Hummus

Options
Have just discovered this wonderful food. Anyone have any good recipes? I got this from a another MFP member.

Easy Hummus - 23 Calories per servings Total fat - 0.2g

Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Ready Time: 5 minutes

Servings: 16

Ingredients:

1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas/garbanzo beans, drained, liquid reserved
2 ounces fresh jalapeno pepper, sliced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoon lemon juice
3 cloves garlic, minced

Directions:

1. In a blender or food processor, combine ingredients and 1 tablespoon or the reserved bean liquid. Blend until smooth.

Note:

I add a little more bean liquid. Also, I love garlic, so I love to add a little more

Replies

• PoisonDartFrog
    PoisonDartFrog Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Have you tried making "deviled" eggs with hummus instead of mayo! Low fat and high in protein.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I make hummus all the time. I prefer it to buying it.

This is what I do:

1 can chickpeas (reserve liquid to help with consistency)
    1T of tahini paste
    2 cloves of garlic
    1 t olive oil
    1-2T of lemon juice
    salt to taste
    Now I add whatever I am in the mood for- jalapenos, sundried tomatoes, kalamata olives, chives, dill

Blend in blender or food processor.
  • Ceolan
    Ceolan Posts: 4
    Options
    I like hummus, but in my opinion Moroccan hummus and hasa al hummus is the best. Instead of grinding up the chickpeas/garbanzos ('hummus' in Arabic), they are simmered at low heat for 3 hours. Good if done in western style metal cookware, better in stoneware, best if done in an authentic tagine (clay)!

1 medium onion, finely diced
    2 c garbanzos, soaked overnight
    OR
    1 15-oz can of chickpeas
    1 c water
    1 Tbsp oil (olive, grapeseed, etc.)
    2 Tbsp ras el hanout (http://moroccanfood.about.com/od/maindishes/r/ras_el_hanout_recipe.htm if you want to mix your own)
    4 medium tomatoes
    OR
    1 15 or 16-oz can tomatoes
    1 tsp harissa OR red pepper flakes OR chile paste
    2 Tbsp orange blossom water
    1 c parsley, chopped
    1 c cilantro, chopped
    salt

Start by heating the oil to medium high, then add onions and sweat them (do not caramelise). Once they have become translucent, add garbanzos and the water and bring to a boil.
    Reduce to a simmer. Once the water has ceased boiling, add all other ingredients and stir to mix. Simmer for 2 to 3 hours, or until garbanzos are tender to touch, whichever is longer.

For hasa al hummus, which is a soup, you may want to add more water, up to 4 cups, but personally I like having it as a "dip" with some homemade kesra, a type of Moroccan semolina bread.
  • raegray2008
    Options
    This sounds delish! I'm gonna have to try this! I've been wanting to find a homemade hummus recipe. i love it with red/orange bell pepper strips!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
  • Timalein
    Timalein Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Double Batch of Hummus
    4 Cups Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans
    3 cloves Medium Sized Garlic
    1 tsp Sea Salt
    3 Tablespoons Tahini
    2 Medium Juicy Lemons
    1 Tablespoon Olive Oil (drizzle over the hummus when placed into serving bowl)

Put the garlic cloves into the mortar and pestle first and mash along with salt to keep the cloves from jumping out of the mortar, and then add lemon juice, stir and pour into food processor. Rinse and drain 2 cans of garbanzo/chickpeas, add to food processor and puree for about 2 minutes or until very smooth. I add a bit of water (or you could add some of the juice from one of the cans of chickpeas) if I find the machine must work too hard. I prefer my hummus thick as that is how I grew up eating it. If too runny or too much garlic I find I am disappointed. In regards to the lemon I add the lemon to taste, so even though I put 2 lemons down in the recipe the amount is really at your discretion and how juicy the lemons are to begin with.

I don’t add extra ingredients as I prefer traditional Arabic Hummus and not roasted bell pepper flavor, etc. I also prefer the chickpeas from my local Middle Eastern grocery store as those beans are larger and more flavorful however in a pinch I use what I can find. I find that the American brands tend to have smaller chickpeas. I also purchase my Tahini from the Middle Easter market – I have tried various American brands both organic and non-organic and I find that the American brands taste is a smidge off from the Middle Eastern brands. In Colorado I shop at Arash for my Middle Eastern ingredients as they are inexpensive, clean and carry quality products.

I like to have my hummus with some other dishes at the same time like a bowl of Fava Beans, Zatar, Lebni (this is easy to make yourself), and Baba Ganoush (also easy to make) with some fresh Arabic Bread. As for bread I prefer the flat Lavash type bread with some sesame seeds but each to his own.

I am half Saudi & German so for the little hadji Baba in me I say (bil-hanā' wa ash-shifā') بالهناء والشفاء / بالهنا والشفا
    may you have your meal with gladness and health and for the German in me I say Guten Appetit!
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Iv never tried Hummus im really guna have to!
  • Vienna4444
    Options
    Being vegan I literally put humus on everything! Its a great substitute for cheese or dairy spreads. As a spread if you mix it with some fresh chopped salsa it tastes great on crackers or pittas or just about anything that strikes your fancy.