When do you fight it and when do you just accept?

Options
I just gained 15 pounds. I am still in a normal weight range, but I went up a size in clothing. No more size 8 for me.

When do you fight it, and when do you just love your body as is?

Replies

• kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I know that personally I go through waves. In my adult life I've weighed anywhere from 120-145, 118 at my very lowest. Without too much effort, just portion control and 2-3 workouts a week, my body seems to stay at 135. I'm happiest with my looks between 125-130 because that's when clothes look best on me. I also feel more comfortable running at a lighter weight because my thighs don't rub together so much. When I really think about it though, it's all vanity. I'm definitely not "fat" at 135. Once I get above 140 most of my lower half wardrobe (skits and pants) don't fit since I carry all my weight in my hips. I also start to feel sluggish and unhealthy, and have less energy. When I decide I would rather enjoy food and beer instead of counting calories, I'm OK with myself at 135. I'll go through a period where for a month or two I'm disciplined with my diet and more active and get down to the 125-130 range. I'll feel good about myself and motivated for a while, then go back to enjoying some of the foods I love. It's a cycle. I really doubt that most people notice the 5-10 difference, and again it's vanity more than anything. My weight is one thing I can control though in a crazy world, and that gives me a semblance of power. As long as I stay below 140 I feel like I'm still healthy, it's only when I notice those other negative side effects like low energy that I know I really need to kick my *kitten* in gear.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I love my body as it is, regardless of what size I am. I fight being a size that makes me uncomfortable in my clothes.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I expect to fight for the rest of my life, because I do love my body and I want to maintain it. (Though "fight" isn't really how I see it, it's more just taking care, eating reasonably and thoughtfully, and keeping active.)

I think it's important to start fighting back when the weight gain nears 10% of your start weight. I've done some reading about set point theory, and 10% seems to be the magical number -- that's when your body can re-set itself at the higher weight.
  • Shannonpurple
    Shannonpurple Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I expect to fight for the rest of my life, because I do love my body and I want to maintain it.

This to a point I mean my "Real Goal" is 150lbs I am 5'7" it seems reason able But is it happily maintainable. Once I am in my healthy range find a weight that you are happy with your body and can live happliy to maintain the weight . The last time I weighted 150lbs I was so unhappy because I was struggling day to day to maintain. You just have to find that happy balance.
  • jkchampton
    Options
    I so agree with Kelsey. I seem to exercise and diet hard core for a while and then get burned out with dieting and allow myself to live more, and then gain some weight back. I have not let myself go up in size, but I got close in March (140) and started dieting much more and lost 10 pounds and I can tell I have gained a lot of muscle. I am at 130 right now. I realize a lot of people would love to be a size 6 and I tell myself to be happy where I am...just keep exercising and try to eat healthy to maintain. However, I want to be thinner. I just can't stand the extra padding. I have never had a high metabolism (watched what I ate since the teenage years), but it keeps getting worse as I age and I am only 31. I have to work my butt off to stay at 130. I am really hoping I can get down to 125 using my fitness pal...just started 2 days ago. Although I am not as concerned about the actual number, but just want to lose some fat. I try to keep in mind that muscle ways more than fat. Sorry I can't answer your question, but I know where you are coming from.
  • Camilletherealdeal
    Camilletherealdeal Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am also struggling to accept that I will probably always be a little bigger than I would ideally like to be, but really, life should be about being healthy, not being skinny. So if you are within a healthy weight range than be happy that you are healthy! :)

Instead of worrying about diet food to make me lose weight, it helps me to think about eating nourishing food that makes my body happy. I still slip up, quite often the past few weeks, but I'm not freaking about it, short-term goals are important, but so is lifelong health and vitality.
  • Krista_1
    Krista_1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    How long did it take you to gain 15 lbs.? Did you change your eating or exercise routine? If it came on suddenly, you may want to have your thyroid checked. If it's out of wack, there is medicine that can bring it back in range, and help you lose the weight you may have inadvertently gained. It's just an avenue you may consider.