Week 4 - 8/20-8/26

Options

Replies

• motherbetty
    motherbetty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. I'm impressed! You are all doing a great job! I'm going to repeat week 3 because I am still struggling through and feel it best to repeat at this point.

Keep on all!
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    This morning I did week 4 day 2. I felt great at first, but I had to walk at around 4:15 of the last running section because I was not feeling well, which really frustrated me. I am hoping I will be able to move on to week 5 next week, but we will see. Sounds like everyone is doing great overall!
  • Kamnikar64
    Kamnikar64 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Completed W4D1 yesterday. I was so proud to get through the first 5min run, but just ran out of steam at the last 5 min run and ended up walking some of it. Looking forward to trying again tomorrow. I feel like the little engine that could (I think I can, I think I can...)

When I got to the walking portion immediately following the first 5 min run, I past an older lady on the track who said something that sounded like concern. I assured her I was okay (I can only imagine what I looked like!) and was just catching my breath. She suggested chewing gum. Is this a thing? Does anyone else chew gum while running to keep your breathing steady? I'd be worried about choking. Just curious...

Chewing gum is an interesting question. Four years ago when I tried to get my health headed in the right direction I used to go to Anytime Fitness. There was a lady that was always on the treadmill running and she chewed gum like crazy. She actually had her iPod and full package of gum on the treadmill ready to go. I always wondered about that as well. I'd be interested in finding out if that does make it better?
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    Hey guys, I am repeating W3 this week after struggling last week. For all those repeaters or those just getting to week 3, I have started a new topic within this group. Hope that's okay. Really looking forward to trying the 5 minute runs when I hit Week 4.
  • stepher80
    stepher80 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just completed week 5 day 3 today and it about killed me! It was the first 20 minute run without a break to walk and instead of doing it on the treadmill like I normally do, I ran around my neighborhood. OMG...it's SO MUCH HARDER than running on a treadmill!! I have got to start running on real ground if I'm going to make it through this 5K I'm supposed to run next month! I read several people saying how much harder it is to run on the streets instead of the treadmill but I didn't realize just how hard that was. I feel like I've done all this training and I had nothing to show for it tonight. It's the first day I've cheated and walked when I was supposed to run. I just couldn't do it. I'm bummed...
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Just completed Week 5 Day 2. My chest was burning during the first run but it improved for the other runs. I am a little concerned about the next session because it calls for 20 minutes of straight running...that's quite an increase from tonight's session. Oh well, if I end up walking any part of it then I will just have to repeat that session until I can run all the way through.

I hope everyone is enjoying it!

Cheers, Carole
  • carolemack
    Options
    I just completed week 5 day 3 today and it about killed me! It was the first 20 minute run without a break to walk and instead of doing it on the treadmill like I normally do, I ran around my neighborhood. OMG...it's SO MUCH HARDER than running on a treadmill!! I have got to start running on real ground if I'm going to make it through this 5K I'm supposed to run next month! I read several people saying how much harder it is to run on the streets instead of the treadmill but I didn't realize just how hard that was. I feel like I've done all this training and I had nothing to show for it tonight. It's the first day I've cheated and walked when I was supposed to run. I just couldn't do it. I'm bummed...

You didn't CHEAT, you LISTENED to your body...there is a real difference. There is no use in trying to force your body to do what it is not ready to do...you just risk injury.

All you need to do is just keep repeating this session until you can do the 20 minutes, then you can move on. I had also read that it was much harder running outside than on a treadmill. I was afraid to run on my treadmill so it was easier for me just to start off outside. :laugh:

Don't be bummed out...you will do it, if not the next time...the time after that. You CAN do it! :flowerforyou:

Cheers, Carole
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options

Don't be bummed out :) It's very different inside than the treadmill! Instead of going on to week 6, try day 3 again - or maybe even do W5 over again but completely outside. I imagine it would be really rough to do everything on the treadmill and then do the first single interval run outside! Don't be hard on yourself - you WILL get it =)
  • stepher80
    stepher80 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks Carolemack and hbarstein! I needed some encouragement. It's probably a good idea to do that 20 minute run a few more times outside or do week 5 completely over again, but outside or even on the track inside my gym. The reason I use my gym a lot is because I can leave my girls in their kids club but if I run in my neighborhood I have to wait until my husband is home from work (which I did today and it was pretty cool outside so I guess that would work). Either way, I gotta be able to run a 5k on September 13th!!!
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    Thanks Carolemack and hbarstein! I needed some encouragement. It's probably a good idea to do that 20 minute run a few more times outside or do week 5 completely over again, but outside or even on the track inside my gym. The reason I use my gym a lot is because I can leave my girls in their kids club but if I run in my neighborhood I have to wait until my husband is home from work (which I did today and it was pretty cool outside so I guess that would work). Either way, I gotta be able to run a 5k on September 13th!!!

