Let's start with introductions!!!

Options

Replies

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Mel and I'm 32. Was diagnosed with OCD when I was 26 but I suspect it's been going on since I was 8. That's the earliest I can remember having intrusive thoughts and doing weird things. I am what some call a "primary obsessional", meaning my compulsions are mostly in my head, although I do some checking, especially internet searches. Google is my demon!
    Over the years the content of my obsessions has morphed, as OCD tends to focus on the things you value the most in life. At my worst, I was barely functioning and drinking myself into a stupor every night. At my best, I almost feel "normal".

The hardest part is I work as a therapist. So finding assistance in the community for myself is tough, because I know alot of the therapists out there. Tough to admit that despite all the counseling I give others, I struggle to apply it to myself. I take meds to take the edge off, but currently am struggling with a relapse that makes me question my ability at my job and my competance as a social worker. And on top of it, that last thing I want to do is eat healthy or exercise, even though that's the best thing to do.

Hello all!
  • Sky_Of_Aegis
    Sky_Of_Aegis Posts: 114
    Options
    I suspect I am mildly OCD myself. I always have things I HAVE TO DO that are irrelevant, like I drink Mio. I have six of them, and unless they are perfectly aligned in a row of 6, in 2 rows of 3, or 3 rows of 2, it drives me nuts. Sometimes, I used to do things like hold my breath from my bedroom to the downstairs "Never knew why, just had to." Sometimes, I have to touch every car meter when walking downtown, without missing one. I don't do a lot of these anymore, but I used to. If I am OCD, I am a very mild case these days I am sure, but I still do have to do some things or it bugs me.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    My name is Kristine. I recently joined this group because I thought more support is always helpful. I find my family and friends try their best but just don't understand what I am battling daily. I have not been formally diagnosed with an anxiety disorder and my symptoms are probably on the milder side, however some days I find are really difficult to get through. I recently graduated from university and I believe thats when I developed the majority of my anxiety.

I am starting my career as a new nurse, and I am so terrified of making a mistake or harming a pt. The nature of the nursing profession provides its challenges: Time restraints, responsibility of other peoples health, and workload. I am reluctant to start taking any medication, but I have been to see a health professional before.

Anyways I hope to make some new friends here and hopefully learn some coping strategies. I want to feel like myself again.
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm Alex. I haven't been technically diagnosed with specific disorders but I do suffer from depression and anxiety and have so for about 7 years. I become overwhelmed with things very easily and tend to always have a negative outlook. I have associated all my symptoms with General Anxiety Disorder, but like I said I haven't been clinically diagnosed. I am not really into taking meds so I've just recently started a homeopathic plan and hoping that in combination with a healthy lifestyle will pull me out of it.

This is my second round on MFP, and the first time around I lost around 20 pounds and toned up a lot. Unfortunately I always see my body the same no matter how it looks, still felt incredibly fat and just gave up. I'm now newly pescetarian and have new weight loss and life goals (sort of a life overhaul if you will!). I'm glad to meet you all and would love to connect with each and every one of you.. I'm glad we are all here to help each other, because we can understand where we're coming from.

c:
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I totally understand the nurses fear of harming a patient. I obsess over that. I work as a social worker, full time in a state psych hospital, and per diem in a local psychiatric emergency room. The emergency room job is sooo stressful, because I have to evaluate Pts who come in suicidal, homicidal, etc. and decide if they are safe to go home or need admission. I ALWAYS worry abou whether I made the right choice, was thorough enough etc. I wish I could quit, but social work isn't exactly fruitful employment and I need the extra dough. *sigh*

Welcome to the group both of you!
  • angel924_2004
    Options
    Hey guys. I am Angelina and I have generalized anxiety disorder and a pretty bad depression right now. I have suffered with anxiety all of my life and generally can manage, but when things get stressful the anxiety and panic gets so bad and I get super depressed. I finally found a med combo that works, but unfortunately they have made me gain a lot of weight. As someone whose self-esteem is already in the pits, the meds are like a catch-22: feel bad without them, but still feel bad about my self with them. Looking forward to interacting with and supporting people who have gone through similar experiences, because people who haven't just don't understand at all.
  • Butterfly414
    Options
    Hi, I'm Amanda.
    I used to be okay with stress. In high-school I was in band, choir, and orchestra...always with solos, and competitions, and keeping my grades up in order to perform. I'd come home on the weekends and chill until Monday when it started all over again, lol.
    Then my Sr. year of high-school I had heat stroke during a marching band event. That was the start of my anxiety disorder. I became so afraid of having another heat stroke that I would think I was having a heat stroke, when really at the time I didn't realize it was anxiety.
    My stomach would give me troubles, I was told I had IBS...but medicine for it wasn't helping. I was in and out of the hospital for chest pains, and had drs. look at me and no one could tell me what was wrong. I took "gastro-cocktails" for a while to help with the stomach pain.
    Finally during my Jr. year of college (my first time away from home) I realized that I wasn't feeling well. I would have dizzy spells, and feel the need to run out of my band-rehearsals. I went to the on-campus clinic, and they told me I had high blood pressure and needed medication. There was a reason it was nick-named "The Quack Shack" by the students. My dad knew better. When I called home, he got me on the phone and told me to go to a real doctor. He has suffered from anxiety/panic disorder for years, and he was beginning to suspect that was the case. Sure enough, he was right. I was put on paxil, which made me narcoleptic, so I was switched to Effexor xr. I felt a million times better! I wasn't nervous about having attacks or being sick all the time, and felt "normal" for the first time in my life. It was an amazing feeling!
    When I graduated from college, I moved out of state to live with my long-time fiance' (7yrs together). I "aged-out" of medical insurance, so I began to wean myself off the effexor...and let me tell you that was a nightmare. I had shakes, brain-zaps, stomach pain...you name it! My body had become addicted to the drug. I made it through however, and went without medication for a while (except what little xanax I had left, and only as-needed).
    After 8 months, my fiance dumped me and I went into a super depression. I came home, and thanks to the age limit changing to 26 years old, I went back on my parents insurance. I then bounced around from drug to drug trying to find the correct one. Wellabutrin was the worst. I was literally in bed for weeks, unable to breathe easily, unable to stand to walk to the restroom...a complete nightmare.
    I am now taking Cymbalta, and my mom was nearly in tears telling my doctor "we have our daughter back." I still have a lot of issues with panic attacks, but they are slowly getting better and I am much healthier now than I was this time last year.

As a hopeful future educator, it's difficult to keep the fact of my disorder hush-hush...after all, anti-depressants have a negative connotation associated with them. People assume that the smallest thing will set you off, or the medicines will make you crazy. I love to teach, though (currently subbing) so I'm still going to try.
    I also hope to write a book about mine, and my family's struggles with depression and anxiety some day (it runs very far back in our genes) when I build up enough courage to talk about it more freely. Right now, being unemployed...it's too soon.

At any rate, sorry for the long life-story haha. Nice to meet everyone!
  • Altiv
    Altiv Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm Paulina

Although I'm not officially diagnosed with any kind of anxiety disorder I recognize myself as an hypochondriac (name a disease and I'm sure I will look up for the symptoms and believe something is wrong with me) and also a really anxious person, I joined this group looking for support and also to help others if I can ;)

I've always been a really nervous girl, I was always afraid of speaking in public, I would blush and have problems expressing myself, I never liked meeting new people nor going out by myself, but never had any other problems... until four years ago when my father collapsed in the middle of the night (he's ok nowadays) since then and for the following weeks I would mimic every night the symptoms that I thought meant a heart attack (numbness, chest pain and tachycardia) but with the help from my mom I overcame that.

This year, when I was exercising I had a sudden increase of my heart rate and since then, even though I went to the cardiologist I keep thinking something is bad about my heart, I'm obsessed over my heart rate (I can measure it over 10 times a day) and exercising has become my major fear, I keep thinking I'm going to collapse or have a heart attack even hours after finishing my routine.

