hello. i'm a newbie/oldie.

Options
hello every one, i 'm a newbie. but i'm an oldie also, at 63 yrs. i'm really an oldie.LOL. i'm from Tn. and have very, very bad knees. to the point that i have already had to have the shots where they inject the rooster cone into the knees, i have arthritis and a muscle disease called Myositis, so that makes my pretty screwed-up in what i can do for exercise. but. i will once again start this weight lost journey and i have no extra time to be doing the on again off again thing. this time it is for REAL.my husband was laid off work almost a yr. ago and my workplace had already moved out of town so we both took early retirements,i'm on a cane and believe me, you cannot get a job if you walk in with a cane. ( i can do sewing but we have no sewing areas here, )my hubby will start his medicare in a few weeks but i still have almost 2 years before i will be old enough to get mine, so that means that right now i am uninsured, not a pretty place to be,so i really do need to get as healthy as i can. we live comfortable because we had our 401 and this enables me to still see my own doctor.i am open, and NEED all the tips, and hints that will help me stay on the right path. just wanted to say hi,i,m planning on being around for a while.

Replies

• californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    hello every one, i 'm a newbie. but i'm an oldie also, at 63 yrs. i'm really an oldie.LOL. i'm from Tn. and have very, very bad knees. to the point that i have already had to have the shots where they inject the rooster cone into the knees, i have arthritis and a muscle disease called Myositis, so that makes my pretty screwed-up in what i can do for exercise. but. i will once again start this weight lost journey and i have no extra time to be doing the on again off again thing. this time it is for REAL.my husband was laid off work almost a yr. ago and my workplace had already moved out of town so we both took early retirements,i'm on a cane and believe me, you cannot get a job if you walk in with a cane. ( i can do sewing but we have no sewing areas here, )my hubby will start his medicare in a few weeks but i still have almost 2 years before i will be old enough to get mine, so that means that right now i am uninsured, not a pretty place to be,so i really do need to get as healthy as i can. we live comfortable because we had our 401 and this enables me to still see my own doctor.i am open, and NEED all the tips, and hints that will help me stay on the right path. just wanted to say hi,i,m planning on being around for a while.

Hi, glad to see you here. I am so sorry for your health problems. I too have bad knees, one replaced already and now needing a hip. So I can understand where you are coming from. I am sorry about the jobs and you having no health ins. That is scary. I would love to have you as a pal and we can encourage each other. There are some great people on this site.
  • sweatpants1949
    Options
    californiagir , thanks, i sent you a friend request, knees and hips can really get you, can't they,the arthritis gene runs so bad in our family that my grandson, 23 already walks with a limp. but that's just what was handed to us. my grandmother was in a wheelchair when she was 18 from it. so we deal with it ok. but i just know that this site will work for me and I'll get rid of some lbs that is making my knees hurt so bad. today is my first day and i have already found out that there will not be many hardee's egg and bacon any more.LOL,i started my morning with one then went, found this site and WOW, yep. it sure did hurt the calories for the rest of the day, but, i'm sure that i will be shocked at other things i eat and then when you put it in it like a thunder bolt,.. i love to go to flea markets and thrift stores so i have been trying to do my walking there.but i need to push more often in the walking area.you know they say "no pain no gain" so i know the pain is there so i must be doing something right, i will be adding a picture later, if i can find a recent one.yours looks like your on a cruise, we just got back from a cruise on june 23 so i might find one of it i can post,
  • californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    californiagir , thanks, i sent you a friend request, knees and hips can really get you, can't they,the arthritis gene runs so bad in our family that my grandson, 23 already walks with a limp. but that's just what was handed to us. my grandmother was in a wheelchair when she was 18 from it. so we deal with it ok. but i just know that this site will work for me and I'll get rid of some lbs that is making my knees hurt so bad. today is my first day and i have already found out that there will not be many hardee's egg and bacon any more.LOL,i started my morning with one then went, found this site and WOW, yep. it sure did hurt the calories for the rest of the day, but, i'm sure that i will be shocked at other things i eat and then when you put it in it like a thunder bolt,.. i love to go to flea markets and thrift stores so i have been trying to do my walking there.but i need to push more often in the walking area.you know they say "no pain no gain" so i know the pain is there so i must be doing something right, i will be adding a picture later, if i can find a recent one.yours looks like your on a cruise, we just got back from a cruise on june 23 so i might find one of it i can post,

