My Story...so far

Options
Hi,

My name is Kelsey Evans and I’m from Manchester in England.

My weight loss journey began back in February 2008 when I decided I wanted to lose a bit of weight for my big summer holiday in July 2008. I joined mycaloriecounter.com and began eating 1200 calories a day as I weight 141 lbs and my height is 5ft 6inches. The weight dropped off really quickly at first as I was also working out 5 times a week at the gym doing 45 minutes on the Cross-Trainer.

Before I went on my holiday I was so scared of putting weight on I began to purge when I went over my calorie goal. Once I got back off holiday in July 2008 I kept binging and purging until around September 2008 when I drastically dropped my calories to 500 calories a day! I stayed eating at that low calorie goal, whilst binging and purging if I went over, until October 2009. My friends had started to notice my low weight and spoke to be about it whilst we were out for Halloween, I broke down in floods of tears. I knew then that this was serious and it was an Eating Disorder not just about losing weight. I was so thin my periods stopped.

I told my mum about my Eating Disorder in March 2010 (I had been eating at 1200 from October 2009 to March 2010). My mum took me to the Doctor where I got weighed. I had dropped down to 7st 10lbs. I had a BMI of 17.5! The Doctor said if I carried on the way I was going I would be hospitalised. The Doctor told me to order a book of the internet which was a self-help book for people with Eating Disorders. I wrote down every day what I ate, I wasn’t suppose to count calories but I did at 1200 per day as I was terrified of putting on weight. This carried on until September 2010. After I got back from a long weekend away, thinking I had put on too much weight, I dropped back down to eating 500 calories a day until November 2010.

November 2010 was when I really made a change in my life! I broke down to one of my friends on my friends birthday and I just told her exactly how I felt. It was so liberating to be honest and open that I ditched the calorie counting and ate whatever I wanted until June 2011. My weight went up to 121 lbs and I was happy I felt nice and toned and I was doing swimming, cardio etc. In June 2011 I started the Atkins diet to lose a bit of weight for my 3 week trip to America in August/September 2011. I didn’t lose any weight but I toned up a lot!

When I got back from America (and Rome in October 2011) I had put on a lot of weight I was 151 lbs, the last time I weighed myself was in June 2011 so in 4 months I had put on nearly 30 lbs!!!

However, I dropped to 141 lbs pretty quickly as I think a lot of that weight was water gain. I have now been at 141 lbs for the past year nearly which is when I decided to start Eat More to Weigh Less.

I decided to do the RESET starting on 1 June 2012 and I finished on 30 July 2012 (8 weeks). I felt so bloated and uncomfortable! I can’t really look at pictures of me when I was at my thinnest because and I wont let people take pictures of me now because im still getting used to the extra weight.

I was 141 lbs when I started my RESET. After RESET I am 144.8 lbs. I have only put on 3.8 lbs which is awesome!! Feels like a lot more though.

I have started my CUT today (30 July 2012) doing 4 weeks at TDEE -10% (with a full TDEE week every 4 weeks). I will then drop down to TDEE -15% for 4 weeks (with a full TDEE week every 4 weeks) and then to TDEE -20% (with a full TDEE week every 4 weeks). I will stay at TDEE -20% until I no longer see any results and then I might have to change things up a bit. My goal is to get down to a UK Size 10, and at 126 lbs but I’m focusing on my photos which I took on Sunday. I am going to keep taking photos every 4 weeks before my full TDEE week and go off what I see on the photo rather than on the scale!

I also want my next NSV to be 20 full manly press-ups in one go (I can currently do 7). I will keep you updated on my weight loss each week now I am on my CUT.

I just want to say thank you for all your help. EM2WL really has changed my life, I love my voluptuous bum and my new C boobs (used to be a B). I don’t want to lose those hehe xx

Replies

• Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    What a touching story-thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Coming myself from an Ed, I know how hard it is to eat. But on the other hand it is also very liberating and healing. I finally am no longer scared of food.

