Tips

Options
jniece55
jniece55 Posts: 181 Member
I've learned SO MUCH since starting this site I love it and all that it brings. Do you all have any tips that has worked out well for you?

Replies

• mayberry310
    mayberry310 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    #1 Whether it be eating or exercising it's mainly mental. Sometimes you just have to think it through and decide if it's really best for you.
    #2 I don't know about anybody else, but I am a terrible night time snacker. So when the urge hits and I know I don't "really" need to eat my sons goldfish crackers I'll have a glass of water and wait ten minutes. Normally the feeling subsides or I've been distracted by something else.
    #3 You know that old saying that you should dress for the job you want, not the job you have when going on an interview? Well, I've sort of adapted that to my healthy lifestyle. I eat for the body I want, not the one I have. I exercise for the body I want, not the body I have.

I'm sure there's more... But those are my current 3 tips to keep me going. :)
  • jniece55
    Options
    #1 Whether it be eating or exercising it's mainly mental. Sometimes you just have to think it through and decide if it's really best for you.
    #2 I don't know about anybody else, but I am a terrible night time snacker. So when the urge hits and I know I don't "really" need to eat my sons goldfish crackers I'll have a glass of water and wait ten minutes. Normally the feeling subsides or I've been distracted by something else.
    #3 You know that old saying that you should dress for the job you want, not the job you have when going on an interview? Well, I've sort of adapted that to my healthy lifestyle. I eat for the body I want, not the one I have. I exercise for the body I want, not the body I have.

I'm sure there's more... But those are my current 3 tips to keep me going. :)

I love these, great tips! I am a huge snacker as well. I still keep it in the daily calories but most of my calories go to snacks! Goldfish get me too :)

My tip would be is to drink bedtime tea. It helps me fall asleep and it fills me up b/c it is hot.
  • ziggyc
    ziggyc Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm a big coffee and black tea drinker. But for the past week or so I've been replacing them with green tea without sweeteners. I read that specific antioxidants in green tea help with weight loss so I've been trying to drink a cup after every meal. Every little bit helps right?

Here's something that explains it if anyone's interested.

http://www.nutraingredients.com/Research/Green-tea-catechins-linked-to-weight-loss-Study
  • gabesmom11211
    Options
    My current moto is "NOTHING tastes as good as being this feels "

I am struggling with motivation and finding time to work out, I work full time and have a infant. I cant hardly find a moment to myself except for rush hour trying to get home, only to start my second job lol

The best tiip I have on MFP so far is, try to log your entire meals and snacks for the whole day wither the night before or the morning of. This way everything is already counted in and you are aware of your numbers BEFORE you start snacking
  • veggiegirl115
    Options
    I am in love with Benefiber! It's tasteless and dissolves completely in pretty much anything! I have it with my afternoon coffee around 3 pm and not only is it an awesome laxative (sorry, tmi I know!), but it also keeps me full until dinner so I don't snack as much!
  • jniece55
    Options
    I am in love with Benefiber! It's tasteless and dissolves completely in pretty much anything! I have it with my afternoon coffee around 3 pm and not only is it an awesome laxative (sorry, tmi I know!), but it also keeps me full until dinner so I don't snack as much!

Does it give you gas? LOL
  • veggiegirl115
    Options

Not that I've experienced. It's really easy on the system and I don't even get stomach pains! Although I know of some people who do. I used to use fiber tablets but those were really rough on my intestines. Benefiber is a lot better.
  • jniece55
    Options

Not that I've experienced. It's really easy on the system and I don't even get stomach pains! Although I know of some people who do. I used to use fiber tablets but those were really rough on my intestines. Benefiber is a lot better.

I want to try this. I normally have a lot of fiber through vitamuffins, do you think by adding the benfiber as well it will cause any problems?
  • 91King
    91King Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of tips - following them myself is where I sometimes get stuck, but here they are:

1. Exercise first thing in the am. As the day wears on, you have more time to come up with excuses as to why you don't have time to work out. If you head out the door before you even think about it, you are more likely to get it done.

2. Brush and floss your teeth after dinner - makes evening snacking less appealing.

3. Pack healthy snacks for the mid-afternoon slump (12 whole almonds is my go-to) so you won't be tempted to buy something unhealthy - almonds are satiating so it helps stave off that hungry feeling.

• 91King
    Options
    Sorry - accidentally hit send:

4. Sprinkle chia seeds on your morning cereal - helps stave off hunger and they are full of protein.

5. Ground flax seed is also a great item to sprinkle on breakfast foods or put in smoothies - the fibre helps you feel fuller longer.

6. When you have a craving for something unhealthy, have a glass of water and wait 10 minutes - it will almost always pass. If it doesn't - give in to it and have a little.

7. If you fall off the wagon, hop right back on that very minute - one binge or treat doesn't mean you through the whole day away.

8. If you are baking cookies - chew gum. It will stop you from snacking on the cookie dough (this one is a must for me - I have two little boys and I like to bake them cookies and muffins).

9. Don't restrict yourself so much that you aren't getting pleasure from your food. No treats ever is not sustainable.
  • veggiegirl115
    Options

I want to try this. I normally have a lot of fiber through vitamuffins, do you think by adding the benfiber as well it will cause any problems?

As long as you stay under 35 grams of total fiber a day you should be fine. I think Benefiber has 6 grams per serving. So you'd have to look at the fiber content in vitamuffins to make sure you don't go overboard.
  • veggiegirl115
    Options

8. If you are baking cookies - chew gum. It will stop you from snacking on the cookie dough (this one is a must for me - I have two little boys and I like to bake them cookies and muffins).

Never thought about this before --- good idea!
  • jniece55
    Options
    Where do you get chia seeds?
  • ziggyc
    ziggyc Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    "7. If you fall off the wagon, hop right back on that very minute - one binge or treat doesn't mean you through the whole day away."

I'm working on this one. It's tough. I get way to hard on myself mentally which makes it easy for me to mess up my whole day. A work in progress...like everything else :-)
  • 91King
    Options
    I get them from our bulk foods store. I'm pretty sure you can get them from any health food store and some groceries even carry them now (ours does in its natural/health foods aisle). I was advised by a nutritionist at the Cleveland Clinic that they were a great add to cereal and smoothies and Tosca Reno recommends them as well (she wrote the Eat Clean Diet and contributes regularly to Eating Clean Magazine). They are pretty much tasteless, so you can add them to any food, but are full of fibre and protein.
  • 91King
    Options
    Where do you get chia seeds?
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Love the tips!!! I am stepping up my workouts starting tomorrow!!

Herb