Who is in and why?

Options
KravMark
KravMark Posts: 308 Member
Thought I'd start things off with a question: Are you in and if so why?

Mark

Replies

• KravMark
    Options
    Here's why I'm in... I have taught martial arts for over 12 years and have always been overweight. The main reason is simple, I love food and use working out as an excuse to eat . For a long while i would content myself that I could do more exercise than my thinner counterparts but that excuse is over. I want my body back without these extra pounds and MFP supporters like you are helping me do that . Thank you!

Feel free to add me to your friends list
    Mark
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I have been overweight my whole life. When I was young, I had severe childhood asthma and I couldn't participate in many sports or gym class. I was in little league softball and elementary basketball but I was almost never "played" because Id have an attack. It was more to include me. Therefor I really didn't learn exercise was a critical part of peoples lives.

So, then I grew up with a bad family-too long of a story, moved out when I was 16 and I used food for comfort. Not until I attended a bunch of classes at the local college and lectures/conference type things, did I start to learn how to cope with my emotions and understand why I was overeating. I still do it when I am overly emo but I am trying hard to work passed it. Thats when my journey began. It just happened on its own honestly. I just woke up one day and started walking, then started eating better...it was a very natural process for me.

I truly believe that its not just about food or exercise though. Its about changing the way you look at things and replacing unwanted behavior with positive actions. If you can change the way you think, you got this. Anyone can eat healthy and lose a bunch of weight but not until you address why it they gained it, it will most likely creep back on because the issues are still there. .
  • Sinisi2012
    Sinisi2012 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have been overweight my whole life. After my divorce a few years ago I lost 52lbs, going from 230lbs to 178lbs in a short time, but I did it the wrong way by starving myself, so once I started eating more the weight started creeping back on. Before I knew it I had gained back 35lbs. I decided enough is enough. I am not getting any younger and I have MS so I need to do something now while I still can!
    I had a friend from work who invited me to join her here on MFP and I have been here since April of this year. When I joined MFP I had gotten back up to 213lbs. I am happy to say that I have lost 29lbs so far with support and encouragement from all these great peeps here! I have recently hit a plateau though and I am hoping that these challenges give me the motivation to get back to losing more, even if I don't hit the 30lb mark by Christmas, which I am going to try my best to do!
  • michelletr
    michelletr Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm in. And it's because of selfish reasons. I am so tired of being the fat girl of my group of friends. When I met my hubby I weighed 100 pounds.....11 years and 2 pregnancies later I weigh 185. When I look in the mirror all I can think is ewww and wonder how in the hell my hubby can say he finds me sexy. I want to loose the weight so I can feel sexy. I'm not saying I want to weigh 100 pounds again, I don't! I was always sick when I weighed that, my goal now is 125ish. But I would like to be down to 150 by Christmas.
  • clarkeee05
    Options
    Hi there.. I am in because frankly I let myself go and then i got pregnant.. Soo here i am 5'4 at 187 lbs.. I would like to be about 140-150.. Where ever i feel good in that range. I am not making excuses but I got married 2.75 years ago to a man in the military.. our first duty station together was in Germany.. It takes 2 months for your stuff to get there!! I ate out every meal for at least 2 months. Let me tell you here in germany where everything is fried you won't last long at any weight.. sooo i was about 176 and got pregnant..(it is a great thing really but not for your body) My son is now 3 months and 1 week.. he was delivered by c section soo i didn't want to push it going back to working out too soon.. Soo here i am off to get fit.. and loose all this weight i have been packing on!!!
  • tessiscruisen
    tessiscruisen Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm in for many reasons, to be healthy and feel good about myself again. I want to see pictures of me with my family and friends and think that is a great picture WITH me in it! Most of the time I revert to taking pictures of everyone else and never let anyone take any of me.... simply beause I don't want to "ruin" the shot. No more....

I spent 7 years (2004 - 2011) going to school and never really had time for exercise or to worry about my eating habits, now that I have that behind me, I am ready to find me again.

