Thoughts on games you've recently played

Options
13»

Replies

• Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I really like horror games!

Amnesia: The Dark Descent- Man am I ever fond of this game. It's a first-person horror game where you walk around a castle looking for clues and such. (Dont want to give away any of the plot and such.) It's the scariest game I have played up to date, and there is also a sequel in the making right this moment! A lot of the game is also about immersion too, the atmosphere is absolutely nail-biting.

Ib- This is also a horror-esque game made by someone in RPG Maker. It's short and sweet, but it's absolutely amazing! You play as a young girl named Ib (pronounced Eeb, sort of like Eve) who gets sucked into this crazy art gallery. It's absolutely wonderful, and the atmosphere is eerie and really powerful! It's also free for download so I'd really recommend you to try it. The graphics are awful in a charming sort of retro way, to be honest they didn't bug me at all.

You should try Deadspace.

DS2_E32010_02-us_656x369.jpg?cb=1334003706

Or the Slenderman game (which is freeware)
  • yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Max Payne 3 - Just got to the end of the 2nd act. The story is starting to get a bit on the stupid side after a solid 4hours... come on keep it together game writers! The game is fun & is visually stunning on PC but it's getting a bit repetitive, but it's incredibly cathartic and I do like the surroundings it places you in which there is a fair amount of variety & the voice acting is as usual very strong from Rockstar. 8/10

Also having played a little more Symphony and killing **** loads of time with it + getting good at it has made me like a lot more. Upgrade the score as a 7 or 8 out of 10. For the price it's a nice time killer
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Currently playing Heavy Rain. It's starting to get really interesting, as I'm getting to what i think is the climax of the story. I think I like Indego Prophecy better, though. I haven't quite decided yet.

My husband was playing Heavy Rain with his brother (I don't know how they play single player games together, but they do), and something happened to make the system delete their game save. He thinks they must not have seen the save icon when they turned off the system. They were over halfway through it. I don't think I've ever seen two men more broken.

...that's just awful. I've played that wonderful game, but let me tell you. It's stinkin long! And they will have to start all over and either remake all of the decisions they did before or just screw it. The game is amazing, but that's just awful that something happened to their save. Interesting enough, if they were halfway through it should have auto-saved after every chapter. But it must have been a glitch or a power turn off. How awful :( My sympathies go out to them.

Yeah, they haven't restarted it yet. The pain is still too fresh. Now it's like a cancer in our game collection, just sitting there taunting us. I'm almost tempted to start it myself so my husband can kind of help me through it, instead of him having to start from the beginning and do it all over again. Plus, I play differently (he's always a goody-goody and I typically choose the badass interactions), so it won't be the same as when he played through it.
  • yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Options

Amnesia: The Dark Descent- Man am I ever fond of this game. It's a first-person horror game where you walk around a castle looking for clues and such. (Dont want to give away any of the plot and such.) It's the scariest game I have played up to date, and there is also a sequel in the making right this moment! A lot of the game is also about immersion too, the atmosphere is absolutely nail-biting.

Ib- This is also a horror-esque game made by someone in RPG Maker. It's short and sweet, but it's absolutely amazing! You play as a young girl named Ib (pronounced Eeb, sort of like Eve) who gets sucked into this crazy art gallery. It's absolutely wonderful, and the atmosphere is eerie and really powerful! It's also free for download so I'd really recommend you to try it. The graphics are awful in a charming sort of retro way, to be honest they didn't bug me at all.

Just gone on sale (Steam) for £2.49 (not sure how much in dollars but I imagine around $3)
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Also, my boyfriend and I played marvel ultimate alliance, I'm a total superhero nerd, so I like it a lot. The gameplay is different, I am used to there being a split screen for multiple players.
    I freakin' loved that game! I swear my buddy and I probably played through the whole game at least 5 times, just trying to unlock all the costumes for each character.

In other news, I just moved my N64 up from my mom's house, and I'm currently shooting to get 100% on LoZ: Majora's Mask for the third time. Hands down my favorite game of all time! I might even give the three-day challenge a go once I finish all the side quests.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Guild Wars 2 betas and stress tests have now ruined me for all other games. Luckily it launches Friday between midnight and 3 am EST, because I'm going crazy waiting!

Okay, crazier.

Edit: Technically, Saturday, but who cares?
  • silico
    silico Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    O.M.G I just found out I can turn my Android into a Gameboy and play Pokemon. Nostalgia attack!!!
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    O.M.G I just found out I can turn my Android into a Gameboy and play Pokemon. Nostalgia attack!!!

