Weigh daily or weekly?

Options
What do you find works best for you? I always want to weigh myself daily, but I don't want my day to be determined by that bloody number I see first thing in the morning.

When I did WW in 2005 I would only weigh myself at the weekly weigh-ins, I liked the element of surprise and it gave me something more to work towards.

I think that once you're closer to target a daily weigh in may help you make the right food choices each day, but when you're A MILLION MILES FROM TARGET (me) then maybe weekly is better?!

I am rambling. Thoughts?

x

Replies

• lebonque
    Options
    I like to weigh myself every day, as I want to get a sense of little changes and I find that even the tiny drops in weight keep me going... BUT if I have over-indulged the day before, or am feeling a bit bloaty, I'll skip the morning weigh-in (no need to make yourself feel worse!). But that's just me.

Now here's a weird question - can anyone recommend some good bathroom scales? I have these awful WW ones upon which I can gain/lose several pounds in 30 seconds... I end up weighing myself 5/6 times each morning and using the most common reading... I think a Wii Fit gives a more accurate reading than the scales (!!).
  • littlebigvoice
    littlebigvoice Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hmm. This is a tricky one.

I'm actually going to weigh myself every two weeks at the moment. This may sound odd, but bear with me. I sort of feel as though in a week you can do and undo good work, whereas over two you will probably get a clearer picture of what's going on with your body.

I feel really strongly that although I want to lose weight and put my wellbeing first, the number on the scales shouldn't be my whole focus.

Whaddya think?
  • laureldlyons
    laureldlyons Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I tend to weight myself in the morning and the evening everyday, which is a little obsessive but means notice how much I fluctuate throughout the day. I average about 5lbs morning to night. Which seems a lot!

I'd worry with weekly that I'd get upset at not having lost any when it was just general fluctuation, but you weigh yourself at the same time of day weekly then that should work!

I got my scales cheap from clas olsen but they seem pretty good! x
  • marina_partlett
    Options
    Hi,

I've always been addicted to weighing myself daily, though I would really like to stop and only weigh myself once a week!

Does anyone fancy having a weekly weigh in thread? We could pick one day of the week as our 'day to weigh' and help to motivate each other?

Just a thought x
  • cambridgegirl309
    cambridgegirl309 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I go for once to twice a week, always in the morning before breakfast which is when you're at your lightest!! It's normal to fluctuate 5-7lbs throughout the day, so I think it's the time that matters rather than the frequency. But having said that, torturing yourself leads to negativity which helps no one!! If you know your doing the right things, you shouldn't stress. (et hem. Wagamama lunch). Scale never lies and all that jazz!! X
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Weekly. Daily doesn't give you a realistic point of view, and also once you've reached your goal weight and don't weigh in weekly you haven't learned to control it without checking every day - may give you some ugly surprises!
  • davecatley
    Options
    I way myself daily, but keep track of it with a moving average like my chart on this site:

https://trendweight.com/u/e16f7b36ad1348/chart/3m.png

That way you can keep an eye on the pattern of this movement, and it'll be a really good tool for maintenance once I get down there.
  • laureldlyons
    Options
    Does anyone fancy having a weekly weigh in thread? We could pick one day of the week as our 'day to weigh' and help to motivate each other?

Just a thought x
  • laureldlyons
    Options
    Just posted that quote without my reply! I'd be up for weekly weigh in. Can it not be Monday? I know I'll still be a little naughty at weekends :S xx
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Here's just a thought, why not just "go with the flow" and weigh in at our own pace? I find that if you leave a fixed day for everyone to weigh in, some people have a tendency to forget that it's "weigh day" and don't log in. I should know, I've been one. So how about we go at our own times and in the mean time, let each other know how we're all doing each day? This way we won't feel like everything's all a contest or a race to lose the most weight, when we all know it's not. After all, this isn't "The Biggest Loser", right?
  • Judley74
    Options
    I'm going to weigh weekly - and as I did my first weigh in on a Sunday morning, then that is what I'll stick to - I'm not fussed about a weekly weigh in for everyone - if we just all post as and when we feel like it, then it's all good!!
  • Poppy_WIWT
    Options
    Monday is the day in my head at the moment, mainly because I started Operation Hottify blogging etc on WIWT on a Monday. I'm actually quite excited for this Monday...last Monday I'd gained two pounds (thanks for nothing, brownies at V Festival) but this week I've had the undeniable luxury of being on a Total Diet Food (http://www.totaldietfood.com/) programme so I haven't really had to think about eating - food delivered straight to me and everything seems to be a bright colour and grown in the ground rather than beige and grown in a factory. Have had one vodka based evening (ahem) but I am hoping that it will be balanced out across the week.

I'll be posting weight loss (I hope!!!!) on the blog and I guess it will be in the news feed etc so MFP friends will see it.

I want me one of those fancy signature graphic things which shows the loss! I need to fiddle about with my profile, clearly.

ANYHOO! Thanks for convincing me daily is pretty pointless and don't worry, I'll def be weighing first thing (before breakfast, after a wee - hah!)

x