Don't focus on the number you want to see on the scale. I too thought I want to get down to 130 but I realised that it is not going to happen, since I started to lift heavy. The most important thing is to feel good. It is not about the number on the darn scale.

Keep up the great work.

Oh and one more thing. The closer you get to your goal, the smaller the cut should be. Don't forget to take diet breaks every 4-6 weeks, so your body will not adjust to the cut as your new TDEE.

All the best
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You are doing wonderfully! Good luck on your journey!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Well done for tackling your relationship with food and being so determined to get it right this time. Good luck with the cut and I hope you get good steady results.

I have been building up the number of push ups I can do too. Last week I was still only doing 10 but this morning I managed 17 so you'll get there too :) It feels awesome to be getting stronger every day.

I look forward to seeing your updates.
  • kels136
    kels136 Posts: 55
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone :)

@crocatilla thanks for the friend request and we can motivate each other on our journey…and with the push-up NSV hehe x
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options

Don't forget to take diet breaks every 4-6 weeks, so your body will not adjust to the cut as your new TDEE.

Woah, wait....I have never heard of this....?!?!
  • robcarter10
    robcarter10 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    amonkey794

I had not really heard of I diet break until I read this post either. So, I went back and searched some old posts on the topic. Aparrently, eating at TDEE for a week or two helps your body and metabolism from adjusting to the new calorie level you have been eating at. I read in a post that it was supposed to be a week break after 4 weeks of eating at cut or 2 weeks if you had been eating at cut value for 8-10. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this. I also found a link to this article which explains some of the reasoning behind this.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    amonkey794

I had not really heard of I diet break until I read this post either. So, I went back and searched some old posts on the topic. Aparrently, eating at TDEE for a week or two helps your body and metabolism from adjusting to the new calorie level you have been eating at. I read in a post that it was supposed to be a week break after 4 weeks of eating at cut or 2 weeks if you had been eating at cut value for 8-10. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this. I also found a link to this article which explains some of the reasoning behind this.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

Oh okay, so if we are slowly increasing calories to eventually maintain I can omit this?
  • robcarter10
    robcarter10 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would think that if your goal is just to reach the calorie level where you maintain that you could ignore this. From what I understand, diet breaks are more for those of use eating at 15% to 20% less than TDEE so that our bodies do not adjust and stop losing weight at that calorie amount.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I would think that if your goal is just to reach the calorie level where you maintain that you could ignore this. From what I understand, diet breaks are more for those of use eating at 15% to 20% less than TDEE so that our bodies do not adjust and stop losing weight at that calorie amount.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

And @ Kels~ thank you so much for sharing your story! You are a true inspiration to all of us and I hope others read your post for the valuable lesson you are teaching us!

And just a little love for such a lovely lady:
    :love: :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker: :love: :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker: :love: :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker: :love: :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker: :love: :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker:
  • kels136
    Options

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

And @ Kels~ thank you so much for sharing your story! You are a true inspiration to all of us and I hope others read your post for the valuable lesson you are teaching us!

And just a little love for such a lovely lady:
    :love: :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker: :love: :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker: :love: :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker: :love: :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker: :love: :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker:

awwwww Thanks @rosied915 that is really nice of you.

I will keep updating you on my progress through this post and hopefully get some before and after photos in a few months :) xxx
  • kels136
    Options
    ***UPDATE - 4 AUGUST 2012***

Well I have been on CUT (TDEE -10%) for 6 days and lost 2.2 lbs :-) so happy! I have also been following Step One Detox of www.myonlinefitness.co.uk and have another week to go on that. I will take measurements in another week and update you further. My stomach is definitely going down and I feel more definition in my arms.

With regards to exercise I walk 30 mins (to and from work) 5 times a week then do Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 6 times a week.

Hope everyone is doing well and seeing progress :-)
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    That is an awesome report kels!!! Can't wait to hear about your measurements.
  • rjlkat
    rjlkat Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You're being good and kind to yourself - bravo! I applaud your bravery and tenacity, and decision to go about making changes in a more healthy and (hopefully!) happy manner.

