not losing?

Options
is or did anyone find that they're not losing eating paleo/primal? maybe i'm just high with my sodium but... nothing is really working.

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    For one, you have what? about 5lbs left to your goal? Assuming your goal weight is around your ideal weight, those last few points are going to come off slowly. That's just a fact and will happen no matter what diet you choose. It's also entirely possible that the weight that you're at is your actual ideal weight (ie - the one your body, specifically, works best at). Also, did you lose the weight on your ticker since going paleo/primal? If so, then great! That's a weight loss, you are getting somewhere!

Additionally, remember that paleo/primal isn't necessarily about weight loss, but overall health. The weight loss is generally just a side effect.

How long have you be following paleo/primal? If it hasn't been very long, then keep at it, and see how your body changes in other ways. If you're still struggling, look to refine your lifestyle as a whole. Doing hours and hours of cardio and nothing else? Swap out your 5 mile runs or 20 mile bike rides for 2-3 mile walks and add in some strength training (Yoga, bodyweight stuff, weight lifting, whatever) and see how that works for you. Cut out dairy if you still use it and see if you see any changes. Experiment and see what happens. You can always go back to what was working if something doesn't work. This is a lifestyle change, not a quick fix or even a "diet" (as a verb, like those fad diets that you do until you lose the weight, then stop doing and wonder why your weight goes back up).
  • kbc525
    kbc525 Posts: 149
    Options
    no i'm not using it as a quick fix.. i know better than that but i was maybe under the assumption (which of course was stupid of me because assuming only makes an *kitten* out of ...) that dropping the processed foods and grains which i'm a sucker for would help

i've been trying everything and i can't do anything more aggressive with my workouts i lift twice a week and run about 3-4 days a week.

maybe you're right and the last 10 i would like to lose aren't going to fall off. it just becomes very discouraging and disheartening.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    It's entirely possible that it's not that you're not aggressive enough with your workouts, but rather that you're too aggressive. Try trading those runs for walks for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

And again, how long have you been doing paleo/primal? If it's only been a couple of weeks, then be patient. Like what's often said around here - you didn't gain the weight overnight, you can't expect to lose it overnight.

Another suggestion would be to try the Whole30. Part of its rules is to not weigh yourself, and the whole point behind that is to break you from relying on the scale as a measure of success or failure. That number is just another datapoint to track your overall health, no more, no less, and really, it doesn't mean much on its own anyway (just look at the number of people complaining that the scale hasn't moved, but when they look at other measurements, they've lost 6 inches everywhere and are down 4 pant sizes).
  • bubblicious84
    bubblicious84 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to lose those last few pounds to reach my goal weight, and the weight loss at this point is CRAZY slow. My body has a twisted attachment to that bit of extra baggage, I'm afraid. lol So, for me, because my body is so comfortable where it's at, I really have to mix things up now and then. One thing that's been working for me (keep in mind this has really helped, but the loss is still every 2 weeks or so) is cycling my calories. It's been more happening as a natural process from listening to my body on when I'm truly hungry and when I'm not, but I'll eat a few days of higher calories; around 1500-1600 maybe even 1700, then I'll have about 2 low days; anywhere from 800-1200 calories (if this were anywhere else on the forum, I'd get chewed out lol) After my low days, I'll usually drop some weight, then resume eating upwards of 1500 again. Sometimes I'll notice a difference when I actually make the effort to sprint a couple times a week, and I'll do a little intermittent fasting once in a while when I'm not having a really "hungry" week, such as the week before my TOM.

It's a slow, frustrating process, I know, but looking ahead to the good you're doing for your long term health is what's most important. The rest, like Dragonwolf said, will follow. Just hang in there! It's worth it :smile:

ETA - I also do a lot of walking. We live on the main street of a small town that has really steep hills, so we walk them at least 5 times a week. I do strength exercises anywhere from 1-3 times a week such as power yoga (with lots of body weight movements) or I'll pop in a P90X video.
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I agree with what Dragon wolf said above. Also I took a quick look through your diary and the days you are logging look to me like you are either not logging everything or eating WAY under you alloted daily calories. Not getting in enough calories, especially considering your runs and strength training is NOT going to help you lose weight. Rather your body is going to hold on to whatever it can because you aren't providing enough fuel for it to burn any more. Also judging by your diary you've only been attempting to eat paleo/primal for about two weeks, since around August 12th you have buttered rolls and angel hair pasta logged.

Give it more time and don't be scared to eat your calories. Only eating 600-800 calories when your daily goal is 1500 is just not going to help you reach your goals and certainly won't help you get any healthier.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Not knowing your specific goals, I'll just make a general comment....

Because society feeds us these odd images of what is considered 'perfect', we all have a tendency (especially women) to go for unrealistic weight goals. I may want to set my ideal weight at 175, but my body may simply be designed so that its perfect weight is at 185. No matter how hard I strive to achieve 175, the minute I let up my guard, my body will climb back to 185. So - do I strive for someone else's idea of the perfect weight - or do I accept that I'll never be tall and rangy like my dad, but short and medium like my mum. I'd rather be tall and rangy - but my genes say otherwise.

This is where listening to your body comes in.

If you are eating healthily, not over- or under- eating, and are within a few pounds of where you think you should be, then just stay the course and get on with your life. If your body WANTS to adjust those last few pounds - it will over time. If it is most comfortable where it is, it's gonna fight you every step of the way - and who wants to live like that? Accept what is, and lead a healthy - and happy - life.