Maintaining Muscle

Options
Qarol
Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
So I started this whole lifting heavy thing because everything I read about weight loss suggested that you might lose muscle while you're losing overall weight. I didn't want that. I wanted to hold onto as much muscle as I could, while losing fat and getting closer to my goal weight. Plus, I was already stuck in a plateau from Thanksgiving to March. I knew I needed to do something different.

Then I got sucked into the "fun" of making all these strength gains. I totally dig it when I can bang out a new weight. I feel badass. I even tried throwing out the scale for 6 weeks. That...was a bad idea. I gained.

But my weight loss results are totally underwhelming, for me. Right when I first started 5 months ago, I shot up around 8 lbs. Today, I'm 2 lbs higher than that. I haven't been able to take off the weight. I take measurements, those haven't really changed. I take pictures, and while yes, overall I'm firmer and look better, I'm still essentially the same size. I haven't really slimmed down. I'm still obese. OBESE. Moderately overweight, I could handle. But not obese.

Here's my question: What if I stopped increasing the weights for a while? Would that be OK? What are the downsides to that? I don't want to quit, but the idea of pushing out heavier and heavier weights with my lack of results is not so exciting anymore. It's like I need a break from lifting, but I don't want to take a break from it. I don't want to disrupt my commitment. I'm afraid I'll have a harder time getting back to it if I stop altogether.

Thanks for letting me unload...

Replies

• RunningDirty
    Options
    I'm in a similar STUCK place with this so this is kind of a bump.

I think I need to increase my cardio versus dropping weight. I can't see how losing strength could be a healthy benefit.

I noticed since I reduced my running from 4 miles to 2 miles per run I hit a plateau and have not come out of it. I may need to modify my diet as well.

Curious what others have to say, but you're doing so great with your strength training! Gah! I know plateaus are frustrating. Mine is going on 4 months, but I do see a difference in the mirror, more definition and I feel firmer, like you mentioned.

Have you had your BF tested? I'm thinking about getting mine tested just to see where I am at this point; it's been a while.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    So I started this whole lifting heavy thing because everything I read about weight loss suggested that you might lose muscle while you're losing overall weight. I didn't want that. I wanted to hold onto as much muscle as I could, while losing fat and getting closer to my goal weight. Plus, I was already stuck in a plateau from Thanksgiving to March. I knew I needed to do something different.

Then I got sucked into the "fun" of making all these strength gains. I totally dig it when I can bang out a new weight. I feel badass. I even tried throwing out the scale for 6 weeks. That...was a bad idea. I gained.

But my weight loss results are totally underwhelming, for me. Right when I first started 5 months ago, I shot up around 8 lbs. Today, I'm 2 lbs higher than that. I haven't been able to take off the weight. I take measurements, those haven't really changed. I take pictures, and while yes, overall I'm firmer and look better, I'm still essentially the same size. I haven't really slimmed down. I'm still obese. OBESE. Moderately overweight, I could handle. But not obese.

Here's my question: What if I stopped increasing the weights for a while? Would that be OK? What are the downsides to that? I don't want to quit, but the idea of pushing out heavier and heavier weights with my lack of results is not so exciting anymore. It's like I need a break from lifting, but I don't want to take a break from it. I don't want to disrupt my commitment. I'm afraid I'll have a harder time getting back to it if I stop altogether.

Thanks for letting me unload...

I am in the exact same plateau situation since I started lifting heavy. My measurements are all pretty much the same as they were last October, and I weigh somewhere between 7-10 lbs more. But I look so much better, I feel so much better, and I am so much stronger ... and I know that you are too.

The things that weight training has provided for you are not things that you want to give up. You've added muscle -- embrace your newbie gains and how sexy it is that your body is recomping itself into a much stronger shape. If you're hoping that by not progress your load you'll break your plateau -- I don't think that's the change that you need to make. I've come to the realization that I need to make modifications, too, but we have to make the right ones. Stopping your weight progression is not the right change.

I'm considering changing my lifting schedule to only 2-3 days per week and adding in a day purely dedicated to HIIT (because this is the only cardio I like besides my boxing class). I'm also reeling in my calories a little more.

All of this said, know that you may need to take a week off of lifting. We need that break sometimes ... and it's much better to take a week off than to stop weight progression.

Good luck, Q. I hope you find what works!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    You could drop your volume and maybe add some "metabolic training".