Best of luck, and please do keep us informed.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I also had a long history of ED, it's awesome to hear these stories about finding balance! Keep up the great work!!!
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    thank you for sharing. i am disordered myself......it's a long road, but honesty and openness is the road out. keep up what you are doing and know that you have support!
  • kels136
    Options
    Hey people,

So I have just got back from holiday and my CUT stats are as follows:-

SW: 144.4 lbs
    Week 1: 142.2 (-2.2)
    Week 2: 143 (+0.8)
    Week 3: Holiday
    Week 4: 149.4 (+6.4)

Obviously from looking at the above my first week of CUT was the best but due to a holiday I have managed to gain back all my weight since starting this journey. However, my mind frame is very different from when I started and I know that most of this will be water weight and should come off when I start exercising and eating clean again.

I will update you all on my progress again in 1 month's time (hopefully with pictures and measurements).

Love and peace to you all x
  • rr85114
    rr85114 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hey kels,

Firstly, thank you for sharing your story. It's inspiring to see how far you've come and I'm sure it took some real strength and determination - well done.

I'm sure most of the holiday weight is water, and that once you get back into your routine a lot of it will drop off.

Looking forward to your updates :)

Hey people,

So I have just got back from holiday and my CUT stats are as follows:-

SW: 144.4 lbs
    Week 1: 142.2 (-2.2)
    Week 2: 143 (+0.8)
    Week 3: Holiday
    Week 4: 149.4 (+6.4)

Obviously from looking at the above my first week of CUT was the best but due to a holiday I have managed to gain back all my weight since starting this journey. However, my mind frame is very different from when I started and I know that most of this will be water weight and should come off when I start exercising and eating clean again.

I will update you all on my progress again in 1 month's time (hopefully with pictures and measurements).

Love and peace to you all x
  • kels136
    Options
    ***UPDATE – 22 SEPTEMBER 2012***

Weight = 144.6 lbs (+2 lbs)
    Leg = 22.5 inches (-0.5 inches)
    Waist = 30 inches (-1 inch)
    Hips = 34.5 inches (-1.5 inches)
    Chest = 33.5 inches (-1.5 inches)
    Arm = 13 inches (+1 inch)

So I have now been doing EM2WL for 4 months and one day I hope to never count calories or worry about the scale again. I am slowly getting there but this journey is for the long haul so I’m going to be patient and as long as I see some results in any form I know this is the right path for me. Just joining EM2WL for the past 4 months has made me realise how much love I have for the body that God gave me :-) I want to treat it with respect and compassion like I would my friends and family. I want to pamper it and make it feel good by giving it healthy food and exercise daily. I also want to treat my body to pleasure whether that be food, new clothes, intimacy or anything else pleasurable. I am no longer beating my body up for what she has not got…I am concentrating on what she has got and learning to make the most of that and be the BEST ME I can be :)

If you go on the EM2WL website you can see my progress pictures. In just two months there is a great difference in my body shape. I am trying to work on my tone rather than my weight and keep taking pictures to gage my progress.

I will update again in 2 months time with pictures and more measurements :-)
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You are doing fantastic! Love this update and wanted to bump it up...
  • kels136
    Options
    ***UPDATE – 20 OCTOBER 2012***

Weight = 138.8 lbs (-5.8 lbs)
    Leg = 22 inches (-0.5 inches)
    Waist = 29.5 inches (-0.5 inch)
    Hips = 34 inches (-0.5 inches)
    Chest = 32 inches (-1.5 inches)
    Arm = 13 inches (-0 inch)

So this month I have lost a total of 5.8 lbs and 3 inches!! I am so proud!!! I just ran 2 miles in 36 minutes without stopping and for someone with a crutch and one leg shorter than the other I think thats pretty amazing! :)

I have been on a 15% CUT instead of a 20% one this month because I was so hungry and look I've lost MORE weight than normal!!!! EM2WL is amazing and anyone doubting this process please be patient and consistent and you WILL see progress :)

I will update again in December!! 6 months on EM2WL!!

xx