Cool Paleo Cookbooks

Options
I just recently picked up two Paleo cookbooks from Cosco. If you're interested, they are pretty affordable and the foods looks amazing. I'm on a gluten free diet (allergy) and am just looking into Paleo. I found it interesting that the author's list of foods to eat sound like just about everything I've been buying lately. I'm starting to wonder if my instincts were steering me this way.

Anyway, if you're interested and have a Cosco near you, the books are titled...

Everyday Paleo by Sarah Fragoso
Paleo Comfort Foods - Homestyle Cooking for a Gluten-free Kitchen by Julie and Charles Mayfield

I can't wait to try some of these dishes. They look so good! I've been trying to cook veggies in ways that are more interesting and these books have so much variety. :happy:

Replies

• zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    LOL I did the same last week!

Paleo Comfort Foods looks much better-- Everyday Paleo didn't seem as interesting, but we shall see... I'm trying the fried okra tonight.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Oh, you'll have to post what you thought - please???? Either way, I've been enjoying just going through them. The foods look so tasty.
  • zellagrrl
    Options
    Everyday Paleo seemed to be a rehash of pretty much what I cook all the time, with a couple of new things-- the desserts look the most interesting. That's pretty much my biggest complaint about it-- my fiancé thinks it has some new ideas, and so it will probably end up on the bookshelf instead of back at the store. It's just not particularly original or inspiring to me.

Paleo Comfort Foods on the other hand had a lot of Southern recipe adaptations, and since I struggle with how to make things without a roux, that was a lot more helpful, especially come winter, when I'm going to want a lot of soups and stews and Superbowl jambalaya (I don't actually watch the game, or usually realize that it's happening, it's just when we have jambalaya) :) I can clean up a lot of recipes on my own, but there are technical pieces that I'm just missing sometimes that they seemed to include.

On a few counts, I think both of them are completely out of their head trying to fake things that aren't paleo. Like cauliflower "rice" which sounds absolutely disgusting. I am not a huge fan of trying to turn something into what it isn't. Same goes for cauliflower "mashed potatoes." Eat the real thing or not at all.

I'm going to reserve judgment on the biscuits until I attempt them, but largely, I'd rather do without than eat something that's a half-assed imitation (I'm looking at you spaghetti squash "pasta").
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    I think while it has issues, for a person whose dabbling with Paleo it might tempt them to try more dishes with veggies. It might be too much to go all out Paleo at first. I know for me - I had no idea what to do with some of these vegetables and the idea of giving up potatoes and rice which I'm not allergic to would traumatize me. I guess for a person with Gluten allergies these books might be a bit more helpful. I'd call them books for dabbling in the area until you're ready to give up some of the stuff you like.

I don't mind imitation. I do medieval stuff and we're always imitating the past. That might be why they have the gluten free part in the title of one of the books. I know we had radishes cooked at a big medieval event and smashed into a potato like mixture whose texture was similar to mashed potatoes. I believe it was flavored with garlic. They were good and apparently, they would have eaten them back then. :) I guess it depends on what you think is ok. I don't care about eating appearances...just want to find ways to trick myself into loving veggies more.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    You need to try Make It Paleo! http://www.makeitpaleo.com/ great cookbook and backstory on their journey to paleo.

I've also downloaded this one
    http://paleodietlifestyle.com/paleo-recipe-book/ which is very good.

Marks Daily Apple has free downloadable cookbooks (I believe) which are primal (use dairy) rather than paleo.
  • Zeromilediet
    Options
    Everyday Paleo seemed to be a rehash of pretty much what I cook all the time, with a couple of new things-- the desserts look the most interesting. That's pretty much my biggest complaint about it-- my fiancé thinks it has some new ideas, and so it will probably end up on the bookshelf instead of back at the store. It's just not particularly original or inspiring to me.

Paleo Comfort Foods on the other hand had a lot of Southern recipe adaptations, and since I struggle with how to make things without a roux, that was a lot more helpful, especially come winter, when I'm going to want a lot of soups and stews and Superbowl jambalaya (I don't actually watch the game, or usually realize that it's happening, it's just when we have jambalaya) :) I can clean up a lot of recipes on my own, but there are technical pieces that I'm just missing sometimes that they seemed to include.

On a few counts, I think both of them are completely out of their head trying to fake things that aren't paleo. Like cauliflower "rice" which sounds absolutely disgusting. I am not a huge fan of trying to turn something into what it isn't. Same goes for cauliflower "mashed potatoes." Eat the real thing or not at all.

I'm going to reserve judgment on the biscuits until I attempt them, but largely, I'd rather do without than eat something that's a half-assed imitation (I'm looking at you spaghetti squash "pasta").

