Brand new - started today!

Options
lvnspoonful
lvnspoonful Posts: 391 Member
Hey everyone!! I am Amber and I just started Phase 1 today. It is just a little past lunchtime and I am at 18 NC already - this is going to be harder than I thought.

I have never done Atkins before but I am definitely looking to get control of my carbs as I am pre-diabetic.

Please add me as a friend, I can definitely use extra help and support!

Thanks everyone!!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• lvnspoonful
    lvnspoonful Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Realizing I may not have the best food in my house to start this - what do you eat in a typical day? I have tons of chicken and asparagus and eggs......but looking at the food labels of what else I have - too many carbs!!! Need some recommendations....please!
  • MarissaCB39
    MarissaCB39 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Phase 1 is easier once you keep going. You'll realize you like the taste of meat and veggies more than potatoes and bread. I used to eat cereal every morning but now have hardboiled, scrambled or over easy eggs, tuna or chicken and BACON is amazing. You learn to adapt quickly and there are some great results. I net around 20-25 net carbs a day (except yesterday and today since I'm following the atkins "fat fast" to kick start) but feel free to read my diary, it's public.
    Avoid sugar free items and stick to whole, natural meat and veggies but if you read the Atkins book or go online you'll understand which veggies are the best to eat during induction.

I've been in Phase 1 since June 25th (had some slip ups) but since then I've lost 13 pounds. Good luck!
  • mycatbutters
    mycatbutters Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Have you read the book?

It might be here somewhere but on the Atkins website and a lot of places there is a list of acceptable food for induction. There isn't a whole lot of packaged things that are acceptable.

Almonds are my lifesaver. I mix a plain pack with a lightly salted pack to watch my sodium. Cucumbers also help me get past cravings. Sliced and cold they are delicious.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    So you don't get disappointed.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LowcarbNY/view/the-science-behind-rapid-weight-loss-during-the-1st-week-or-so-of-low-carb-i-e-induction-and-why-it-eventually-slows-down-348757

And you should read one of the many versions of Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution (DANDR). I'm sure you can find many copies in any used paperback store of under a buck.

There are lists of what foods are legal during induction and sample menus
  • mojomarie
    mojomarie Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    What is "Fat Fast" ?
  • glenner
    glenner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Anyone want to add me as friends? I am starting Atkins AGAIN!! I love it but find it hard sometimes if I am not prepared. Need a kick in the butt!