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html

I don't know if that fact that you are continually adding weight is what is causing your plateau.
  • Qarol
    Options
    I don't know if that fact that you are continually adding weight is what is causing your plateau.
    I'm sorry if I made it sound like I thought they were related. I just wanted to know if lifting at the same weights for a while would affect muscle. And how. That's all.
  • RunningDirty
    Options

I'm considering changing my lifting schedule to only 2-3 days per week and adding in a day purely dedicated to HIIT (because this is the only cardio I like besides my boxing class). I'm also reeling in my calories a little more.

Can you (or anyone) recommend any good HIIT workouts or sites that may offer some?
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options

Can you (or anyone) recommend any good HIIT workouts or sites that may offer some?

I just make mine up. I don't think they're exactly HIIT. For instance, yesterday I did 3 rounds of the following: 3 minutes sprint jump rope, the last minute 30 seconds all-out speed, 30 seconds one leg. Followed immediately by 20 jump squats (which was my recovery), followed by 3, 100 foot suicide sprints (a total of 100 yards), followed by 15 push-ups and 50 crunches (recovery). Repeat. 0 or as little rest time as possible between activities. Strict HIIT would be more like, 30 second sprint followed by a 15 second jog, repeat for however long you want. But I find that boring.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate...I am losing REALLY slowly since I started lifting heavy. Looking at my caloric deficit, I should be losing a pound or more a week....but I am not. It's more like half a pound per week if that. It is discouraging but I can see the difference in the mirror (or pictures)...my clothes are also telling the truth and so are other people who notice my weight loss. I know how hard this is psychologically though...but this is also something I've had to fight through for a while. I have always been a cardio girl and anti muscle...ironically until I started lifting heavy and seeing the difference. It was love at first DOM....anyways, I get discouraged with my slower than average loss and still have the urge to just jump on the elliptical and burn a thousand calories like the old days....I feel like I'm in recovery almost. I hope you are able to work your way through this too. I think muscle re-composition is a very slow process for us gals....just stick with it. You might want to consider dropping down to lifting 2-3 times per week. If you do cardio, I'd recommend only doing moderate on off days as opposed to HIIT. I do it after lifting because I have no other choice but my lifting and cardio is suffering because of it. I am not a fan of HIIT obviously....it makes me feel like I'm spinning my wheels and I am too exhausted . I think HIIT is the new rage and this time next year we will be talking about something else....here is an interesting article: http://stronglifts.com/hiit-interval-training-fat-loss/
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I had some gain when I started that it took me a while to shake, and I think it was mostly because I was overeating for a few weeks, I was having a lot of hunger and feeling very IDGAF about it. Have you eliminated that as a possibility? On the flip side -after doing that for a few weeks I battened down the hatches for a few weeks and found it MUCH easier to restrict during that time - I got back down at least to what I had been although I haven't seen a weight below that. So in terms of weight loss, I'm sure you've already got ideas but as you know, food matters.

On the muscle mass maintenance - my understanding is that if you don't continuously increase load you won't get the same amount of benefits of retention, BUT I also don't think it is necessary to increase at the speed that stronglifts indicates. I would suggest trying something like 2 days at the same weight and reps, 2 days at the same weight but add a few reps (1 to each set, or 2, depending on how you feel), 2 more days with a tiny add (since you've got those fractionals, might as well use em). Alternately you could do a program shift. You've been doing this for several months right? If you've passed the 6 month mark I don't think it would be out of line to switch to an intermediate program, even if your weights are not where you'd like them to be yet. Wendler's 5/3/1 includes some higher rep assistance work that I feel has been good for my muscle endurance which is something stronglifts doesn't work on.
  • sweetsungirl
    Options
    Hey Q, Just posted this is on my own feed, but wanted to share it with you: The 10 Commandments for Simple Fat Loss
    http://www.niashanks.com/2012/07/10-commandments-for-simple-fat-loss/

The article is posted from a FB group called "Girls Gone Strong." They are very reputable and have some amazing information. From my own personal experience, I ONLY lose body fat or break plateaus when I am following this principle: 1. Eat real food at least 90% of the time. Real food = items such as grass fed meats, wild caught fish, free range eggs, fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds. Although my nutrition is far from perfect most of the time, I am trying to follow this a little more closely and will continue to in the future.

Even though I am overweight (upwards of 180lbs at 5ft.8.) I noticed this morning that my legs and abs are becoming more firm. Things are less jiggly! I will take this small victory, although the scale has not moved moved since I got back from holidays mid July and started my heavy lifting program.

