5 months out hormones are "jacked up" is that normal

Options
I'm about 5 months post gastric sleeve and my hormones are really wacky. If I miss one birth control pill, I start my cycle, I'm having terrible breast tenderness and mood swings. What's going on?
I know that estrogen is stored in fat cells, is it released as you loose weight? Anyone else experience this? Does it level out at some point or should I see my OB/GYN?
Thanks everyone!
Kelly

Replies

• Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Goodness I hope it levels out! And yep...releasing all that estrogen "jacks you up" a bit. I find I am tons more emotional than I used to be.
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I had lap band 6 years ago and never really did experience any changes post surgery (and I am on the pill). Your body may be a little messed up because you have lost weight so rapidly. If it continues you do need to see your doctor.
  • Napjeeper
    Options
    Short answer is most likely yes. Your body is going through a massive change, very quickly and it's going to take some time to adjust. ALSO, I'm not sure how long you were under, but anesthesia causes depression, mood swings and the like. It's stored in fat cells. For my surgery I was under for 8.5 hours and my body had plenty of time to store a bunch of that away. As I lost weight, I would get waves of it in my system, making me tired, irritable, etc.

About a year and a half ago, my doctor ran some blood tests and found my T levels in the toilet. I'm not sure if it's genetic or a result of the surgery, but it was something that came up.

Hang in there and chat with your doctor, they may want to run a couple quick blood tests to make sure you're where you should be. :)
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm 7 months out, and had no hormone issues, and I was concerned about that. However, I have had fewer issues with ovarian cycsts that before surgery! I'm happy. I have been in menopause for well over five years, so that may be to my advantage! (I'm 52).
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Yes. You are perfectly normal. Happens to most of us. Mine did level out after I got to goal, about 14 months out.
  • ktempl
    ktempl Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks Laura, that makes me feel better, I had a feeling it was related to the weight loss, and didn't want to make an appt with my Gyn just yet. Due to go there in November, maybe it will level out a little by then.