Also, I don't understand my fasting glucose in same period has always been 95-99, except for 2 readings of 101 and 103. This time it was 101 again. Any thoughts from anyone why it jumped in 4 month period form last test to 6.5. Doctor has scheduled another one in mid November. In 15 days, I have gotten religion and lost 7 pounds and detemined to get myself a second chance. Always exercised, two - three times a week, but since the reading every day, I have exercised intensily for 50-60 minutes burning 500-550 calories. Not on medication, tried Metfornin and made me very sick. So I stopped after speaking with DR.

So any thoughts, from anyone on what I am trying to accomplish. REVERSE; Is this possible?

Thanks to all who respond
  • wcucats77
    Options
    Congrats and keep up the good work.
  • Ntropic1
    Ntropic1 Posts: 15
    Options
    Hey Guys,

I'm also Type 2 Diabetic and have to say I'm jealous of y'alls numbers but I'm getting there. I started out with a 11.3 A1C and blood pressure of 166/100 and me and my doctor had it out. He gave me 3 months and I told him I'm going to put the work in and we'll see what I'm made of! :smile: It was a challenge I love facing and a serious health concern as well.

I went walking 2 miles a day. 1st day showed just how outta shape I was. I stuck to my mandate and has added running and biking. When I returned to my doctor. (from April to July) My A1C was at 7.1! My blood pressure was 135/80! Needless to say the doctor was impressed I was happy for my hard work and I have a new lifestyle. Next appointment will be in November just before I run my first 8K race... at 51 years young!!

Stay tuned more good news to come ... and by the way... I Quit a 35 year smoking habit !!!
  • wcucats77
    Options
    Terrfic numbers and congrats on your reaching some very important numbers. Just goes to show how important being committed can be, even under very difficult odds.

Keep it up. See if you can get the A1C down to 6.0 by next test. Suggestion, get your blood pressure down to 125 over 80.

Good luck
  • CRody44
    Options
    Ntropic,

Drastic improvement and outstanding accomplishment to quit smoking! Getting healthy feel good doesn't it?
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Ntropic, amazing improvements. Great job. Quitting smoking is good for everyone but is crucial for diabetics. I read somewhere that if you are a smoker and diabetic you have a good chance of having to have amputations later on. I picture that every time I want to smoke. I've been clean for almost a year now. I had a relapse a year ago but had made it 8 months before that.
  • Ntropic1
    Options
    Thanks
  • Ntropic1
    Options
    Thank you
  • Ntropic1
    Options
    Definitely working on it ...walk 2 miles or run a mile and a half or bike for 6 miles all of them are done within 30 mins every morning after work
  • craftykat12
    craftykat12 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I went to my Dr. for my 3 months check up, because my blood work # were really bad last few times I had been there, my liver test were so bad I was scared, this time we got the shock of our life's, all my blood work came back normal, my liver test was down over 100 points & my A1C was only 5.5 (down from 7.8) and I had loss 28.8 lb. she was so impressed that she wrote down the web-site to give to the rest of her clients. It has changed my life, I love this site so much, I tell everyone that I know about it. what has helped me the most is keeping track of what I eat, I also weight & measure everything I eat. I carry my scales with me all the time.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    @craftykat12, That's a really massive reduction, well done. Every success story helps our friends who are still striving to reach their goals.
  • CRody44
    Options
    craftyKat12 and robert65fergu,

Your numbers are very impressive. It is good to be in a group that is so incouraging because of the example. that you set!