Tamoxifen

Options
Skudsister
Skudsister Posts: 26 Member
Hi,

My menopausal symptoms are, probably, all down to the Tamoxifen I am taking after treatment for breast cancer. They aren't too bad but I could really live without the hot flushes. I can't have HRT or black cohosh as my tumour had hormone receptors - does anyone have any suggestions for supplements/foods I could try. I have tried switching to soya milk but really don't like the taste (and, as a true Englishwoman, tea is too important to spoil :wink: ). I am trying starflower oil but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Roll on the winter....

Jane

Replies

• MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I recently started taking i-Cool. Got it at the drug store. It has helped some NOT eliminated but hepled.
  • workshy000
    workshy000 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    As far as soy goes there is soy grits (hard crumbs of soy that you soak and cook in stir fries, casseroles, etc. Possibly use in a salad, but I haven't tried that. Tofu, soft or hard, can be used in all of the above as well as for a dessert. There is soy yoghurt available in a lot of supermarkets these days. I drink a cup of heated soy milk at night but if I have it too often it gives me bellyache.

I have been using a small amount of cinnamon in my porridge (It's winter here). I read that it is helpful with hot flushes but I can't remember the dosage or anything else relevant really except that you shouldn't take it if you have high blood pressure or liver ailments. I don't know if it's helped but my hot flushes have abated. these things tend to cycle for me anyway (not related to the weather!)

Found this:
    Cinnamon (the inner bark of the tropical cinnamon tree) comes in the form of sticks and powder. Sprinkle it on toast, add it to oatmeal or use it on desserts. Make cinnamon tea by pouring one to two cups (250 to 500 millilitres) of boiling water over one- to 1-1/2-inch sticks; steep for 10 minutes. Caution: Ingesting four tablespoons (60 mL) of cinnamon oil has been linked to serious side-effects.
  • Skudsister
    Options
    Thanks for the hints - I shall check them out. I wonder if cinnamon works if you put it in the banana loaf I am planning to bake this afternoon :smile:

Jane
  • Skudsister
    Options
    Ah, the i-Cool looks like it is only available in the States and shouldn't be taken with Tamoxifen. Oh well, I shall keep looking and wait for winter..

J
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm a six year survivor I too took tamoxifen and now am on Femarra, the hot flashes are horrible. I too can take any hormones as my cancer was Hormone receptive. I asked my Hematologist he suggested Evening Primrose oil to aleviate the hot flashes. Didn't do much for me. I keep an ice pack in the freezer that wraps around my neck when I get a really bad hot flash
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Ah, the i-Cool looks like it is only available in the States and shouldn't be taken with Tamoxifen. Oh well, I shall keep looking and wait for winter..

J
    yeah I never cared much for winter till now! Good luck
  • Skudsister
    Options
    Thanks again - I'll stick with the Starflower capsules (sort of beefed up evening primrose) even though it doesn't seem to do much. @Jojo - I've decided hormones are just over-rated and I'm going to try and ignore them. You can do that, right?:ohwell:

Winter here will be good - its not quite like being in the Rockies or anything but our village website used to be called itsnowsupherein june.com - they had pictures of a cricket match being snowed off....

Jane
  • 02tods
    02tods Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for winter here too. :noway: Can't believe I said that, I used to love the heat! I'm also on tamoxifen and have been for 2 years now. I will be a 3 year survivor in December, going by diagnosis date. My oncologist put me on effexor to help with the flashes...they were so severe. It has definitely helped. Good luck! :smile: