I think I'm doing it wrong...

Options
barbcouperus
barbcouperus Posts: 49 Member
ok, so my cut value is 2194, my BMR is 1665. When I first started this, someone so very kindly explained how to get to these numbers and that I should only eat back my exercise calories if I went below my BMR on the NET side. For whatever reason, I think this advice just flew right out of my head and I've been trying to get as close to my cut of 2194 NET, after exercise....is that wrong?? did I completely screw it up??? I don't usually get to that higher number, but somedays, yes I'm very close.

Replies

• MotherGoddess
    MotherGoddess Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Your cut value of 2194 already includes exercise, unless you're basing it off of the "sedentary" numbers. So try to get as close as you can to 2194 total calories, regardless of exercise. The only modification to this is that on really high burn days (say lifting and HIIT in one day) make sure that your NET doesn't fall below your BMR. If it does, just eat enough more to get your NET equal to your BMR.

You didn't completely screw up. Consider it a mini reset and just continue on with the new plan. Stressing about things already done doesn't help you at all.

I know my cut value, and my protein target, so I try to hit those and let the rest kind of fall where it may. I do track my exercise on MFP just to be sure my net isn't too low, but otherwise I ignore the "you've earned xx extra calories through exercise" bit.
  • barbcouperus
    Options
    Your cut value of 2194 already includes exercise, unless you're basing it off of the "sedentary" numbers. So try to get as close as you can to 2194 total calories, regardless of exercise. The only modification to this is that on really high burn days (say lifting and HIIT in one day) make sure that your NET doesn't fall below your BMR. If it does, just eat enough more to get your NET equal to your BMR.

You didn't completely screw up. Consider it a mini reset and just continue on with the new plan. Stressing about things already done doesn't help you at all.

I know my cut value, and my protein target, so I try to hit those and let the rest kind of fall where it may. I do track my exercise on MFP just to be sure my net isn't too low, but otherwise I ignore the "you've earned xx extra calories through exercise" bit.
    When I did my numbers initially, I chose moderate as my exercise level (desk job and workout 5 days per week). So if I'm reading your reply correctly, I should be trying to get to 2194 under the "Food" category and not the "net" category. I should only look at the "net" if I am under my BMR. Right?
  • alcon79
    alcon79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    When I did my numbers initially, I chose moderate as my exercise level (desk job and workout 5 days per week). So if I'm reading your reply correctly, I should be trying to get to 2194 under the "Food" category and not the "net" category. I should only look at the "net" if I am under my BMR. Right?

Exactly. Always aim to eat 2194 daily and only worry about netting under your BMR if you burn a lot of calories.
  • barbcouperus
    Options

Exactly. Always aim to eat 2194 daily and only worry about netting under your BMR if you burn a lot of calories.

thanks!
    glad I realized my error before I gained too much weight!!