Plateau

Options
gsbanks1
gsbanks1 Posts: 69 Member
I am about three and a half weeks out from surgery and I have hit a plateau. I haven’t lost any weight in over two weeks. The scale doesn’t seem to be moving at all. I just started exercising again as I was waiting to get the O.K from the Dr, but that doesn’t seem to have helped any. I feel like I wasted my time getting the surgery and I would have lost more weight if I would have continued to diet on my own. I am open to any suggestions about how to beat and get over this plateau before I lose motivation. Please help!!!

Replies

• ragslittle
    ragslittle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Just relax. We all go through this. We hit our first plateau and think we are the only ones that this surgery isn't going to work for. I remember it well. Give it a little time for your body to balance itself out and you will see the weight coming off again. Remember this isn't an overnight process. You are still going to have times of loss and gain and unfortunatly PLATEAUS!! They are frustraing but don't be discouraged. Stick to the plan and before you know it you will start reaching your goals. My advise is to set small goals don't look to lose a huge amount of weight each week and remember to closer you get to your goal the slower it comes off just keep working the plan. Get your protein, exercise and water and you will make it!!!!.
  • pal00ga
    pal00ga Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are also keeping track of your measurements. The first month and a half, I lost weight a lot slower than others (still do), and it upset me. And I hit a plateau at just 2 weeks out which lasted over 2 weeks. I FREAKED, but while the scale didn't move, the inches were coming off. I used to take measurements every week, but when I realized the inches would still slowly come off even if the pounds weren't, I resorted to just taking them every month. It just helps me realize how much smaller I'm getting even if I'm losing lbs. AND it helped me realize how losing lbs isn't always the big thing. While I lost more lbs the second month than I did the 3rd, I lost more inches in the 3rd.
  • JimLeonardRN
    JimLeonardRN Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'm there to Banks. Scale kinda just hanging for the last couple of weeks. But amazing enough the clothes are falling off faster than the pounds. I've gone from a closet of clothes that were too small to an empty closet.....Every time I put something on that is too big the wife says "nope!" and it goes in the stack of clothes to give to my brother. He's loving it.....Moral of the story.......Dont sweat the scale....What does your clothes say...? How do you feel...? Thats what matters!
  • gsbanks1
    gsbanks1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your encouraging words. It’s kind of hard for me to tell about my clothes because I lost 61 pounds prior to gastric bypass, and got rid of all my fat clothes before surgery. Right now I’m buying clothes like every day because I honestly don’t have any :(. I should be able to notice a difference after wearing my new clothes for some time but right now it’s too hard to tell.

I have not been keeping track of my measurements...I know I know LOL I definitely should invest in some measuring tape. Before the surgery I was losing steady but now NOTHING!!!! I guess I’m comparing my old weight lost progress to gastric bypass and it’s getting me down. Plus, everyone’s always asking, "How much have you lost since surgery"? I guess it’s just not what I expected!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Dont sweat it :) I hit my first of many stalls at three weeks out. Your body is just adjusting. Keep on doing your thing and the scale will move again :)
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    My plateau hit at week 3 and lasted 4 weeks. I figured it up just the other day and for the whole month of June I lost 3 pounds. Let me tell you I was very upset and working my way towards being depressed until someone told me that it happened to most of us. Once your plateau comes to an end things will go back to normal and you'll eventually fall into a pattern of...lose a pound or three then stall for days, maybe a week and lose a pound or three.