New to Keto

Options
Hello my fellow /r/Keto's

What are everyone's carb/protein/fat set at in grams on here? The reason why I ask is because in order for me to get down to my GW, I need to consume 1387 calories to get there in 9 months. This is doable for me, because I am looking at dropping around 70 lbs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and since today is day 1 of my keto path, please look at my diary and see if I am doing it right. Thanks everyone, and feel free to add me on here.

Replies

• jacolys
    jacolys Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just started Monday, so woo for new Keto-er's :) Did you read the docs in the sidebar at r/Keto? They helped tremendously to get started.

First things first- have you changed your goal percentage to reflect Keto? If not, go to the 'Food' tab, then click 'Settings'. Under your "Nutrients Tracked", make sure you have Carbs, Fiber, Protein, and Fats. Hit save at the bottom.

Next, to set your percentages correctly, go to 'My Home' tab. Click on 'Goals'. Scroll down to the bottom where it says "Change Goals" and click it. Then choose 'Custom' and click continue. Under "Daily Nutritional Goals", change the Carbs percentage to 5%, the Protein percentage to 30%, and the Fat percentage to 65%. Then click "Change Goals" at the bottom. This will change the allotted amount of Carbs, Proteins, and Fats in your diary.

Also, as a heads up, MFP doesn't do 'Net Carbs' which is [total grams of Carbs in Item A] -- [total grams of Fiber in Item A] so you'll have to track that on your own by subtracting your "Fiber" amount from your Carbs amount to reach your "Net Carbs" amount. As a general rule, you want to stay below 20-25 Net Carbs per day.

Other than that, I would reccomend entering foods in your MFP before you eat because there are hidden Carbs everywhere.

As for me, I'm looking to lose about 45 pounds over the next 7 months, through Keto and then through running once I'm solidly on Keto. Best of luck and welcome :)
  • keeperofaframer
    Options
    Thank you so much for replying! I just printed out keto in a nutshell. For some reason it has been busy and hasn't let me open it at work. I just changed my MPF goals . It's day one for me and so far I feel great! I just have to make sure to eat and not go over my calories for the day, especially after looking at all of those low carb recipes. :) Good luck and I am sure I will have more questions. Thanks again for your help!
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for over a year and have lost >50lbs. If you've got ANY questions, feel free to ask in a message or on my page. :)
  • AllyCatBlu
    Options
    thank for the %s
  • keeperofaframer
    Options
    Thanks for the comments:

Update: I lost 4 lbs in one week on Keto. Keto rocks!!!
  • saintsfanatik
    saintsfanatik Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments:

Update: I lost 4 lbs in one week on Keto. Keto rocks!!!

No, my friend...YOU rock Keto!!!
  • L1brar1an
    L1brar1an Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi there and welcome!

I just wanted to link to a cool script that will calculate net carbs for you while in MFP.
    http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/124645

Like santsfanatik said, ROCK THAT KETO!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    Hello my fellow /r/Keto's

What are everyone's carb/protein/fat set at in grams on here? The reason why I ask is because in order for me to get down to my GW, I need to consume 1387 calories to get there in 9 months. This is doable for me, because I am looking at dropping around 70 lbs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and since today is day 1 of my keto path, please look at my diary and see if I am doing it right. Thanks everyone, and feel free to add me on here.

hi there! grats on your 4 pounds.

just watch out for all the processed stuff you eat.. it's 'low carb', but not healthy!
    and more vegetables! yes, they have carbs, but you do subtract the fibre, so they're really not scary. people don't get fat from eating broccoli and zucchini :P
    track your sodium too.. with all the bacon bits and processed meats.. it might be a bit high.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    I just have to make sure to eat and not go over my calories for the day, especially after looking at all of those low carb recipes. :)

calories aren't as important. because you're in ketosis. it's okay to eat more if you're hungry.. but if you're not hungry don't force yourself!