Gym Etiquette

Options
So I'd like to open this thread to voice the opinion of the do's and don'ts at the gym. I feel like there is a certain unspoken code at the gym but it's not always clear to everyone and obviously its all opinion and up for debate.

So the question that I had that sparked this thread is...

If you're at the gym and you see someone that has bad form or looks confused on how to use a machine, would it be right to correct them or give them advice?

I feel some people appreciate it and some may not. what are the scenarios you can help someone and cant if any?

I would always like some tips and suggestions when i'm at the gym

Replies

• invictus8
    invictus8 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I tend not to give advice but I do see about 95% of people using bad form with flat bench press. The only reason I know this is that I used to have *horrible* form until I busted my shoulders and actually learned how to use correct form. But I'd feel like a *kitten* correcting other people...
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Let them ask you, otherwise, unless it seems like a life threatenining issue, keep your advice to yourself.

unsolicited advice pisses some people off.
  • usc2626
    usc2626 Posts: 186
    Options
    Let them ask you, otherwise, unless it seems like a life threatenining issue, keep your advice to yourself.

unsolicited advice pisses some people off.

This, I see bad form all the time with guys trying to lift too much weight but trying to tell them would probably cause a fight.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Wow...****ty gyms right there.

Where I train, if form is off, it doesn't matter who you are or who they are you pull them and tell them. Never met with anger, but a keen interest to know where they are going wrong...

So glad I don't train in a commercial gym. Strength and performance gyms are where it's at.
  • ADHDentrepreneur
    Options
    Good question. The answer we (NASM certified trainers) learned in school is to leave people alone for the most part, or learn how to very tactfully approach them. People become emotionally attached to their movements and their specific form regarding it. Men especially never want to feel inferior in any way to anyone, so if you come up to them and are maybe a bit bigger or leaner, they will respond defensively. I usually approach situations like this. "Hey man, my name is Michael.. Nice squats! That's some good weight.. How long have you been lifting? (response) Oh, nice.. When i'm working on strength, (not sure what your goal is) I have found the best way to use the movement is to narrow up my stance, use a weight good for about 20 reps, and get nice and deep.. I'll show you if you'd like?
    Pay a compliment and ask them some questions to keep them from being immediately intimidated. Be tactful. It's nice that you care, but don't be a know it all.. Especially because you don't know it all. Also remember people may have different goals and be trying to accomplish something else.. or using a movement differently than you understand. I would confuse many of you with bodybuilding movements I do, but it doesn't mean I need help. ;)
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    So I'd like to open this thread to voice the opinion of the do's and don'ts at the gym. I feel like there is a certain unspoken code at the gym but it's not always clear to everyone and obviously its all opinion and up for debate.

If you're at the gym and you see someone that has bad form or looks confused on how to use a machine, would it be right to correct them or give them advice?

I feel some people appreciate it and some may not. what are the scenarios you can help someone and cant if any?

To be honest with you, if that is a body part that you happen to be hitting that day you can ask them if you want to join in. They will be noticing you are using good form and more likely may or may not approach you and you will then find them doing what you were doing. For example the other day I was doing dumbbell rows and all the benches were taken. I ask a guy to join in and didn't really care to tell him that he was doing it bad but he asked why I position my back the way I was doing and I was glad to explain to him why.

To be honest with you, most people who are concentrated in their own workout happen to be focused on what they are doing and have little time to notice these things. Not so sound like a rude *kitten* but that is the truth.
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'll just add this. The last time I offered to help someone they ended up dropping a weight on my foot. It wasn't good.

I've learned to walk away and just concentrate on my workout. If someone asks for help I'm happy to do so but I don't offer as either they don't want the help, think they are doing great or end upl needing so much more help then I can provide (and then they drop a weight on your foot)!

Just my 2 cents.
  • ZeroWoIf
    Options
    I'll just add this. The last time I offered to help someone they ended up dropping a weight on my foot. It wasn't good.

I've learned to walk away and just concentrate on my workout. If someone asks for help I'm happy to do so but I don't offer as either they don't want the help, think they are doing great or end upl needing so much more help then I can provide (and then they drop a weight on your foot)!

Just my 2 cents.

I honestly think that if someone approaches some other person and tells them to do their workout either they a trainer and trains that person, or someone who has nothing better to do. Most people in the gym tend to learn from others as they watch them workout to be honest with you.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Depends on how big the boobies are.

But seriously, it depends. If the form is bad enough that it risks injury, I'll add my advice and let them decide if they want to take it or not.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I almost never do it, unless I'm asked. 99% chance they're not gonna listen anyway.
  • AZChristy
    AZChristy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Every time I see another woman I get so excited. I want so badly to say "You want a great upper body workout step over to that bench and we'll slap some weight on that bar and get started. Don't worry I'll spot you. You're gonna love this." Instead I just smile and knod or sometimes ask for a spot. (this turned out badly last time)
  • nick1109
    nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    The gym I go to has people regularly doing stupid things like Bicep curls in the squat racks or some other stupid non-existent exercise in the racks- All the while sometimes people like me are waiting to do squats or benches!

I've mentioned to the management that they should be putting notices up or telling people doing this to stop it.
  • ZeroWoIf
    Options
    The gym I go to has people regularly doing stupid things like Bicep curls in the squat racks or some other stupid non-existent exercise in the racks- All the while sometimes people like me are waiting to do squats or benches!

I've mentioned to the management that they should be putting notices up or telling people doing this to stop it.

Reason why I lift at night at solace and peace.
  • roduk
    roduk Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    is it bad etiquette to film them? :).... personally let them get on with it.
  • nick1109
    nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
    Options

Have started doing this the last few weeks. My gym is open 24/7 so I train both my push and pull sessions at 10PM. Nobody in the gym which is cool, I Also find it a good time to workout for some reason, I feel energized and up for lifting. Not much of a morning trainer personally
  • ZeroWoIf
    Options

Have started doing this the last few weeks. My gym is open 24/7 so I train both my push and pull sessions at 10PM. Nobody in the gym which is cool, I Also find it a good time to workout for some reason, I feel energized and up for lifting. Not much of a morning trainer personally

I honestly don't see a difference in working out at night there than staying up longer at night lol. My lady thinks that Im with someone else and that gets old pretty quick but I just ignore her. Who the hell is gonna come back from a random date sweaty. Either how back to the point, at night when you are tired from work and dealing with *kitten* in general you are likely to use your frustrations to your favor.
  • FormerMarine1
    FormerMarine1 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options

• FormerMarine1
    FormerMarine1 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I once helped someone with form & technique which did help them, but then they kept coming back to me to ask me about other exercises. As a result I did not have a good workout. Sometimes it can work against you.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'm I'm questioning my form, I ask someone to look. That said, if I were doing something DANGEROUS, I'd want someone to tell me. If I'm doing something that will simply make my gains take longer, I want to be left alone. ALso, it depends on who is offering up the advice. If it is someone who is a trainer, great. If it is some creepy dude who wants an excuse to talk to me where I've seen his form and it blows, then I'm gonna be perturbed. So--before you offer up advice, you'd better know WTF you are talking about and how to correct it RIGHT.

And don't be the douche at my gym who camps out on the squat rack with tons of weights surrounding him. Yes, I could ask him to cut in, but it would mean me having to move his dumbbells, 2 barbells, various bags full of god knows what.
    Best thing that happened to me last week-someone asking me if I was in the middle of a circuit or if I was done with the pull up machine(yep-I'm a weakling chic and need to use the machine--for now)