Holy Headaches!

Options
I believe I may be in the throes of carb/grain withdrawal. I've only been doing the Primal thing for a few days, and I have a nagging headache and fatigue. Is this typical? Any advice on how to ride it out?

Replies

• Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I had the carb flu for almost two weeks when I first started in January. The best advice I can give you is eat protein and fat when you start feeling yucky. Sleep when you can and take it one day at a time. Eating always made me feel better in those first few days, and it was really my body's way of rebelling. Mind over matter!
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I've been easing into Paleo for the past week but just started Whole30 today. I felt like my eyes were swollen all day, and I took a nap as soon as I got home from work! It's not easy, but I know it'll be worth it....eventually. :)
  • KittyMarie13
    Options
    I'm just a few days in, too. I experienced some headaches this weekend, but I can't sort out whether they are ragweed allergies or lack of carbs. How long did it take you to start feeling carb-flu symptoms?
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    The fatigue started at the end of the second day, and the headache on the third day. I've been around or under 50g of carbs each day.
  • jodester13
    jodester13 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm about 4 weeks into paleo and just finished 2 weeks of whole30. My headaches started on day 2 and lasted about 3 days. They recur every once in awhile, but aren't real bad -- just annoying.
  • KittyMarie13
    Options
    Hmmm, I've been averaging 50-60g of carbs a day. Sad thing is I think I'm probably experiencing what people consider to be carb-flu, but the fuzziness and fatigue are somewhat normal to me.

On the bright side if what I hear is true then I should have a good upswing of energy in my future. Considering what normal feels like to me now I'm guessing that'll be a fantastic difference. :)

For headaches, I sometimes find that massaging the web of skin between the thumb and index finger with good solid pressure helps take the edge off.
  • christimw
    christimw Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    i'm such a wimp when it comes to headaches. i reach for the excedrine. and i'm in the same boat with fuzziness and fatigue being normal. i have noticed i wake up easier and have more energy in the morning, but by 1 or 2, i've hit my wall and its all i can do to keep going to the rest of the day. but honestly, comparing this morning to two weeks ago, i don't know how in the world i could even get out of bed. its getting better. i'm still waiting on this rush of limitless energy i hear so many talk about. i'm only about a week and a half in though, i'm sure it will come.
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    i'm such a wimp when it comes to headaches. i reach for the excedrine. and i'm in the same boat with fuzziness and fatigue being normal. i have noticed i wake up easier and have more energy in the morning, but by 1 or 2, i've hit my wall and its all i can do to keep going to the rest of the day. but honestly, comparing this morning to two weeks ago, i don't know how in the world i could even get out of bed. its getting better. i'm still waiting on this rush of limitless energy i hear so many talk about. i'm only about a week and a half in though, i'm sure it will come.

I've been taking excedrine in the morning sometimes to help me focus at work. One of the unintended consequences of whole30 for me is quitting caffeine cold-turkey too. I don't drink coffee, but I had a steady intake of Coke Zero up until 5 days ago. Right now it's hard to tell if I'm suffering because of lack of carbs or caffeine, but I'm the kind of person who just jumps right in. I'd rather detox all at once and go through one brief really sucky period than extend it. I can't imagine how bad it would be if I didn't temper the withdrawal with excedrine here and there.
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options

I've been taking excedrine in the morning sometimes to help me focus at work. One of the unintended consequences of whole30 for me is quitting caffeine cold-turkey too. I don't drink coffee, but I had a steady intake of Coke Zero up until 5 days ago. Right now it's hard to tell if I'm suffering because of lack of carbs or caffeine, but I'm the kind of person who just jumps right in. I'd rather detox all at once and go through one brief really sucky period than extend it. I can't imagine how bad it would be if I didn't temper the withdrawal with excedrine here and there.

You are brave! I haven't been able to give up the coffee yet! I can only imagine how bad I'd feel if I did. I am only having one cup of black coffee per day, unlike my usual 2-3 with cream and sugar...