And you will :) I can totally understand the childcare issue, I have a 3 1/2 year old - my husband and I have to juggle our runs because of it, so I've been getting up and doing mine at 5am. -is not a morning person-

Oh! Rather than double post, I'll edit here. Did my W4 D2 run today and shaved 90 seconds off, had a 12:40 min/mile. Actually pushed it up and after my 3 5 3 5 intervals I did another 3 so actually did 19 minutes today...W5 D3, I'm coming for you - you've been warned! :glasses:
  • ingalynn
    ingalynn Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    did the whole 5k in 36 min on wednesday. yesterday, I ate enormous amounts of food. Today it took me 42 minutes to do the 5k. Felt very sluggish and didn't want to run, but did it anyway. So I count it as a win.
  • cmecme
    cmecme Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Look how far you've come - 5 weeks ago would you have run outside at all??

You dont have to run the entire 5k either - if you get out there, do it and finish - that's all that matters!!!!

I'm finally on week 8 and I started back in May (had to repeat a few weeks a few times:bigsmile:) -- Kinda funny that the 90 second runs would kill me and now I'm running for 25 minutes straight and its fun. The time goes by fast. I just rock out to music : )

Good luck --- dont give up - i think it took me about 3 tries to get through the 20 minute run - then, once i got there - no looking back
  • Kamnikar64
    Kamnikar64 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Completed W4D1 yesterday. I was so proud to get through the first 5min run, but just ran out of steam at the last 5 min run and ended up walking some of it. Looking forward to trying again tomorrow. I feel like the little engine that could (I think I can, I think I can...)

When I got to the walking portion immediately following the first 5 min run, I past an older lady on the track who said something that sounded like concern. I assured her I was okay (I can only imagine what I looked like!) and was just catching my breath. She suggested chewing gum. Is this a thing? Does anyone else chew gum while running to keep your breathing steady? I'd be worried about choking. Just curious...
    I asked a guy in my office who runs and he always chews gum, usually a half a piece, when he runs. He says it keeps his mouth from getting dry and he also runs more with his mouth closed which forces him to breathe through his nose and work harder. I think I'll try that.
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options

Definitely don't feel bad about it. Running outside is a lot different than running on the treadmill. Running in the gym while your kids have childcare is totally understandable. I do most of my running outside right now, but only because I do it before my son and husband wake up. I will be doing a lot more treadmill running this fall because of the weather. I would suggest trying to do maybe one workout a week outside just so you get used to the difference. You are doing great!!!
  • Overboard_Eater
    Overboard_Eater Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Woohooo! Just completed W4D1. I was nervous since my knee has been swollen and tight since I overdid it 2 days ago on W3D3. Today I kept my pace nice and slow, tried to take short strides because I read that is lower impact and I stopped when she said to (listen to the British Podcast C25K). So far my knee feels good and I am so proud of myself :)
  • mdelappe
    mdelappe Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yay Overboard! Way to go!
  • arenkel
    arenkel Posts: 77
    Options
    Did W4D3 today, and decided to explore a nearby park. Well, long story short, I got a bit lost and ended up going an extra 20 minutes (mostly walking). Whoops. Oh well. At least I know I can do 3 miles!
  • funylady
    funylady Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Finished week 4 yesterday and am planning to repeat it. I made it through all of the runs without stopping, great, but I had to push myself through each one. I hope to be able to work myself up to being able to get through it without hoping that it will be over and then it will be time to move on to week 5.
    I have to admit that I did look forward and am absolutely terrified of running for 8 straight minutes when I can barely get through 5. It sounds like most people feel pretty good and will be moving forward so those week 3 repeaters will catch up with me this week. Great job everyone!!!
  • carolemack
    Options
    Week 5 Day 3 completed. The dreaded 20 minute run...well, I did it but I was slow! What I found was that about half way through I seemed to hit a nice steady stride and it was much easier than I thought it was going to be. It seems to be better to just keep running rather than stopping to walk for awhile and then have to gear up for another run.

Now I have to decide whether to repeat week 5 Day 3 over again until I can increase my speed, or just continue with the program the way it is meant to be. Perhaps building stamina first and then working on the speed is better. Thoughts, anyone...

Cheers, Carole
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    Congrats on Week 5 day 3 - that's a big one!!!

Got my week 4 day 3 done today, got back to a 12minute mile which had me super happy. My husband of course ran week four day 1 with an 11:30 minute mile but he is a foot taller and way faster - I'm still super happy with my progress! Week 5 - here's looking at you :glasses: