Acella?

Options
patty43ck
patty43ck Posts: 248 Member
Is anyone here on Acella and if so, how is it working for you. I just recently had my bloodwork done and have an appointment with my doctor on the 30th. I am currently on Armour and have been for several years but have never been able to feel normal on it...especially after reformulation in 2009. I am thinking of having my doctor move me back to Synthroid or try this new Acella. Just curious how it is working for other people.

Replies

• dkschrader
    dkschrader Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My doc just changed me to having my thyroid meds compounded. due to my numbers not changing with upping 50% and still not feeling well. also taking other supplements due to low cortisol. So waiting to see how it all makes me feel.
    good luck with what you decide to do.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of Accella lovers on the Facebook group for Stop The Thyroid Madness. I would take any natural thyroid medication over Syntrhoid -- it's the pits.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I also recommend you ask your doctor to check your adrenals - doing the 24 hour saliva test. No thyroid medication will work correctly if you have adrenal stress -- you need cortisol to usher the T3 into your cells. If you have adrenal fatigue and aren't producing enough cortisol, your thyroid hormones can't help because they can't get into the cells. Every cell in your body needs T3 - that's why I don't recommend Synthroid --it's T4 only and synthetic.
  • patty43ck
    patty43ck Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I have never had a saliva test done. I will mention it to my doctor. It makes sense. The only reason I mention Synthroid is because I was on it for most of my life and had no issues with it. I was thin all my life until I had my first child and then was switched to armour about 6 months later after I started having symptoms. I was diagnosed at 3years old. I do not have a thyroid gland at all.
  • karaklj
    karaklj Posts: 26
    Options
    I'm on Acella and love it so far! I'm hopeful again!
  • karaklj
    Options
    Some people do well on synthetics...were all so different I would go with how your body feels!
  • MmmDrop
    MmmDrop Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    In addition to having your adrenals checked, have your iron checked as well. Its pretty common for people who have issues with still feeling sick on NDT to have low iron levels. :D
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I just want to pipe in to go, "WHAT? A NEW DRUG?" I'm meeting with my endo at the end of September, and I will mention it since he's leery about putting me on Armour again (my main issues are lingering effects of TOO much thyroid from a high dose of levothyroxine, but stubborn weight gain is a big problem).
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I want to know how much acella costs?? and how long it took for you to feel like a person again?
  • karaklj
    Options
    Yes , im on Acella its been wonderful so far I have been for 4 or 5 months now,My joint pain has gotten better my back hurts less Im pleased with my overall more energy and journey to feeling my best.

I thought i would share what my expiriance has been.
  • karaklj
    Options
    Acella is 11.99 at wallgreens Pharmacy I take 2 60mg tablet and then 60 mgs on sunday.its very affordable compared to Levoxly cytomel my previous treatment.