Handstand Push-up Goal

Options
blonde71
blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
Hi. I've had this fitness goal - to perform a handstand push-up - for as long as I can remember. I can perform freestanding handstands and have since childhood. I can get up against the wall and somewhat push downward towards the floor but then my shoulders give out and sort of collapse. I know that it takes really good upper body strength to push down and then back up. It's basically a vertical press-up so I'd be pressing my entire bodyweight (all 122.5 lbs.) up and down. Any suggestions on how I can go about practicing to reach this goal? I'm beyond frustrated at this point. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    wondering the same.
    maybe do a combo of pushups where you gradually increase your leg height.

also maybe do some overhead press work and general upper body stuff like bench presses and pullups?
  • jooonesy
    jooonesy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    That's a great goal and have always wanted to try it. I agree that probably the best way is to continue to do pushups and gradually adjust your leg height over time.
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Pull ups may help that way you can get use to lift your weight also? (Totally guessing but thats what comes to mind)
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Pull ups may help that way you can get use to lift your weight also? (Totally guessing but thats what comes to mind)

I am pretty lousy at actual pull ups right now, i was advised to use the lateral pulldown bar at my gym to build my shoulder & arm strength & work up to a pull up - you could try this in addition to push ups... i have a similar goal i want to try but it will be a while before I am there... i'll see if i can find a pic to post...
  • marthafox1
    marthafox1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Try this - put your back against the wall body length distance and get into pressup position with your hands on the floor and your feet about a foot high on the wall and do a pressup then move your feet up and your hands in, each time doing a pressup and work you way up the wall doing this. You will eventually get to a point where you are near vertical and finding the pressups more difficult but keep doing this and you will eventually be able to do it without the wall.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Shoulder or military press. You might want to look up rotator cuff exercises too. I'm not sure how involved they are but I read and article about weak rotator cuffs limiting bench press.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/522682-rotator-cuff-exercises-for-a-bench-press/
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I can do about 4- 5 before my arms give up.
    I have pretty good upper body strength.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!! I'm happy to report that I'm VERY close to my goal of performing one. My upper body strength has really improved, as of late. Excited to see the goal (almost) realized!!!
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Try a modified version. For example I have done them in a school gym with your feet on the bleachers, Or try using the wall?