Heavy lifting and initial water weight

Options
spaingirl2011
spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
Hi all,

So, I started my TDEE reset back in June and did the full 8 weeks. During those weeks, I moved from Spain back to the United States (gained about 6 pounds) and so my exercising was sporadic.

I finally am hitting my cut and have started heavy lifting. I've noticed that I'm bloated and holding onto water like crazy. I'm not freaking out about it, but I'm curious how long people dealt with weight-lifting water weight before they started to shed it?

Thanks for all of your help!

~Allison

Replies

• holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    At the beginning, I held onto maybe 3lbs of water weight, but now that my body is used to it I only go up 1lb the day after. Comes right off so I don't worry. I drink probably 120oz of water on days that I lift in order to counteract it though. I pee a lot.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I had to stop working out for about 3 weeks so when I resumed I gained about 3 - 4 pounds of water weight due to sore muscles. It toom me about a week to lose it. And now just like holleysings, I fluctuate around a pound or so.
  • spaingirl2011
    Options
    Thanks, ladies! I'm sure it'll come off ... I was just curious how long it would take before I needed to rethink strategies and such!

Thanks again!
  • LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I puff up straight away after a heavy lifting session. I feel like I go from somewhat toned to puffy and chunky in about 40 minutes... it's not pretty LOL. I've been at this for weeks but it hasn't changed, so I just deal with it. If I've got somewhere important to go, I won't schedule a lifting session within the 8 hours before it.

However when I wake up the next morning, I am smaller again. I feel like the puffier I am the night before, the smaller I look in the morning. It's a bit ridiculous, but I guess it's all part of the process. I drink heaps of water too just to help with it all. Does anyone else go through this too? I've heard lots of people talk about water-weight fluctuations over a few days, but not many people from day to day like me.

I'm looking forward to a rest week soon, so I can really see my progress. I've heard that if you're lifting regularly, you'll always be carrying a little more water to heal those muscles, and a rest week is good for getting rid of this.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Totally normal for water retention after heavy lifting...it will pass, pun intended :laugh:
  • spaingirl2011
    Options
    Thanks! Glad to know I won't always feel this puffy!
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I puff up straight away after a heavy lifting session. I feel like I go from somewhat toned to puffy and chunky in about 40 minutes... it's not pretty LOL. I've been at this for weeks but it hasn't changed, so I just deal with it. If I've got somewhere important to go, I won't schedule a lifting session within the 8 hours before it.

However when I wake up the next morning, I am smaller again. I feel like the puffier I am the night before, the smaller I look in the morning. It's a bit ridiculous, but I guess it's all part of the process. I drink heaps of water too just to help with it all. Does anyone else go through this too? I've heard lots of people talk about water-weight fluctuations over a few days, but not many people from day to day like me.

I'm looking forward to a rest week soon, so I can really see my progress. I've heard that if you're lifting regularly, you'll always be carrying a little more water to heal those muscles, and a rest week is good for getting rid of this.

I did P90X and it was during the rest week where I saw the most improvement in both the scale and tape. After 3 weeks of hardcore workouts the rest week was welcomed!
  • LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I did P90X and it was during the rest week where I saw the most improvement in both the scale and tape. After 3 weeks of hardcore workouts the rest week was welcomed!

Yay!! I'm going on holiday in just under 3 weeks, so I'm going to persevere until then and really earn my rest :D

Thanks for sharing!
  • rr85114
    rr85114 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I definitely carry extra water after I lift. It'll creep on a few hours after I've lifted and will hang around for the next day or two - at which point it's time to lift again, so yes, I agree with the others in this thread that you just need to keep it in mind, and take a good chunk of recovery time every now and then to really see changes :)

Good luck!
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I don't shed all the water weight until I take a rest week every 4-6 weeks.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I notice the water come off the most during a rest week in between my stages.. usualy during I have water retention no matter what I do