I'm also a Law student and I want to be a judge when I end my education, but I'm always worried about my own choices or if my judges or opinions are ok, I just don't trust myself enough )=
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I am Jenny married for 7 years to a husband who is in the navy on submarines. Have 2 children.I have been diagnosd with anxiety disorder. I have suffered from it for as long as I can remeber but it got so much worse after I have my first child. I went to the doctors and was diagnosed. I have massive panic attacks but it has been so much better since I have been on lexapro. My father had anxiety and depression and mom has depression. I also suffer from cronic migraines and am on medication for that. Last time I went to the docotr I found out I have a metabolic syndrom due to the weight I have gotten to. I think after my dad passed in 2010 I had more panic attacks then ever before.
  • martymays
    martymays Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Marty and I have clinical depression and anxiety. I was always a moody person and just thought that's all it was. That is until May 11th, 2000. My dad was in the funeral home. Almost everyone else had left except my sister and a couple of friends. We were sitting chatting and I suddenly started feeling sick. Ears ringing, skin tingling, nauseous, etc. Next thing I know, my sister is on top of me on the floor checking my pulse and if I was breathing. I had fainted. Never had happened before. I was transported via ambulance to the E.R. because no one, including myself, knew what was wrong with me. I was more scared than I had ever been in my life. I KNEW that I was going to die and no one could help me. There was nothing physically wrong with me, however. Doc gave me a shot of something and I went out for about 10 hrs, but when I woke up I was still in a panic. I later learned that this was my first panic attack. Ever since, I have suffered with severe depression and anxiety. The meds I take keep it livable, but make me gain weight. About 70 lbs since then. I am hoping that I can lose some of this weight and get my life back to where I enjoy myself.
  • jericamom
    jericamom Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi, Marty. Welcome to the group.
  • reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Marty, welcome. I have had panic attacks like that before and have been to the ER several times. I now lived frightened of my next one. It's awful. I am currently trying out different meds hoping to get one that works.
  • martymays
    Options
    Marty, welcome. I have had panic attacks like that before and have been to the ER several times. I now lived frightened of my next one. It's awful. I am currently trying out different meds hoping to get one that works.
    I wish you the best of luck finding the right meds. I've been to the ER several times also with anxiety/panic attacks, and each time I had myself convinced that I was dying. Its been about 3 years since my last ER visit though.
    I thought I was going to have to go today. Apparently with the way I've been eating the past few days, I let my blood glucose level get too low. I was at work and suddenly broke out in a cold sweat, heart racing, confused as to what was going on around me, dizzy, tremling. I didn't know what was going on, but my wife convinced me just to sit down and have a snack and try to keep calm. After about 30 minutes, I felt a lot better but still had the shakes for a couple more hours. I've never had that happen to me before, but I feel fine now. Thanks for sharing you experience with the rest of us!
  • martymays
    Options
    Hi, Marty. Welcome to the group.
    Thank you!
  • grimlaur
    Options
    Hello everyone..

My name is Matthew I am a recovered functioning Anxiety problem. I hear you, I have only my experience.
  • lcarter4414
    Options
    Hey everyone,
    my name is Lauren. I was invited here by my friend Brandon who runs this group. I have had anxiety since I was about sixteen when I had a friend take his life in a traumatic way. I have anxiety and PTSD. I use to go to a psychologist but it only helped for a little so I have done most of it on my own,I like to do things that way.
  • deeschange
    deeschange Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Need a support group and found this on MFP. Looking forward to learning, sharing and healing.

I'm not sure what I've got....as its been called different things by different docs.....still searching for the right one who takes more than 10 minutes talk to me and throws a huge dose of medicine at me......what ever it is though it certainly involves anxiety and panic....

One said Panic disorder, another PTSD, and yet another GAD..........I just know it doesn't feel good and like many of the others have posted few friends and family really understand.......they simply say "press through".....

Would really like to use alternative methods to control; i.e. acupuncture, meditation, exercise to control, but realize that for now med may be required.

Dee
  • miscette
    miscette Posts: 5
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend on this site. Would love to make a couple friends as I can't in real life. I feel it would help :)

I had something called Selective Mutism when I came of speaking age. I would only talk to my mother and very occasionally my sister and father. When I say mute I mean not a word, not a yes or no, complete silence when spoken to. I'd have to write on paper and hand it to the teacher if I truly needed to ask her something (such as using the restroom).

This slowly started to dissipate around 5th grade. Then the heavy social anxiety began from then on.

