Menopause...how old were you?

Options
I hope you don't think this is too personal of a question, but this is definitely "for boomers only" and a concern of mine....

I was thinking perhaps I'm the oldest person ever to not have gone through menopause yet. Here I am at age 54 (55 in November) and my monthly cycle is still going strong! I have probably skipped one or two months in the last several years. I know the average age is 51 and on webmd, it says the normal age range for menopause is 48-55. I guess I'm still in the "normal" range so far. I wonder if it has to do with being obese all these years? I also started early at age 11 and was a chubby kid too. At that time, during puberty, I packed on 45 pounds around 6th grade! Wow...nearly 44 years of having mother nature stop by every month.

I have two sisters...one had an "early" menopause in her 40's and she's of a normal weight. The other sister (a little overweight) had a hysterectomy at age 51 and was still going strong. My mother also had a hysterectomy at age 51 and was going strong at the time.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Replies

• dianefisher47
    dianefisher47 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    In response to your topic, I am very close to 65 years old and I have not had menopause at all......at 42 started not having periods in the summer, when fall winter (doctor said because I was doing lots of sports) would come and they came back also ...but at 48 doctor took a blood test and said well no more periods for you..so I waited and waited (not really just figure of speech) never had any sign I guess I am a lucky one..I'm the oldest of 4 girls and the 3 younger ones were really hit with heavy menopause ...I hope you are not having big menopause problemes:blushing: good luck
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I was 48. I have 6 sisters. The youngest is 49 now and has not gone through menopause. Of my other 5 sisters, 2 had total hysterectomies in their early 40's mostly due to very heavy, frequent periods, the other 3 went through menopause in their early 50's with full blown symptoms. I barely knew what was happening. Lucky I guess.
    It is funny, at work on Friday I walked in on a conversation between two of my male co-workers. Both of them are going through it with their s/o. Both are walking on eggshells around their s/o. They asked me about it. I told them for me, it was a breeze. I may be the only sister that got the fat genes, but I also got the easy menopause gene.:smile:
  • 19547five
    Options
    I was 42..... And was off the charts with hot flashes, insanity, emotional, am now 65
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I was only 35 and my doctor ran numerous tests to be sure because I was so young.
  • madivp
    madivp Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I was 50 but took me a long time to get though it. It took a couple of years.
  • topshopperwantabe
    topshopperwantabe Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I was 42, medically induced. Hot flashes, night sweats, roller coaster emotions. It was over in a few months. I don't miss my little friend every month, but I do hate the chin hairs! What's with that? :)