Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

on belts and overhead press

2»

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    A belt doesnt really add weight in the way that wraps or a suit does. Some people speculate you can get a extra 5kgs out of a belt, but i think its more about form than weight. Im not sure why you would want it tighter to press than to squat though, plus its fiddly unscrewing your belt all the time, i personally dont belt up for pressing, but ive seen videos of Wendler wearing one to press

I get a good bit out of mine w/ squats, but it's because it helps me hold form.
    Anything over 275 or so, I start having trouble staying tight, and will be too bent over in the hole, unless I have a belt on. Then I can stay tight and handle a lot more.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Getting the hang of it, and it's breaking in a bit now. I had presses again yesterday and it didn't feel too loose this time (i haven't adjusted it either). I think it was a matter of me learning to engage my core properly during this lift. In other words, the belt is doing its job and helping me out.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Getting the hang of it, and it's breaking in a bit now. I had presses again yesterday and it didn't feel too loose this time (i haven't adjusted it either). I think it was a matter of me learning to engage my core properly during this lift. In other words, the belt is doing its job and helping me out.

just gotta learn to really push out and hold air in your stomach. it'll stay tight.

breaking belts in sucks.
  • roduk
    roduk Posts: 43 Member
    A wk old I know but this group is pretty quiet.
    I personally think its better to push out when doing overhead press, I have two lower discs that are knackered and this works by building pressure around the waist for extra support. I also squeeze my glutes in to support lower back.
    I too wear a belt due to the condition of my back, but use the inflating technique with or without belt.