My best friend and I decided to take a ladies only cruise next April - I would like to wear a two piece bathing suit and feel good wearing it. I started walking 3 miles every other day and exercising at home the other days, with one day of rest. I am following the South Beach diet. And in 3 weeks I've lost 11 pounds. I know it only gets harder but I'm willing to do what it takes.

PS, I'll be 42 next month. I'm happily married with 4 kids and 1 granddaughter.
  • ShaunaLaNee
    ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm in because, despite busting *kitten* for 4 months, I still love food too much, ready to see the scale move, or sizes dropping. I'm lifting heavy weights so it's either 30 lbs or 2 sizes before Christmas for me:)
  • Belle8312
    Belle8312 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,
    I have belonged to MFP for quite some time, but didn't get serious until last week. The reason behind that was because fitness is a huge part of my job (I am military) and I have not been doing too well in that department. I have always been the one that goes to school full time, works full time, volunteers for everything, has no problem working until 8 pm if necessary, but was never too good at the fitness things. Well, it is finally catching up with me and I realized I NEED TO CHANGE! So here I am.
    My ultimate goal is to lose 58 llbs, not with an exact date, but at least before it's time for me to get into a bathing suit and before my 30th birthday (next August).
    So I am IN to lose 30 pounds by Christmas, it will help me get closer to my ultimate goal and I want to look awesome at the work holiday party! :smile:
  • meb1118
    meb1118 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have been a member here for a little over a month! I am finally ready to take this weight thing seriously. I used to teach aerobics and weigh 115 back in the day! lol! Recently I got results back that I have extremely high cholesterol and I am too young for that! My husband and I are both doing this together! We started Insanity on Monday and have taken up bike riding! I am excited to see the progress that we make! Our goal is to make all of our family members jealous at Christmas dinner! lol!
  • bianca_nichole
    bianca_nichole Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I was an athlete in high school and college and had a very physical job in college. Then I had two kids, got married, and got my dream (desk) job and gained about 25lbs. I workout regularly and do pretty well with sticking to my calories most of the time but the weekends always get me. My goal is to lose 30lbs or fit into some size 8 jeans I haven't been able to wear for way too long by Christmas!
  • cupcakes_
    cupcakes_ Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm in because I have 30 more pounds to go to reach my goal weight. Let's do this peeps.
  • kelbax22
    kelbax22 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I AM IN!! I want to be healthier and have more energy. I am tired of being sluggish! I am tired of getting tired within minutes of doing anything physical! My 27th birthday is in 1 month so I am looking to lose about 10 lbs by then. 20 more lbs by Christmas. I have so many jeans that don't fit me anymore. I am not going shopping to buy a larger size!!
  • AeiriMuse
    AeiriMuse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Are you in an why?

All of my life I have been either the bulky rock of a small child or the overweight or plump one as I grew up. My worst time was after I spent two years without sleep while attending a magnet school that tried to put too much on me at once for my conditions. I destroyed my immune system back then. It has taken me until just 2 and a half years ago to finally recover my immune system back to normal. At the beginning of my sophomore year in high school, I peaked 299.6 lbs while being 5'2".

It was then that I ran into the video game, Dance Dance Revolution. I loved it so much that I played it every day, all the time. Over a summer, I lost 150lbs and shrank down to 4'10". During that summer my parents pushed the school system to let me go back to my zoned regular high school.

The night before the next school year started, my mother passed away due to lung cancer--just after the summer Olympics ended. The next couple of years were hard, but I met many friends who kept me going. However, from there until now, I had gained another 40 lbs back.

Now, all of my female friends are engaged to and/or married, and with the exception of one of them, I am the pudgiest. I've been selected as maid of honor for one, and I'm back up maid of honor for another. I, myself, have found the love of my life whom I know will one day be my husband--he just knows priorities and realizes that he needs to get me a car and possibly a new computer before he can turn around to get me a ring--and sometimes I don't understand how he can say that EVERYTHING about me is sexy. I've decided that it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks of how I look but him, but I can't stand not being able to keep up with him while running or carrying things.

