Something threw me out of Ketosis and I'm stumped

Options
Yesterday I got home and had dinner and when I tested myself before bed I was showing neutral on the keto Stick. I tested again this morning and It hasn't changed. I'm completley stumped by this since I have been a very very good boy and haven't cheated one darn bit.
I'm thinking it was the Akins bar I had for lunch or the Brusssel Sprouts for dinner. Any takers on this one?

Replies

• SmartWhatever
    SmartWhatever Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    When I was eating the Atkins bars I found they stalled my weight loss and I would only showed trace on the keto strips.
    I stopped eating them and everything else that has sugar alcohols in them and haven't had any further issues since then.
    I now eat Quest bars, no sugar alcohols in the original ones and they're yummy too!
    I don't think it could have been the brussel sprouts though. I eat them often!
  • foochick
    foochick Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Your diet looks good. For me, dairy is always suspect....and I dont trust the atkins bars as far as I can throw them.
  • SFBarbear
    SFBarbear Posts: 146
    Options
    Cool! Thanks for the advice. I just ordered a couple of boxes of the original sugar alcohol free Quest bars, I quess Ill give the Atkins to a coworker or the homeless
  • SmartWhatever
    SmartWhatever Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Good idea. I still have about 20 Atkins bars in the freezer at the moment. I didn't know what else to do with them.
    Although they may come in handy if the zombie apocalypse happens soon....
  • Mindywv2003
    Mindywv2003 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I used to keep threm in freezer then as a treat (every once in a while) I would put the frozen one in a baggie and smash then have bite size peices when I went to movies ... better than pop corn or candy :tongue:
  • danielg810
    danielg810 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I LOVE QUEST BARS! theyre so good, some have really balanced macros and all barely have any ingredients- mostly natural stuff! Coconut Cashew tastes like an almond joy, ima go eat one now :)
  • danellekay
    Options
    So what r these Quest bars? Can u only get them on line...and what no carbs?
  • smylee1173
    Options
    I was told not to eat any Atkins bars or anything associated with Atkins.
  • Bill_from_Philly
    Options
    It was probably the Atkins bars. Atkins doesn't count "sugar alcohols" as a carb but some of them, especially malitol have been known to knock people out of ketosis.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    This^^

You have to undestand what ketosis is, and how the sticks work.

Ketosis is when your brain starts to use ketones for fuel. Your brain requires about 100g of glucose per day. Anything under this number will force the brain to use ketones. You can eat 90g of carbs a day and be in ketosis.

The strips work because any "EXCESS" ketones that aren't used will be passed out through the urine. Just because you don't test positive on a ketostix doesn't mean you're not in ketosis. It just means there aren't any "excess" ketones. Your body is using all the ketones.

Also keep i mind that protein converts at a .48/1 ratio. Meaning for every 1g of protein consumed you will produce .48g of glucose. So it's about 50%. If you consume 100g of protein you're really consuming about 50g of carbs(glucose) and 50 grams of protein.

Ketosis or not, it's still about calories. I done ketosis for a long time with no added benefit.

You can't be on the extreme end of the ketostick and be healthy. If you are, you definitely have some metabolic issues. Glucogon and insulin are antagonist hormones. Insulin stores nutrients and fats, glucagon releases them. When you don't eat(ketosis has the same biological effects of starvation) glucagon goes up releasing fats and glucose in to the blood stream. When you eat insulin will go up. Yes even if you just eat protein. If enough insulin isn't produce, ketones start to build up in the body, they can't be used. So a lot of them are excreted through the urine. This is metabolic acidois.

I guess this is just a complex way of saying, your insulin will only go down and stay within a certain range. If you don't eat, glucogon will be released which will release glucose and increase insulin. So insulin won't go super low if you're healthy. There is a bottom line. This will only give you small amount of ketones to be excreted. If you're excreting a lot, you have some insulin issues and should be check. It can be very serious.
  • DannyJAlbers
    Options
    This^^

You have to undestand what ketosis is, and how the sticks work.

Ketosis is when your brain starts to use ketones for fuel. Your brain requires about 100g of glucose per day. Anything under this number will force the brain to use ketones. You can eat 90g of carbs a day and be in ketosis.

The strips work because any "EXCESS" ketones that aren't used will be passed out through the urine. Just because you don't test positive on a ketostix doesn't mean you're not in ketosis. It just means there aren't any "excess" ketones. Your body is using all the ketones.

Also keep i mind that protein converts at a .48/1 ratio. Meaning for every 1g of protein consumed you will produce .48g of glucose. So it's about 50%. If you consume 100g of protein you're really consuming about 50g of carbs(glucose) and 50 grams of protein.

Ketosis or not, it's still about calories. I done ketosis for a long time with no added benefit.

You can't be on the extreme end of the ketostick and be healthy. If you are, you definitely have some metabolic issues. Glucogon and insulin are antagonist hormones. Insulin stores nutrients and fats, glucagon releases them. When you don't eat(ketosis has the same biological effects of starvation) glucagon goes up releasing fats and glucose in to the blood stream. When you eat insulin will go up. Yes even if you just eat protein. If enough insulin isn't produce, ketones start to build up in the body, they can't be used. So a lot of them are excreted through the urine. This is metabolic acidois.