HOW?! :love: :love:
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Here's what I've played through in the last month and a half or so, working backwards:

Sound Shapes (Vita) - I just finished the campaign levels today. There's more to do, which is good since I didn't even earn a trophy until finishing the campaign. And there are lots of user-made levels available to play, some of which I tried did not suck.

Batman Arkham City (PS3) - Seemed shorter than Arkham Asylum did, but maybe that's just me. It also felt more focused and linear, despite being more open in nature. I liked it a lot.

Dragon's Dogma (PS3) - I couldn't decide if I liked it or hated it for the first 10 hours or so, but after that, I was able to overlook the annoying parts and found it was quite good and epic at times, when it comes to the combat. The story blew and I found it had a lot of superfluous items and mechanics. I clocked in about 50 hours and missed some side quests and misc tasks.

Foosball 2012 (PS3) - I didn't finish it really, but I wanted to mention that it's great! If you like foosball, this is as close as you're going to get in video game form. I use the PS Move controllers, and it's excellent.

The Darkness II (PS3) - I liked playing this game, but it didn't need to be made. I know the comic series existed prior to the first game, but I don't read comics. I like to think of the first game as a masterpiece on its own. It gave me similar feelings to when I watched Donnie Darko the first time - both are like dark romances, or something. I dunno, they get me in a mood. This sequel wasn't even close to that. But still fun.

The Walking Dead Episodes 1 & 2 (PS3) - Both great episodes, kinda Indigo Prophecy/Heavy Rain-esque in the design. Very good, tough choices to make at times. Can't wait for the next episode.

Right now I'm *sorta* playing Aliens vs Predator (PS3) but I don't know if I'm going to stick with it and get it done before Borderlands 2 (PS3) comes out. I need to plow through that before Dishonored (PS3) and then Far Cry 3 (PS3)... Not to mention all of the games on my backlog, and games I haven't even bought yet (Darksiders II, White Knight Chronicles II, Dragon Age II, I'm looking at you).
  • Dedatress
    Options
    lol Hey guys! I have played SLENDER before. I'm quite impressed seeing as it was just a student-made project to start out with. And man, I've heard wonderful things about Deadspace, I'll have to look into it!

Or the Slenderman game (which is freeware)
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    And sadly, even though Kingdoms of Amalur was so successful, the company still went bankrupt : http://danieljohnston.hubpages.com/hub/38-Studios-and-Kingdoms-of-Amalur-Dead

Boooooo. :sad: I didn't know about that.

There stands a very good chance though that Rhode Island will auction off the intellectual property for the game. So the franchise could live on. Just how and by who is a total crapshoot.
  • annrum
    annrum Posts: 144
    Options
    Dungeons of Dredmor! http://www.dungeonsofdredmor.com/ It's a lovely, rogue-like with cartoony graphics & a decent sense of humour & an indepth crafting system. I picked it up on steam fairly cheap & wasn't sure about it, thinking it would do for the occasional 10 minute dungeon crawl... I've put 60 odd hours into it so far.. :laugh:

If you liked/can remember rogue, this is definitely worth it. Loads of different skill trees, crafting, & you drink booze to replenish your mana, what's not to like? :bigsmile:
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

That was a damn creepy game, IMO! Pretty good though.
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    Options
    Playing Torchlight 2. I've put my thoughts in another post.

Aside from that. I'm also playing Guild Wars 2. That is a really incredibly well put together MMO. I've played all the major MMO's and this surpasses them all in graphics, gameplay and just fun. I never feel like I am grinding, I just feel like I'm exploring. Even when i'm playing Torchlight 2 (brand new), I'm thinking "Guild Wars does that better or Guild Wars would have done...". It just seems like they have taken all the best bits of MMOs and included them while also taking all the worst bits and figuring out ways around them.

Its just really well thought out.
  • Middangeard
    Middangeard Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Got LittleBigPlanet Vita last week, so that's what I've been playing. Finally, a great mobile translation of the game! LittleBigPlanet PSP is ok, but I could never quite get into that one quite as much. Loving the fact that it's included in the content sharing of all the console LittleBigPlanet games!
  • shmapril
    Options
    BORDERLANDS 2..........LOVE IT!!!!!! THERES JUST SOMETHING MAGICAL ABOUT SETTING YOUR CROSSHAIRS ON A BADASS BULLYMONG AND GETTING A CRITICAL SHOT.