Moved and having a hard time with food :(

Options
Hello! I just came out to Paris from the US for the next six months. I started the reset 4 weeks ago exactly and I was planning on going for six weeks at least. I've been sure to hit at least my TDEE calorie requirement (sometimes going over!) every day for the past four weeks. The past few days have been really confusing for me, however, because of the trip over here and jet lag and getting adjusted. All they eat here is bread! So my food diary (which is open) has been all over the place as far as sodium, carbs, and calories. For the past two days I've eaten well under my BMR, not intentionally, of course, but just because of unfortunate circumstances and the endless walking (sometimes up to four or five hours a day). Needless to say, I'm very worried about how this will affect my reset.

Does anyone happen to know how my body is going to respond to my eating under TDEE and especially under BMR, or have any tips on hitting my macros every day? I'm particularly worried about protein. I stay in a small apartment and my French is limited at best, so markets and such are difficult. Tonight I had planned on going out to buy chicken, eggs, and peanut butter if I can find it, but I fell asleep until well after the markets were closed and ended up eating only 1195 calories, not to mention the three hours of walking I did earlier.

Replies

• rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I just moved from the US to Australia, so I feel you on the changes and getting adjusted. It's much harder for you, as you don't speak French. Is there someone who can help you over there? Maybe connect with Expats International and at least get your kitchen stocked up so you have some options.

I think with all that walking you need some fuel, a day or two or low nets can happen to anyone........however, I'd say make a plan to make certain your body is getting the nourishment it needs (especially for those long walks). This is when protein bars can come in handy.

I can't speak to the TDEE, I'll let one of the experts speak to this.

Enjoy Paris! What a wonderful experience for you!
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I just got back to the U.S. after spending 4 months in Madrid, Spain. The European lifestyle is totally conducive to living healthfully. Walking everywhere will allow you to keep up your activity level (and Monmartre has hills!).

The best advice I can give you-- especially when keeping your calories on the higher side is to eat full-fat stuff. Shouldn't be hard to find in France. Milk, eggs, butter, etc. as well as veggies and fruit are fantastic. It's much easier (and cheaper) to eat whole foods in Europe. As far as commercial foods are concerned, try locating the nearest Monoprix in your neighborhood. They're usually open pretty late and you'll have better luck finding things like peanut butter (if it's there, there will only be one brand).

I hope this helps some! I was easily at my healthiest while I was living in Spain-- I have no doubt that you'll adjust quickly to your Parisian lifestyle and miss it when you return home!
  • hablagabrielle
    Options
    Thank you both so much for your replies! It makes me feel a lot better just knowing that I'm not the only one trying to keep up while abroad. I'll try and fill my kitchen up as soon as I can, making my own food should at least allow me to stay in control of what I'm eating. And spaingirl2011, thank you for the advice on full fat foods! I hope I can find some peanut butter here :)
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I was definitely healthier when I lived in Paris. Walked everywhere and had a Dutchie bike to go to the shops on. And it's much easier to find good fresh food. The main supermarkets in France are Leclerc and Carrefour, as well as the aforementioned Monoprix, so you could look up on the internet and see where the nearest ones are.

Enjoy, I'm totally jealous!