When I restarted MFP back in July--when I started my new job as a security guard--I was ~190.7 lbs (5'0"). Right now, I am 179.4 lbs and I would love to challenge myself to try and hit 150 lbs by Christmas. If I'm already seeing the effect on my body after 10 lbs, I can only dream what I will look like once I lose another 30!

Feel free to add me as a friend. So far, after I added a bunch of people as my friends here on MFP, I have found it easier to log in everyday. In fact, I'm a little obsessive compulsive, and I try to comment on as many posts from others as I can every day. :) (And when they comment on my posts, it gives me new energy that bursts my confidence to keep pursuing this new lifestyle of health and freedom!

Let's kick 30 lbs in the rear!!!!
  • MrsCarrieRobinson
    MrsCarrieRobinson Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I am at the beginning of a very long weight loss journey. My SW is 279.8 lbs and my ultimate goal is around 150 lbs. If I can get to 250lbs by Christmas I will be one happy girl! This will give me good motivation and help keep me on track.
  • ItsFinallyHappening
    ItsFinallyHappening Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am in because I weigh 298 pounds and am so disgusted with myself I can no longer stand it. Seeing this has sparked a flame in me and I'm grateful to have you all to talk to about it. I love reading your posts, they are so motivating. Good luck!
  • KravMark
    Options
    I SOOO enjoyed reading all of your stories and thank you all for diving into this with mJuse.. We are now connected by something even cooler than MFP.... a desire to drop some serious pounds by Christmas and send looks of shock & awe to our family and friends.

Just wanted to add a couple things about myself.

1. I am no fitness expert but I have been running a martial arts school for years.. I work out like an animal but I usually overeat my calories back.. I have never until last month tracked WHAT and HOW MUCH am I eating.. So in many ways Im am very new to this.

2. I have been 20+ lbs overweight my whole life.. I just lost 10 in the past month and if i could drop 30 more by Christmas I'd be lighter than Ive been since I got into the Air Force 12 yrs ago after bootcamp.

3. Im just a group coordinator and value all of your ideas and opinions.. I do not want this to be a group where me or anyone else bosses other people around or scolds people on their lack of progress.. If you hit your Goal by Christmas, AWESOME!! If not, but got close to it, its still a win!!

4. Lets keep it positive and help each other to get to the next level of our journeys in weight loss and maintenance...This will be the best present you can give yourselves.

Oh yeah... there's another Christmas weight loss group and if you want to join it Cool.. if not thats ok too. We're not connected but we're also not in competition either..
  • labellavita5
    Options
    For me, it's about pictures. I love taking them and realized the reason I am always behind the camera is because I can't stand pictures of myself. I recently saw a sneaky picture my hubby took of me (without my knowledge) while we were on a walk and oh goodness.... it was gross.
    I too am sick and tired of not losing weight. I have the motivation but I need help with the willpower!
  • Golfgirl16
    Golfgirl16 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    labellavita5:
    I agree I'm in for that too!! I just want to look and feel great again. Christmas here we come...hopefully 30 lbs lighter too!! Good luck everyone!
  • Naddles08
    Options
    Im in! Ive always been the heavier kid in my family but not by a whole lot, then i miscarried and i got depressed. I gained over 100lbs. My family makes comments about how i went from chubby to horrible and they treat me like crap because of how I look (I didnt even look that bad to begin with) so Im doing this for me, but without their negative attitudes. Ive chosen not to mention my weight loss. Since I live so far away they have no idea I've lost 32lbs... I hope to lose another 30 by christmas so when I walk in christmas eve they all drop their jaws.. lets make this Happen!
  • Stardiva37
    Stardiva37 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Well mark we are already friends,but i have been overweight since junoir high and know it just time i have loss 53lbs and would love to lose more and plan on it. we also want to start a family and i want to be here for my honey and kid