3 weeks and going strong.

Options
No smoking for 3 weeks now, The only problem....FOOD! I can't stop eatting. One of the reasons I sign up for MFP so I can get my eatting habits under control. Any suggestions?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Cig cravings, for me anyway, eerily feel like hunger pangs. Don't confuse the two. When you feel it, think to yourself if it is your brain craving nicotine or are you legitimately hungry. Also, if it is the hand/mouth habit and not the cravings that is making you eat more, then find a replacement. Chew on a straw, suck on a lollipop, chew gum, have a Popsicle...whatever keeps your hands busy if that's what you need.

Hang in there, it does get better. I promise!
  • richellmybell
    Options
    I tend to do the same thing. I quit smoking December last year and am now carrying 30+ lbs around that I did not have then.
    During the process of quitting smoking, I decided that I would take it 1 step at a time. quit smoking first and worry about the rest of it later. well... it is now later :) I have to get rid of this extra weight. it is totally killing my feet :)

tips:: 1- drink a ton of water- at least half of your weight in ounces every day
    2- go for a walk or do something to take your mind off of eating and smoking.
    3- play with your kids if you have any. you can't smoke around kids. :)
    4- read a book

just try to remember that the craving for a cigarette will last for just a minute or two. :wink: :wink:
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    When I had quit for a few months, clementines helped me a lot. They were very small (low-cal and not too filling), healthy things I could eat, and having to peel them kept my hands busy too. Usually by the time I peeled one and ate it (one little section at a time) the worst of the cig craving had gone away. I've heard the citrus helps too, though I'm not sure why- all I know is it definitely helped :) So did strong, minty gum. At home, I would brush my teeth. Something about strong mint makes food, drinks, cigs all sound gross to me.