I found Everyday Paleo to be 'ordinary' ... but then I'm a food snob, nerd, -die or whatever :-)

I agree that trying to create a SAD experience with foods that are paleo is um, nonsense (or maybe futile?) For me, I'd rather just create the most delicious paleo food possible which requires imagination and testing and sometimes disappointment. But that's adventures in cooking ;-) Cauliflower rice did turn out to be amazingly similar ... my anti-paleo (not just non-) hubby said, "I thought you weren't supposed to have rice" ... he thought it was the real deal. Whizzed raw in a food processor then a quick simmer in chicken stock for flavour until al denté, drain & serve. Cauliflower also makes a wonderful mashed potato substitute which I only use to get them into kids (cook until soft, mash/whip with butter/ghee and serve) ... hubs was only 'ok' with it, but my granddaughter asked for seconds.

Re spaghetti squash: it's all in the prep. Bake cut side down in the oven, then set on a cooling rack to 'dry' for 15 mins before using a fork to tease the strands out of squash. The squash has a lot of moisture so you want to reduce that before using or you end up with an unappetizing sloppy mess. Same with using zucchini strips; draining well and letting dry a bit makes all the difference. You'll be heating it up with pesto or whatever sauce you toss with it. While this sounds like cryptic instructions, the same could be said for properly cooking regular pasta ... have been served my share of slimey noodles that were overcooked and lasagnas that were like soup.

And because you mentioned it http://paleomg.com/jambalaya/ Just don't over cook it!

See Chowstalker.com ... paleo foodie bloggers are your friends :-)
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    That's just how I cooked it today! I actually put spaghetti sauce on it with cheese (probably not Paleo at all). But, it's nice to know I'm at least cooking it correctly. It did turn out really nice. May I ask, I scooped out the seeds AFTER it cooked. Is it better to scoop before then cook? My sister asked and I had no idea.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options

Oh, please give cauliflower rice a try. I think it's less about faking rice, and more about making something yummy. Try the nomnompaleo.com recipe foe fried rice. So good. I also made this last week when I ordered Thai curry. Sometimes you just need to eat something saucy over something like rice,and the cauliflower rice tastes great. It's so fast and easy to make.

I agree that spaghetti squash is nothing like spaghetti, but if you julienne zucchini and eat it like pasta it's so yummy. I actually prefer zucchini pasta over regular pasta now.

Edited due to annoying iPad autocorrect.
  • OliveLucas
    Options
    I have "Everyday Paleo", it's not bad.
    My favourite paleo cookbook is "Make It Paleo", also I love the new book "Practical Paleo" which just came out not too long ago. I found these two books are more of my style. I have tried several recipes from both books, and they are all very good, very yummy. :wink:
  • zellagrrl
    Options
    I might try the cauliflower rice, I just hate the flavor of cauliflower (and white rice for that matter). So unless ricing it removes the flavor, I don't know if that will help much...
  • Zeromilediet
    Options
    That's just how I cooked it today! I actually put spaghetti sauce on it with cheese (probably not Paleo at all). But, it's nice to know I'm at least cooking it correctly. It did turn out really nice. May I ask, I scooped out the seeds AFTER it cooked. Is it better to scoop before then cook? My sister asked and I had no idea.

I usually scoop squash seeds before cooking, except for summer squash like zukes and patty pan. Don't know if it matters :-)

@zellagrrl ... if you don't like rice, probably no need to try ricing cauliflower. People usually like it as a substitute, but not essential. However, it is a good veg source of potassium.
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    I do love rice. Now you've all tempted me to prepare the cauliflower this way. Hmm. I'm wondering if my seven year old nephew would like it too. :ohwell:
  • tsavisky
    tsavisky Posts: 78 Member
    Options

Hahaha you're post cracked me up! I'm looking at you spaghetti squash pasta! lol

Anyways, I love cauliflower mash, with some butter, garlic, salt and pepper mashed in it's so good. I know the 'paleofying' things isn't a good way to change our eating habit. You're right that they can't replace mashed potatoes, and spaghetti squash does not replace pasta, but I gotta say that I love how both of those taste:)
  • greenlj77
    Options
    Mmm, I lurve squashghetti, and mashed cauliflower.

I just got Practical Paleo from the library, and I'm not really a fan of how it's organized recipe-wise. Other than that, it has pretty good recipes. Otherwise I cheat and pin recipes on Pinterest to my recipe board. I also cruise blogs like there's no tomorrow.
    I am a fan of Paleo Comfort Foods. I'll probably buy that one.

Typically I just throw stuff together, influenced by what I've seen.
  • emtgirl729
    Options
    I love Everyday Paleo because the recipes fit my schedule and are easy to make. I also like the 30 day meal plan because I need guidance getting started. I also have the Make It Paleo and I like that one.
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I just bought Practical Paleo, and I really liked the few recipes that I've tried!
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Well Fed.
    Its on sale on amazon. Awesome cookbook.