Hang in there, girl. I know you will find what works for you, even if you have to tweak it a bit from time to time. As with all advice, take what want, and leave the rest :)
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I had this exact issue - I started lifting in September 2011 and from that point on my weight loss stalled. I went up and down for teh next 9 months until this past July when I started seeing a nutritionist. I realized, after working with her, that I was eating a bit too much for the amount I was burning in exercise. Weight training just doesn't burn the same calories as cardio. In June I started tracking my weight daily again and watched it rise - averaging 197.5 for the month. I decided to take some time away from lifting, up my cardio, and really focus on the amount and quality of food I'm eating. My weight is down to 191.6 as of yesterday, and I've only dropped my calories by about 200 and upped my exercise calories by 50. I'm still doing resistance training - pushups, planks, and circuit style free weights - so I don't lose the muscle I built, but I'm not doing any barbell work.

I miss it, because I also loved feeling like a badass when I lifted something really heavy, but the weights will still be there when I am at my goal weight. Strangely, what convinced me was the very same article that inspires so many women on here to lift heavy - http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/. In her story, and so many others I have read, all these women lost the weight first, and then added the muscle. I'm sure there are others who've managed to lose through heavy lifting, but it just wasn't happening for me. I'm only 30 pounds away from my goal and I can't wait to get back in the weight room and kick *kitten* again, because now that things are moving again I am confident that I'll get back there soon.
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Really interesting thread. I've been doing 5x5 for 1 month. I think my progress is good, and I think my scale weight loss has slowed, but fat composition and movement have picked up. I do 2 Stronglifts a week, 1 circuit day, and 2-3 days of 25-30 min cardio usually hiit. I might pick up a body pump class or yoga in there too. Still restricting cals, 1200 or less. So movement, but slower than my deficeit indicates.
  • Qarol
    Options
    Thanks, ladies, for all your input. I was in a bad place mentally when I wrote that (probably not such a good idea).

I've got a little game plan decided. I do think I need a true diet break. I've not really taken more than a week off at any one time in two years. I've just been pushing and pushing, desperate to reach goal. I need to relax. I plan to take a full 6 weeks off and attempt to eat around maintenance.

As for SL, yes, I've been at it for a while (since March). I now realize that if I'd been following it as it's laid out, increasing 5 lbs each time, I would have needed to switch to Madcow by now, for sure. I've decided to tweak my lifting a bit:

Squats: I still love these, so I want to continue 5x5, increasing 2.5 lbs each time until I truly fail. Then reevaluate.

Upper Body (bench, rows, OHP): Switch to 3x5, continue increasing 1 lb each workout

DL: Since these are 1x5 anyway, no change. Increase 2.5 lbs each time (my two warm up sets are -30 lbs & -15 lbs)

Thanks again for letting me unload and being so supportive and patient with me. You gals truly are stellar.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I'm slightly reluctant to post this, as I think I'm becoming a bit of a fasting bore to some of my pals, so for anyone who already knows me, just ignore this!

I had exactly the same issue after 6 months of the NROLFW, and now continuing on Stronglifts 5x5. I was relatively lean when I started lifting, but put on a few pounds early on which I haven't been able to shift. I do like the physical (and psychological) changes which lifting brings, and I am committed to continuing for general health & fitness reasons. The difficulty I have is the hunger, which I am sure you are all familiar with.

I have now discovered intermittent fasting, and there are signs that finally I have found something that helps with those few pounds. There are various approaches to it, and I am using the 5:2 method (significant calorie restriction 2 days a week). The hunger comes in waves during the fast, but it is manageable, and I can eat more on non-fasting days. In general people practicing this do end up eating less overall. I'm still lifting,and the fasting doesn't seem to be a problem. In fact, there is one program called 'leangains' which claims better lifting results from fasting (I'm following 5:2 for other reasons).

Worth a look?
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Miss Maggie - the lean gains protocol is generally 16/8 - you do 16 hours fasted (presumably you sleep for 8 of them + an extra 8 hours) and then you do higher carb and higher calories on training day, and higher fat and lower carb on off days. (protein is the same all the time).

He's pretty loose with the protocol - he has some recommendations (ex: larger meal is the first meal on rest days, but the post workout meal on training days) but he tells you to do what works with your schedule and preferences.

He also has mentioned that some women don't do well on 16/8 and they do better on 14/10 (or 15/9 or whatever).

I do IF very loosely - I maintain a longish fasted period - usually 14 hours. I don't really do anything else. I play my calories very loose and easy and just try to keep my protein up.

Something you might try is eating a 20% deficit on off days and 20% surplus on training days, 16/8, rough carb/fat loading.

(check out this calculator to play around with what the calories would looklike, etc http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/)

and - Miss Q - Glad you feel better. Enjoy the hell out of your diet break. And enjoy the increased strength gains while you are eating maintenance - you'll absolutely feel it!