I didn't know this was even a thing. I didn't realize there were different degrees of anxiety and I never noticed anyone acting like me in any way. I thought I was completely alone, a freak, etc. I kept being told I would "grow out of it".

At around 17 or 18 I googled my symptoms and had an overwhelming sigh of relief. It's not just me... I am not alone.

I never saw a single therapist or medical doctor until a very supportive acquaintance helped me get it started. I filed for Social Security Disability and was quickly accepted, under my deceased father's name/legacy because I have never worked in my life for more than two weeks at a time.I think they call it disabled or dependent disabled child. It's confusing to explain but I essentially receive the same amount that a person who has worked enough to qualify for the regular kind of Disability under the SSA. :P

I've since developed, most recently Panic Disorder and a sharp increase in GAD. I have panic attacks on a daily basis and am currently taking Lexapro, Lamictal 250mg, Trazodone (100mg) and Xanax (4mg). I feel like the Xanax is the only thing that helps me but my doctor and I are still trying out different medications in hopes that eventually one will work. I worry I will be on benzos for the rest of my life. At the same time I am terrified to be without them.

I am lost and have zero doubts I will be dealing with this for the rest of my life.
  • SweetGamer17
    SweetGamer17 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi My name is Heather and I'm 26. I have panic disorder. Through my life I had always had bits of anxiety but rarely came up till this year. About 2 months ago my 18 year old brother passed away from a type of cardiomyopathy(heart problem). Tragic time as it was I seemed fine upset and grieving of course but other than that no signs of anxiety nor this panic disorder. Till literally a week ago later on in the night it start the tight chest, the feeling of hardly being able to get breathes and the nervous anxiety feeling that the only way I can explain has I just felt weird. Well my sister has anxiety attacks so when I had called her she said its just anxiety just breathe through it. Well I went to bed of course just couldn't didn't want to laydown just couldn't be still but then forced myself to laydown till my body was just so tired I passed out. The next day I awoke feeling nauseated and just nervous feeling and kept that all day. Then that night it happened all over again but more extreme it woke me from my sleep. My fiancé said come on we are going to the ER. We go sit there for 5 hours test of test in the end the Doc says you have anxiety and you need to come to terms with it and work through it and I suggest you see a psychiatrist(not sure if spelled right). So I felt relieved to know nothing serious like my heart was the problem. Then my day goes as normal till bedtime of course but not so bad enough I could actually sleep. The next day I awake to the nausea once again and nervousness I eat breakfast and it goes away and my day is normal I even felt myself. Then night comes and it starts at this point I'm just so frustrated and keep thinking its something they missed which makes it worse but eventually I make myself go laydown. Then barely a hour into sleep I get awoken to extreme anxiety mainly a panic attack and just start crying to my mom and fiancé that something is wrong and I cant do this so I call off of work almost that morning wanting to go to ER but didn't. Then Saturday comes I feel better nauseated in the morning with nervousness but I eat and feel better day goes great night goes great I'm thinking good whatever is going on is getting better boy I was wrong. Sunday I awake nauseated and nervousness get to work eat some breakfast felt better and my day went great. Get home gets close to bed and it starts horrible this time but once again I force myself to sleep then 4 am comes and I'm jolted I feel constricted in the chest area felt like I couldn't get a breath and this episode is by far the worst I get up to kind of help my breathing not working so I panic of course drink water nothing is working so fiancé once again is like we are going to ER. We ran red lights everything I'm shaking literally feel like I'm going to die and we get to the ER. Same test are done as always and then I start feeling better I get back to the Doc and he checks more into the heart. He said everything is great you sound great you have no problems but suggested the same see a psychiatrist(not sure again on spelling) and said I was having panic attacks then gave me some meds Klonopin .5mg. I get home feeling better but still edgy so I take the prescribed amount and go to sleep. I wake up relieved and feeling a little weird but better. Then head to work for a overnight shift and feel fine the whole shift and then come to today and I feel fine today as well haven't even taken any meds today though I do feel a wee bit of anxiety. Long story I know but to introduce myself I feel people should know the background and that I haven't really been this way long. Its just nice to know I'm not alone and it would just be nice to know I'm not just crazy. Thank you
  • deeschange
    deeschange Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Welcome and thanks for sharing your story......Nope we're not crazy.