I guess this is just a complex way of saying, your insulin will only go down and stay within a certain range. If you don't eat, glucogon will be released which will release glucose and increase insulin. So insulin won't go super low if you're healthy. There is a bottom line. This will only give you small amount of ketones to be excreted. If you're excreting a lot, you have some insulin issues and should be check. It can be very serious.

90 grams of carbs a day and be in ketosis?

Go into some real low carb places on that net and share that.

This is terrible advice.

Anyone with a ketone blood meter would absolutely laugh at this. There is a difference between pissing ketones in the morning on a stick, when you usually get false positives, and actually being in true ketosis.

Calories? I eat upwards of 6000 calories a day in TRUE nutritonal ketosis and lose weight. It is hardly all about calories.

Almost everyone that practices a ketotic state as a way of life has learned two things

Almost no carbs, less than 20 a day, thats TOTAL not net. After a while you can maybe stretch that to 50. Maybe. The only exception being UCAN superstarch IF you work out signifigant amounts or use it very sparringly.

But 90, while counting calories is simply not a ketogenic diet.

The second thing is limit protein. To much protein will stop ketosis cold. It that simple.

This is not about hard numbers, it is about relative numbers. High fat, moderate (10 to 15%) calories from protein, less than 5% from carbs. You can get into ketosis at first bending those, you can even keto cycle a bit playing with this, but 90? Sorry its absurd.

I would suggest if you really want to learn ketosis as a way of life done right, check out Peter Attia at the Eating Academy (just google), and the Art and Science of Low Carbohyrdate Living (and the 2nd book, Art and Science of Low Carb Performance) which will explain in great detail everything I have spoken of here by two doctors who have spent decades working in low carb athletics.

I know this is meant well, but carb cycle and being in true nutritonal ketosis are completely different states of being.

Now as far as excess ketones, once fully keto adapted those vanish, along with any breath issues, etc... your body will eventually balance with lipids and ketones and you will no longer produce more than you need unless you do a hard or long workout, in which case you will see ketone spillage.

As well for ketosticks, do not check your first urine in the morning. It is almost always a false positive from pooling overnight.

As well, eating coconut oil which converts directly to ketones often fools people into thinking they are in ketosis with further false positives, but its actually just the MCT converting directly to ketones, and not your body fat.

I do not like to come into a new group and tell someone they are wrong, but this all seems very wrong and very much in conflict with the advice you will get from bonafide low carb keto practitioners.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    The 20 some grams of glycerine in an atkins bar can to it for many.

I track Net Carbs = All carbs (carb, fiber, sugar alcohols, glycerine .. ) Minus Fiber .

Every sugar alcohol is metabolized differently.
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You might be sensitive to the glycerine. Real labels, it's fairly easy to avoid. You may be okay with it in smaller amounts, bars tend to have a lot in them.
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I don't eat the Atkins bars, and I find a low carb pumpkin muffin in a minute, made by me, satisfies my sugary cravings (even though it has little sugar.)

To the above, I've already read under 50 g a day will keep most, but not all, in ketosis. However, there are exceptions to every rule. As far as calorie counting being needed, I suppose there are exceptions there, too. but I eat until satisfied - about 2000 calories a day - and I still lose weight. I do not believe you have to watch your calories on this WOE because you just can't seem to pig out on fat without getting sick. But even when i do, I don't seem to gain. A calorie is not a calorie... and with this WOE I have found I don't need to worry about them at all. But - everyone is different. This is just my take - I ate 1600 or less a day and workout constantly on low fat... lost little. Went to this WOE, 2000 a day, working out less... losing weight.

I may try those quest bars one day!
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Pu_ I smell a troll!

lol, ketone bodies are your no. 2 go to fuel for your brain, with lactic acid being the no. 1 brain fuel. You only need about 10g. of glucose for your brain a day, and that is solely from what your liver (not your diet) provides the brain.

PU please go somewhere else with your misinformation!!!
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    OP:

anytime you eat 10g carbs or more in a meal, that will temporarily knock you out of ketosis. Don't worry about it. Your diary is awesome. You are very low and looking great in your carb intake. :) Happy training to you.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Pu_ I smell a troll!

lol, ketone bodies are your no. 2 go to fuel for your brain, with lactic acid being the no. 1 brain fuel. You only need about 10g. of glucose for your brain a day, and that is solely from what your liver (not your diet) provides the brain.

PU please go somewhere else with your misinformation!!!

oh i remember you, i debunked all your theories and asked you to prove yours and you disappeared.

I find that hard to believe, considering she and Danny are correct.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    There is no scale to ketogenic states. You are producing excess ketones or you are not. It's binary. It's black and white.

About eating 10g or more of carbs and that knocking you out of ketosis, though, that's just simply not true.
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Pu, I don't understand why you are on this site giving such bad and dishonest advice.

You say that you've lived on a keto diet, but I wonder for how long. I learned about the keto diet back int he 70s. I lost 30 pounds, and by keeping my carbs under 25/day, I kept it off for 30 years. My recent weight gain is recent - and only happened when "life happened", and I found myself forced to change my diet to accomoate it.

If I were to eat 90 carbs a day, not only would I not be in ketosis, but I would be puffing out like a frightened blowfish.

there is nothing "wrong" with my metabolism. My metabolism is MY metabolism. I do not need to meet your standards that have to do with YOUR metabolism. I am working with my doctor who has no problem with my taking in less than 10 carbs a day. the improvement in my bloodwork was astounding.