Confusing measurements

Options
orishp
orishp Posts: 214 Member
I started NROL a couple of weeks ago, before that I have been on a supervised diet, I am now on the maintenance phase but I still see a dietitian/physical trainer once a month.

Yesterday I had an appt with her, she uses one of those scales that measures body fat. In the last month I have gained 2 lbs, but lost a bit of fat, and gained 2-3 lbs of muscle.
She then took my measurements, my upper body is a few inches slimmer, but I have gained in my hips and thighs, precisely my problem areas (pear shaped)

She said that I am lifting too heavy, and that I should do more reps with lower weight, just opposite to what the book says.

Now I am really confused, is there a magical way to just lose fat, without gaining (or losing) muscle? I know the book says I wont bulk up, but seeing my measurements up exactly where I don't want them to go up is nerve wracking.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Febgirl
    Febgirl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the book warns of this - I'd hang in there until at least the end of stage 2 and reassess then. It wasn't until around Stage 3 that I started seeing major changes in my measurements, and everything just keeps shrinking from then on!

This is a before and during Stage 4 comparison of me (I'm up to Stage 5 now) -as you can see I started out pear shaped but have lost heaps from my butt/thighs in the last few months.

FebJuly.jpg
  • orishp
    Options
    Thanks and nice progress ;)
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    Febgrl, you look wonderful!!

Orishp, I think over time you will gain a little but as your body works better by being stronger you will start to see the inches melt.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Overall you're decreasing your BF% which is the best thing you can do. Give your body time to adjust. Reread what Lou says about smaller weights and lower reps :)
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're making progress in the right direction. Give it time. Please don't go back to barbie weights!
  • orishp
    Options
    Thanks ladies, i'll stick with it and try to not freak out :)

Its just difficult to argue against what has worked in the past

But one thing that i have truly learned over the past 3months is to give my body time and stick with it even if the numbers dont go in the right direction, usually my body caughts up with me shortly after i freak out, lol