Ice Skaters Roll Call

Options
Hi Ice Skaters!

I'm Ice Skate Fan RN - I'm more of a FAN of figure skating than an actual skater.... although I do skate! (and yes, I'm a Registered Nurse as well!)

I'm 51 - I started taking ice skating lessons for the first time ever when I was "in my 40's!" I've taught Basic Skills before - or as I call it, the "Fall Down-Get Up" class... you know what they say... TEACH WHAT YOU KNOW... and I KNOW how to Fall Down and Get UP, lolol!

I've been off the ice for a few years due to my being TOO FAT for my skate pants! I hope to get back into those pants soon, and get back on the ice, maybe even go back to teaching Basic Skills!

Introduce yourselves here - I'm looking forward to getting to know all the Ice Skaters on MFP!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Ice

Replies

• BeSkinnyBeStrong
    Options
    Hi!

I'm Samantha.

I did competitive figure skating for 16 years (age 4 to 20.. I'm 22 now). I registered this year to get back into it but haven't really found the time to go back.

I realize now that figure skating was the best workout ever. Doing something you love while burning calories? Why not! I would use it again as exercise but it's hard to skate at the level I was at while being in an Adult group and I'm not good enough to go back into the competitive groups.

Nice to meet you all! :)
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Dawn and a victim of Late Onset Adult Figure Skating! I skated on ponds as a kid, but never took lessons. When I signed my son up for the tots class I noticed they had an adult class during the same session so I signed up. I'm 44, I started skating at 39. I just passed the Adult Pre-Bronze Freestyle test and the Bronze moves.
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I'm Alison.

I've been skating now for 33 years give or take a few years off here and there. I competed in dance with my brother in our teens, coached, took a couple years off. I took up skating again as an adult because I was bored of the gym.

Cue the adult skating career which includes, competing in (and winning) the first 2 adult nationals here in Canada in dance. I skate on a synchro team and have for about 7 years now (with a year off for having a baby). For a few years I skated with an older gentleman (like pushing 80) and helped him with his dances and general skating skills. This year we joined a private club so I could skate while my son is at preschool. There I do 2 adult group classes a week and usually go in one evening to work on my last 2 dances that I plan to test this year. And if that's not enough I'm going to skate with my skate sharpener (who also skates) in dance for Adult Nationals. I'm skating more now than I have in a long time but I'm loving it. it's such good exercise.
  • hotonice
    hotonice Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm Ashley...I'm a 22 year old competitive ice dancer and at this very moment I am in salt lake city competing at sectionals. My partner and I are from ny but we train in Connecticut. Lots if traveling and lots of driving but I love it!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm Q...

I used to skate almost daily in high school and college. After college, when mom and dad stopped paying for ice time, I couldn't skate anymore. With a full time job and not a lot of money, I lacked the time (freestyles aren't often scheduled convenient to a M-F work schedule) and the funds.

Now that I'm more settled, have a great job with lots of flexibility, I'm back into skating. At my best, I passed Freestyle 4 and was working on testing for 5. I don't intend to test this go around, but I would like to get back all my single jumps (I had a pretty great lutz), plus finally learn an axel. But the moves in the field interest me more than they did when I was younger. Back then, it was all about the fancy jumps and spins, things my friends could recognize. Now, I really dig the mental discipline of moves.

I also pimped this group out to my skating friends on here....hopefully, they'll be along shortly. One, I see, has already arrived. :-)
  • skinnyminniexx
    skinnyminniexx Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    hey i'm nikki!

i have my gold medal in moves in the field, my intermediate freestyle (then i had to quit), and i'm working on my pre-gold dances.

i've been skating since i was 3 and competing in both freestyle and synchro since i was 6. i competed in my first synchro nationals when i was 8, and since then i've competed at nationals for synchro 6 times. when i was 14 i fell on a double jump and got nerve damage at three levels in my spine, so my doctors made me quit freestyle. but i still do synchro, and i have for about 8 years. i'm currently a senior team and cross skating down to help out with the novice team as well.
  • akaChuck
    akaChuck Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm Haley...if you couldn't tell by the username

I'm a competitive skater, have been since the age of 6...I wanted to start skating so I could be in a Christmas show and have everyone clap for me lol. Now I train at the University of Delaware (more like my butt gets kicked) and absolutely love it!!! I've been to Nationals at the Junior level twice and am currently in Jamestown NY for sectionals to qualify as my first year Senior, we'll see how it goes!

I love seeing all the support from the skating community out here on MFP :)
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Options
    Good luck to everyone at sectionals!
  • Blue71
    Blue71 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm Kathie. I just found this group the other day. I skated competitively from age 6-16, then didn't return to skating until late in my 30s. I very much regret the long lay-off b/c it brings me such joy while being a phenomenal workout!
  • toadiejones
    toadiejones Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just found this group on here today!

I'm Chris. I skated singles & synchro competitively since age 8 (have 4 Gold tests in Canada), turned pro/coach at 18 and worked until after the birth of my 2nd child at age 30. I moved to Cleveland 4 years ago and haven't been able to coach as I am a dependent on my husband's work visa. But I found a synchro team and am having a blast competing again. It's fun not being to one in charge! Ha! We skated Masters the past 3 years but this year we moved to Adult Open as we got some young, strong blood on the team. Its great but still a little sad we are not going to Nationals this year. At first we thought we would work on improving to eventually move to Adult but I think it maybe easier to wait until our young ones age and can go back to Masters. LOL!