Oh boy, sounds like your family has been cursed with that nasty ol "Arthur" itis. guy. And yes, walking at the flea market is a great exercise. Just keep track of how many minutes you do it and you will find it is a nice burn. Talking of calories, I know what you mean. Last year when I started, I would look at the calorie count and think OMG, no wonder at one time I was up to 235 pounds. I had not a clue what the calories were. I try my best to eat more healthier, but I know I don't do as well as I could. When I started out, I said I would not give up any food I love, and I haven't, But, I have learned to cut way back. Small changes really did make a difference. I am glad you are here, great group of pals. I will ask my pal Kiris to friend you. She is wonderful and I have grown so close to her just from being on here.
    That pic is from a cruise this past March. I love cruising. Where did you go on yours? We did the 9 day Mexican Riviera this last time.
  • nannabannana
    Options
    HI THERE LADYBUG: My name is Di. I too have a right knee replacement, back , knee and neck pains most every day . I am scheduled to have a DEXA on Sept 5th. I will not let my pain dictate too much to me because I am a stubborn southern girl. I have enough sense to quit before it gets to the point of screaming. I found walking helped me the first few mos on this site. Last week I just started doing strength training. WOW ME STRENGTH TRAINING...I am told it will help my bones to not deteriorate as fast. I have shrunk from 5' 21/2" to 5'. Take it slow but steady on your weight and your exercise. That is what worked for me, and I have lost 43 lbs since January. Please log everything you eat, measure your food to be exact, and keep lots of pals, especially those of us who are MATURE...I keep 2 grandbabies 4 days a week 10-12 hrs a day. I am finding they cause more pain than the actual excercises does...hehe they are heavy.
    Some days I could cry from the pain, but I love motivating and supporting others more than anything I do on here.
    Look at my page if you think you would like me as a friend just send me a friend request and I will be happy to accept.
    I am so sorry for your pain and having to retire early...I know all about that.
    BE HAPPY EVEN WHEN YOU ARE IN PAIN:) california is a great pal of mine. I will be happy to give a shout out to my pals to send you a friend request if you like because most are never on this post. They just don't see it. You have to scroll all the way down the page to view it.
    And I am DI and good luck on this beautiful journey to be FIT AND HEALTHY, don't let the SCALES define who you are:)
    Di
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, gosh, it's fun getting older,I guess none of us can escape it tho. I have Fibromyalgia, arthritis, heart valve disease, but, I try to not let it define who I am. I adore my grandkids, so I keep moving for them, sometimes that movement is painful, but so worth it. You learn alot of sitting activities, lol. You know, when walking is hard, you can sit in your chair and bend, stretch, etc. Just try to keep things moving someway. Like nannnabanana says, don't let the pain dictate to you!!!! Red
  • Nana_Anne
    Nana_Anne Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I like that name Di :-) Hi there Ladybug! My name is Anne. I have many disabilities. You can read about them in my profile and how I deal with them. I will be honest with you. I love Jesus and my life is all about Jesus. I would love to be firends but first read my profile and you decide. You can send a friend request anytime or you can just watch me with Di and find out who I am. You know we can all be anyone one behind this computer! I saw a joke once showing this old man in a dirty Tshirt with a big belly saying how young and terrific he was and the girl talking to him saying she was this hot blonde when she looked like Maxine! ROFL!!! So I always leave it up to you. Who knows I could be that old fart man! Oh how I crack myself up. I'm laughing way too hard and I need to get busy working on my project outside. Have a wonderful day with Jesus :-)
  • nannabannana
    Options
    I like that name Di :-) Hi there Ladybug! My name is Anne. I have many disabilities. You can read about them in my profile and how I deal with them. I will be honest with you. I love Jesus and my life is all about Jesus. I would love to be firends but first read my profile and you decide. You can send a friend request anytime or you can just watch me with Di and find out who I am. You know we can all be anyone one behind this computer! I saw a joke once showing this old man in a dirty Tshirt with a big belly saying how young and terrific he was and the girl talking to him saying she was this hot blonde when she looked like Maxine! ROFL!!! So I always leave it up to you. Who knows I could be that old fart man! Oh how I crack myself up. I'm laughing way too hard and I need to get busy working on my project outside. Have a wonderful day with Jesus :-)

ROTFL ANNE: What happened to that nice young trail walker who gets lost...hehe
  • tr853
    tr853 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group sweatpants. You will love it here, everyone is so supportive & no one posts negative comments. A lot of us have knee, shoulder, back & hip problems so we understand.:smile:
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Welcome Sweatpants--cute name. A lot of on here are in the same boat with joint problems, it sucks but hey we're alive and improving our health. I'll send you a friend request, we are a very supportive group and that is what has kept me going on here--great pals.
    Liz
  • Nana_Anne
    Nana_Anne Posts: 179 Member
    Options

ROTFL ANNE: What happened to that nice young trail walker who gets lost...hehe

Oh I must have had a rare senior moment of insanity! Watch out it could be catching :-) And yes I walk in the woods and ummm get lost and crawl through poisin oak. ooops.