exercise

Options
do not go to gym or exercise classes , so walking is my main source of exercise, other than gardening(which is sporadic). Some days i can do 4 miles, standard is 2 miles. Have been incorporating some light jogging throughout the walk. After thewalk i check my blood sugar and it has come down. Walk early morning or early evening when the humidity and heat is low. I don't think walking and sweating profusely in the heat is healthy. Oh, i can work up a sweat but monitor myself. Also have been using a friends pool once a week, besides refreshing, it is also good exercise.

Replies

• robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi Deesbees, walking and swimming are both great options and the rythmic nature of bith activities means that you can get a good estimate of the number of calories burned unlike other activities such as say Zumba which while a good option is harder to judge the calories burned because of the variations in movement. Have a look at Azdak's blog on here for a really good piece on execrcise and the importance of intensity of effort.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I do water jogging at our condo pool. Great way to burn calories....and you dont sweat. ;)

But when the season is over, I will have to find an alternative. Walking is an option but no interesting places to walk around here....and driving somewhere to walk seems counterproductive to me. :)
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see Robert Zumba, that would be cute.

Any exercise is good exercise. If it is something you enjoy and will continue to do then it's perfect.

I have found that if I up my intensity it can temporarily cause me to spike but then it drops fairly quickly and is lower than if I didn't exercise. As my body gets used to the higher intensity this stops and my BG doesn't spike anymore.
  • deesbees
    Options
    thanks for the reply, first time in a support/discussion group. Was actually surprised to see response. :smile:
  • ldg323
    ldg323 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing good . For me, if I don't sweat it doesn't have an affect on my BS. Exercise is by far the thing that I have control of that affects my BS.

Good luck!!
  • Ntropic1
    Ntropic1 Posts: 15
    Options
    I try to get out there everyday and would make myself feel guilty on the days I miss (from being lazy) which are not many days. I am getting a rush out of it now. I would walk two miles in 30 mins. I now carry 2 ten pound weights and strap on some ankle weights. Then I would run a mile...walk a half mile (catch my breath) ... then run the last half mile. Finally I would ride my bike on the same course and triple the laps bringing about 6 miles in 30 mins.

its an awesome feeling when it's done and you know you are maintaining the A1C the doctor prescribed. YEAH!
  • Ntropic1
    Ntropic1 Posts: 15
    Options
    "I'd like to see Robert Zumba, that would be cute. "

So is that comment.. LOL... I bet he could Zumba with the best of em too! :happy:
  • shellanddiabetes
    Options
    Exercise is my down fall.. I know I should be doing some as my doctor has advised it and I have a Gym membership that is going to waist.. I really don't have an excuse not to do it but yes here comes the but,, BUT being newly diagnosed I am finding all my attention is going into what is put in my mouth first and for most.. I will get there slowly as the say slow and steady wins the race..

Take Care
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    "I'd like to see Robert Zumba, that would be cute. "

So is that comment.. LOL... I bet he could Zumba with the best of em too! :happy:

Zumba seems to be a very female thing and most classes seem to be made up of women so picturing Robert dancing around with the women just seemed funny, not that I think he couldn't keep up. Just thinking of him popping his hips side to side etc.