What foods...

Options
What foods triggers your UC?

Replies

• striskjorta
    Options
    artificial sweetners, lactose, fat from milk products, too much fiber, alcohol
  • fab_ridz
    fab_ridz Posts: 73
    Options
    for me: artificial sweetners, coffee, too much milk (i am fine with yogurt and cheese), lettuce and spinach and anything leafy that is raw!
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Coffee, tabbouli, some juices (I think - the tabbouli and offending juice are from the same restaurant so it could be a third item I haven't considered). Sugar-free gum. I eat pretty much all my veggies cooked so I don't know about raw leafy stuff.
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Friggin' coffee and I love coffee : (

Too much garlic
    too much onions
    Too much spice

some tea (like black tea)
    too much sugar
    Wheat/dairy (so I don't eat wheat or dairy for years now)
    too much potatoes/sweet potatoes
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    significant doses of caffeine. i had to give up regular coffee in 2010, and i was a big coffee drinker. these days, i can have a (caffeinated) diet coke or two every once in a while, but i don't push it.

my GI doc told me to avoid milk, also, which i have done. i don't know if that was a trigger or not. i miss ice cream, but it's so calorie dense that i would barely eat it anyway.
  • troberts1521
    Options
    My trigger foods:
    Ditto on the caffeine...(and I used to be addicted, ie. coffee all morning and mountain dew all afternoon, and CHOCOLATE! :P No more....). Spicy foods. Red meat, and sometimes pork. Pretty much all fruits and veggies right now, with the exception of the occasional canned or otherwise processed fruits / vegetables. Also, anything but refined grains are a trigger for me.
    I am, however, completely ok with milk products so far, but I only drink milk on occasion. I can also do just fine w/ starches like potatoes and rice.
    My comfort foods:
    White bread, Saltine crackers, most mild cheeses, chicken, potatoes, rice, and vanilla ice cream.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    No foods trigger me. It's just stress and then within a month, starting with mucous, then blood in the stools, I'm a mess. Takes meds to come out of it. I asked my gastro if foods can trigger me and he said no, it's autoimmune, not diet related. For the longest time, I thought it was foods that could help or harm me. Sure, a low residue diet helps me coming out of my flare but it's only stress that caused it.
  • taintedbutterfly18
    Options
    popcorn
    Red meat like steak, pork, sausage.
  • jovigirl26
    Options
    For me its..... VEGGIES most of them, processed food- deli meats. (which i stay away from) mac and cheese anything with the face powder cheese mises etc... ice cream at times. orange juice, lots of juices bother me. Good to keep a journal.
  • AKbluedragonfly
    AKbluedragonfly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Anything that's really high in fiber like beans. Coconut flakes will do it. Caffeine a little. Things with fake sweeteners in them like gum.
  • chefsusan
    chefsusan Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    milk (doing soy and almond now) red meat, sometimes pork, I can eat hamburgers from fast food places. most fresh fruit and veggies, I can eat canned veggies.potatoes, rice, ice cream, spices, garlic, caffeine, fake sweeteners (although I can drink diet white sodas) no dark sodas, chocolate, beans, leafy veggies, no red sauces.

Is there anything left?

Anything processed is best for me. Low/no fiber, pure sugar, honey, pasta. Does this help the diet? NO! ha