Anyway, so glad to see skaters on here. I've been wearing my hrm monitor to practices and I'm amazed at how much it burns. If I have to choose between going for an hour run or going for an hour skate, I'll pick an hour skate any day!
  • mariannejj108
    Options
    Yey! Oh man, I was so happy when I found this group here. I'm also an adult skater, I used to skate when I was younger but I have also added on about 50 lbs to much so I can't really jump any more. So i decided to change things and, well. Here I am. Actually, my main motivation for loosing weight and working out is to be able to be a better skater. For me, that's a great motivation. Any one else here in the same situation? I hope all of you are doing well! Good luck with your skating.
  • mariannejj108
    Options
    Hi again! Haha, so I was really tired when I posted to this Roll Call but I was just so happy to find it I had to answer right away. :) So I thought I'd tell you a bit more on who I am.

I used to skate when I was younger, I have never been tiny, even when I used to practice a lot during high school. I quit when I was 15 and started to work as a coach and have worked as an adult coach for some years. (Love love loved it.) Nowadays, I'm 29 and in my final year of medical school, time sometimes run short! I decided to start skating again about 3 years ago and I skate about 3-4 times a week, do yoga once a week and TRY to get my lazy but to the gym for strength and cardio about 2 times a week. I don't always succeed. :)

The past month I have been struggling with an injury to my lower back (Really frustrating) and I also decided, after new years that I had to do something about my weight, being 180 lbs I just felt so heavy and unfit on the ice. And I really felt that the extra weight put so much more strain on my joints, especially when jumping, that I had to do something. So, here I am! I'm now at 170 lbs and I have a goal weight of 127lbs (Oh dear, fingers crossed).
    Yes, that's about it. Skate carefully!

/Jo
  • andilauni
    andilauni Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am a 32 year old adult figure skater! I never skated as a child but always wanted to. (My small town didn't have a rink and the closest one was over 4 hours away.) I stepped on the ice for only the second time in my life when I took a ice skating course in college for P.E. Credit. I took the class so many times after that I couldn't get credit anymore. Then I moved again to work on a cruise ship with no ice, after a 5 year break I started up again, that was 3 years ago and I haven't looked back! I now skate 3-4 days a week (3 of which are 5:30 am session). The 415am wake ups are hard some days but worth it! Figure skating is my therapy!! I have my very first competition in 2 weeks!!! I am nervous but excited to see how I do with competition and judges! And trying to lose a few pounds so the skating dress looks a little better!!
  • PS2CR
    PS2CR Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi, all. I'm a 57-year old adult figure skater. I skated recreationally as a child; started my first private skating lessons at age 22. Got utterly and completely hooked, which is probably a good thing, as I'd otherwise have been a complete couch potato the past 35 years (low tolerance for 'boring' exercise). Ended up teaching/coaching for several years, and am now simply trying to get back to skating regularly after some recent health issues put a damper on things. Best exercise ever for getting in shape, no matter the age. :)
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Options
    Hi! I sometimes forget to check my groups! I'm always excited to meet adult skaters!
  • skaterskinnywannabe93
    Options
    Hi!

My name is Anna and I am a semi-competitive figure skater. I skated competitively through USFSA from the age of 12-18 in the lower divisions then moved to Ohio for college. I now train at Miami University and compete for their Intercollegiate Figure Skating Team. I competed this year at Nationals for Intercollegiate Team Skating, skated a pretty strong Novice Short but the altitude started to get to me during the event at Colorado Springs. Even while i was half way through my weight loss goal, that's when i knew I needed to do something and make myself healthier.

My motivation for weight loss is to be a better competitor and skate stronger. I gained 20 lbs upon going to college and now am trying to make myself a better athlete both for my team and myself.

So glad I found this group and hope to get to know all of you! :)
  • Cflyum
    Cflyum Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi! My name is Charlene, but most people call me Chuck. I skated a little when I was younger mostly on rinks while ou of town or a local lake. I started playing adult hockey at 32 and I LOVE it. The skating is amazing and the game is a blast. I'm in Alaska, with a great husband and two awesome kids. I am so excited to find a group about skating and I look forward to chatting with you all.
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Hello, My name is Lisa. I used to skate as a youngster and gave it up when I discovered boys. Now that I am an empty-nester and have lost 70 pounds I started looking for something fun to do for exercise. I remembered how much I loved ice skating, so I went out and got a pair of skates and hit the ice (not literally, thank god!). I was shaky but it felt really good. I signed up for lessons with a goal of doing some ice dancing.

I enjoyed my first lesson immensely! Look forward to chatting with you all!
  • scs3371
    scs3371 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I'm a 41 year old skater! I never skated as a child (no rink near me - I'm in Texas!) I started skating when I was 30 and took to it right away. Skated for close to two years and then moved away to a place that didn't have a rink. I moved back to Dallas a couple of years ago and took up skating again about this time last year. I don't get to skate much because of my schedule and grad school but get up at 0630 on Saturday mornings to get to a freestyle session and my coach. I also do a lot of yoga and dance.

Nice to "meet" everyone!

Stacy
  • VitVit18
    VitVit18 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I'm Vic, I'm 23 and been on the ice almost my entire life! Never been competitive, can barely land single jumps most days. I stopped skating for about a year and a half during university, and got myself a bad boyfriend and the whole bit... but I had to get back out on the ice. I found that one of the local clubs here has an Adult session, so I immediately joined that and haven't looked back to skating with kids since.

My current goals are to land an axel, compete at Adult Nationals and get my Skate Canada Gold level dances, all by the time I'm 30! The axel one could possibly happen this season, my fingers are crossed!! Nationals are a few years off yet, and the dances I'm still stuck on my Harris (hopefully testing it by the spring though!).

So nice to see so many adult skaters!!