TOO SLOW?

Options
P05T5CRIPT
P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
Hi everyone!

I just finished WK3 D1 last night, I've registered for a 5K on 30th September in aid of Heart Research, but I'm a little worried reading through all the posts on here that I'm super slow!

My average speed is 3-3.5mph, I feel like I'm going to be so slow when I do the 5K. My aim is just to finish but ideally I'd like to do it in less than 50 minutes realistically.

Just wondered if anyone is as slow as me and if anyone got faster as they progressed. My speed has increased a little since WK1 but not much.

Replies

• Elisac2008
    Elisac2008 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I use the treadmill at 4.0 mph. I slowly got faster.
  • bizorra
    bizorra Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Does your race have a time limit? 5ks rarely do since there are often walkers... If there's no time limit, don't sweat it! You'll be so pumped from the crowd you'll be faster than you expect :)

If you're really worried you could map out a 5k route and walk it on one of your off days, just to see what your absolute slowest time could be...
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    My overall speed has increased slowly as I continue to add time and distance to my workouts with c25k... Practice makes perfect... I entered a 5k in W6, completed it in just under 40 min. with a few short walk breaks. I am continuing to increase time/milege, doing tempo runs and working hills into my runs to increase my speed. Planning to sign up for a 5k on Labor day weekend. Planning to run the entire course.
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I did my walking at 3.5 and started "running" at 4.0.
    Slowly gained the ability to go faster. I can probably stay at 4.5.
    I've got long legs and had to make the effort to take longer strides.
    Just be patient :)
  • mayberry310
    mayberry310 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I haven't been on a treadmill since I decided to start going outside to do my C25K runs, but I started at 3.0 on the treadmill as my warm up walk, was running at 3.8-4.1, and then was walking at 3.5 in between the runs.

Like I said, I'm outside now. I added the Nike+Running app to my C25K app because a)I wanted to go longer than the scheduled 28-35 minutes that C25K has, and b) like you I wanted to know what my time for 3.1 miles was. I'm coming in at 44.33 with an average of 14.37 min/mile. I know that's not a GREAT time, but for me it's awesome. Because 3 weeks ago I was sitting quite literally on the couch.

That was my long winded way of saying, that yes, You can definitely finish in under 50min with your pace. Feel free to add me if you want. I'd love another C25K runner as a friend. :smile:
  • sgnmom
    sgnmom Posts: 3
    Options
    I am most definitely the same pace as you. I still have 100 pounds to lose, so my lungs and heart are having a hard time on the running segments. It's more like a really, really slow jog. However, I'd like to encourage you by saying that I walked a 5K last year, walked the whole thing, and came in at 52 minutes. So, I think your goal of 50 minutes is very, very realistic.