How do I get faster?

Options
Riskay123
Riskay123 Posts: 159 Member
I finished the C25K program about 2 weeks ago:happy: . I am a slow runner so my new goal is to complete 5K in fewer than 30 min. At the moment I am only doing about 4.3KM in the 30 minutes and no matter how hard I try I can’t seem to gain much more. How do I get faster without needing to vomit in one of my neighbour’s gardens because I have pushed myself to hard?

Replies

• wfnugent
    wfnugent Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When you figure it out, PLEASE tell me! I am going to the high school track today to do intervals. Maybe that will help.

First 5k is on September 1 and have signed up for a second 2 weeks later.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I recently completed c25k and my 5k completion time was slower than I would like. I have started using a NHS c25k+ podcast which is intended for c25k graduates and you run at the tempo of the music (>=150 bpm). You keep pace with the beat of the music. It keeps your legs moving at a constant or increasing pace for a 30 minunte duration.

At first, I had trouble keeping up with the pace for the entire 30 minutes but now (1-2 wks later) my pace is faster than the beat of the music for most of the 30 minutes. I have taken about 10% off my 5k time using this one podcast. Its called NHS c25k+ Stepping Stone. I got it off iTunes but its probably available with a google search. There are two other podcasts in this group which I have not tried yet. I am also starting to include intervals duing the tempo runs which allow me to increase my speed for a 100 m or so then recover at a slower pace for 100 m, repeatedly. My goal is to get my 5k time to 30 min. before adding more distance to my running workouts.

You may want to give this a try...