TOP TIPS!

Options
LaurDavies
LaurDavies Posts: 77 Member
Hi all,

After a few private messages, and noticing there are a few newcomers to MFP, I was wondering if we could all share our top healthy eating and lifestyle tips as a sort of accompaniment to 30DS.

What healthy eating plans work best for you? How do you fit exercise into your daily routine? Do you do anything special that really helps you keep up the enthusiasm? etc etc

Basically anything that you find useful and that others might find helpful.

For me, having my meals at regular strict intervals really helps me manage my energy levels, and keeps me from bingeing or snacking on anything I shouldn't. I do allow myself occasional treats, but I'm sure to plan them into my food diary.
So I tend to eat breakfast, a small snack at 11am, lunch, a small snack at 3pm, and my evening meal around 6pm. I also make sure I drink LOTS - as this keeps me hydrated and I feel fuller.

This means I'm always hungry at the same times of day, and after I've had my meal/snack I feel satisfied so I don't want to reach for the crisps/chocolate!

(I also find if I plan most my food for the day while I'm having breakfast, and put it in my food diary in advance, then I'm less likely to stray for it - as there's nothing worse than the guilt of deleting your healthy planned meal to replace it with something you shouldn't have eaten and didn't really enjoy!)

Replies

• jniece55
    jniece55 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have started making a calendar and put all my workouts I plan to do on it up until December. This way I don't have to think about it and if I end up doing an extra exercise I feel really good about it.
  • Cathcandoo
    Cathcandoo Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions so far! Thanks :)

I will never forget something Dr. Phil said one time on a weight loss segment he was doing. He said, "Any plan...no matter how good it is WILL FAIL if you do not prepare for your hunger!" So true! And it has stuck with me

I would have to say that the two things that have helped me this time so far is Preparing ahead - having lots of healthy, enjoyable foods at my disposal so I don't feel like I am starving or bored with what I am eating...no one wants to feel deprived.

And the other thing - as far as exercise goes....I really try to get it in early in the day. The sooner I get a good chunk done - even if it is just a 20 min brisk walk - it motivates me to stay focused on eating healthy throughout the day and then I always end up doing more exercise later. It has already made an impact on the family, as well - we are all eating healthier and taking more family walks - win/win :)
  • JustineSane
    JustineSane Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have started making a calendar and put all my workouts I plan to do on it up until December. This way I don't have to think about it and if I end up doing an extra exercise I feel really good about it.

I made a calendar yesterday of exactly when I am doing the 30DS each day! I play roller derby, so I am doing 30DS on days when I do not have practice or a game, so it will take longer than 30 days, but I will do it 30 times over the next month and a bit.
  • jtrousehouse
    Options
    I have had a work-out journal all year and really keeps me accountable for keeping up with an active life!! Who wants to see "day off" on more than 2 days in a row? I love looking back at how many hours I've worked out this year, miles hiked, miles I've ridden my bike etc!! It also helps me to see how much I grow when I'm consistent with my weight lifting too! Which is what I usually blow off for cardio and shouldn't!!

28384959.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • vicyvix
    vicyvix Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Exercise in the morning. I always find that if i wake up that bit earlier, not only do i feel like i've done more with my day but you'll also burn more calories by getting your metabolism going before you eat.

Add some strength training and not just cardio. More muscle means you burn more calories.

Don't eat back all your exercise calories if you're using the MFP approximations.

Once in a while, treat yourself. :D Have that bar of chocolate!
  • jennifermaffei17
    Options
    I have found that adopting a "clean" diet and drinking at least 8 glasses of water per day will give you maximum shred results!
    I have very little carbs that are pasta, bread, etc. I eat more fresh fruits and veggies and even try new items like hummus. I mean, unless you become a dieter, who eats that? I found it to be really good though...mmm.

Veggie sticks and hummus make a great chip/dip action substitute.
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    This tip is specific to 30DS and may seem obvious but it wasn't obvious to me. Don't do it barefoot! Wear athletic shoes like they do in the video. I did the first 3 days barefoot with no problems but then on the fourth day my "index" toe was tingling on the jumps, followed by sharp pain. I quickly put on my shoes haha.
  • beanrider
    beanrider Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Also for the hummus comment.........I have found it makes a great substitute for mayo on a sandwich. I like the red pepper hummus on a turkey sandwich, really spices up a boring old turkey sammie!