Shirataki noodle???

Options
Stripple
Stripple Posts: 62 Member
Says they are net carb & calorie free, all fibre!! Are they worth a try??

Replies

• cartrat
    cartrat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    love them :)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    There are two types:
    Tofu and Konjac Yams

Remember though: even if one serving has no carbs, you will eventually find carbs as you increase the serving size. Same thing goes with any other 0 on the labeling for one serving. You will eventually find a measurement of something as you add more servings...

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Shirataki_noodles
    http://www.ask.com/wiki/Glucomannan?qsrc=3044
  • Stripple
    Stripple Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Brill thanks, will give them a try
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I've only ever tried the Konnyaku yam noodles, but yes definitely worth a try.

I use them in asian dishes- stri fries, broths etc... they make a great Pho.
  • cramernh
    Options
    I've only ever tried the Konnyaku yam noodles, but yes definitely worth a try.

I use them in asian dishes- stri fries, broths etc... they make a great Pho.

I prefer the Konjac to the asian dishes simply for the flavor and texture. There is a cantonese pork dish with fermented cabbage that normally calls for mung bean noodles - so they are replaced with the konjac noodles... same texture. It doesnt even make me think its different...

The tofu-style shirataki I do tend to enjoy more. I grab the fettuccini cut and make Chicken Broccoli Alfredo and OHHHHHHHHHHH they come out so awesome! I also like to put the noodles in a homemade garden-style vegetable soup like the one I made last night. (****three gallons worth...hehehehe)
  • xMillyLouisex
    xMillyLouisex Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    ive just got some delievered today, do i store them in the fridge?
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    I'm yet to try tofu shiritaki or any of them in different 'pasta' shapes/ thicknesses. It is another thing the UK are behind on :o(

I might splurge and buy some online to see if I can make a 'pasta' dish. I definitely wouldnt use the konjac noodles I get in place of pasta though- as they are like rice vermicelli and it just wouldnt work flavour/texture wise.
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    ive just got some delievered today, do i store them in the fridge?

Yeah, I keep mine in the fridge. The ones I buy from the oriental supermarket are kept in the fridge.
  • cartrat
    Options
    i used kelp noodles the other night in a homemade ramen dish. they're just like glass noodles and i believe add better texture than shirataki. in fact, i want to use them for a pad thai recipe (not asian but i LOOOOOOVE the food :love:). i think they're only about 4 carbs for one package but it goes a long way. we had leftovers.
  • Clownfish423
    Clownfish423 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've been meaning to try the kelp. The texture of the Shirataki noodles just bugged me! I can't even explain it....
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    haha I'm eating some right now! They really are a miracle.

Thanks to shiritake I can make chicken/seafood pasta, casseroles, thai noodle salad, curries, pasta alfredo, etc completely carb free (and therefore guilt free) or super low carb and low cal and so filling! Theres so much to do with them I never get bored.

YUMMY :)
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    There are two types:
    Tofu and Konjac Yams

Remember though: even if one serving has no carbs, you will eventually find carbs as you increase the serving size. Same thing goes with any other 0 on the labeling for one serving. You will eventually find a measurement of something as you add more servings...

Bless you. I keep trying to explain this to people and I don't think I can explain it well. I have a trainer friend who is going to write a blog post about it after she does some research, she's always asking for blog ideas and I was happy to come up with one!

I bought the Shirataki noodles one time but made the mistake of smelling them and then couldn't bring myself to eat them.
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Lol, the smell is pretty bad. I do find that if you rinse them REALLY well, it usually takes some of the stink out. Also, the longer you can leave them sitting in the sauce of your choice, the better. It absorbs the flavor so well, but it needs time. I generally use them for soups and salad fillers. They work really well for skillet lasagna too.
    If you can find them (usually in Asian markets), there is also a tofu "noodle." It is just dried out tofu cut into thin strips. I usually get generic, so I can't remember the brand. I'll have to stop by the market one of these days to confirm it. THOSE don't absorb any flavor at all, but they are very tender when heated, and work well as a lo mein substitute. Also, if you are baking a "noodle" dish, they don't turn to mush.
  • cartrat
    Options
    my problem with shirataki noodles is that they retain so much water: even if i blot them after their cooked with a paper towel, once i add them into the dish, it gets all watery :/ anyone know a secret around them or should i blot them more?
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Check out this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/536767-let-s-talk-about-shirataki-noodles

Great ideas on how to cook them...
  • cartrat
    Options
    ^^thank you!
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    My Asian store was sold out, but the brand was Visoy Food INC. They have alot of different tofu products. If you can find them, the dried tofu strips, again, work as an excellent substitue noodle. :) Hope that helps.
  • cramernh
    Options
    There are two types:
    Tofu and Konjac Yams

Bless you. I keep trying to explain this to people and I don't think I can explain it well. I have a trainer friend who is going to write a blog post about it after she does some research, she's always asking for blog ideas and I was happy to come up with one!

I bought the Shirataki noodles one time but made the mistake of smelling them and then couldn't bring myself to eat them.

The colder the water the better rinsing it does. I also find rubbing fresh lemon on my hands first, and then working with the noodle under water, helps to counteract the brine-hell that the authentic shirataki tend to have.

I love how once they are rinsed, you can plop it in a plate and then throw whatever you want on it immediately. Matter of fact, I have a homemade marinara and fresh batch of meatballs planned to go on top of mine tonight. And - freshly shaved parmesan.. ohhhhhhhhhhh yeah!
  • ilikepandasyay
    ilikepandasyay Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried the noodles yet, but had the rice. the texture is like a mix between rice and a tapioca bubble. there's not much taste, but I douse my rice in soy sauce anyway, so it came out about even taste wise. All I know is that people are like "OMG THEY FILL ME UP SO MUCH!" and I think that if the flavor didn't bore me/the texture was slightly better, I could have eaten like 3 lbs of it and still not been full.