Welcome and Introductions

Options

Replies

• RandomPeopleDancin
    Options
    Hi, I'm Lois and I'm 18 years old. I have been doing running for around 2 months but I need to start a running plan and C25K is that plan. I'm wanting to run my first 5K early next year so I have enough time to train and prepare by then.
  • weather4000
    weather4000 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am Stacy. I have 3 beautiful children, 11, 6 and 19 months. I have already lost 40 pounds since last october and have seemed to hit a brick wall the past few months. I would like to finally lose the last 20 pounds and this group is a perfect place for me! I have been thinking about starting this for quite some time but just needed the extra push to get me to actually do it. I love that this group is here because this will for sure give me the extra motivation to get my butt up off the couch and finally start. I
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    Hey all! I'm Ciara, 21 years old, married to an avid runner (6-8miles 3X/week), and lifelong running HATER... I have had asthma since I was a child. But, I discovered that my asthma wasn't affecting me so much when I kept up with regular exercise (surprise, surprise) and one day on vacation, as I was walking on the beach, I was overcome with the urge to run, and run I did! It was only for about 3 minutes, but for ME to RUN for 3 minutes straight??? Crazy. That's when I decided maybe I could get into running.

So here I am! 5K is a good starting point, and it's a distance my husband would me more than willing to run with me unless he's training for another 1/2 marathon, so I've made it my goal. I would love to be able to go on runs with my husband.

I actually have already started C25K and I love it! I'm glad to be with this group for the extra support, because I know that it's only going to get harder! The first day was miserable for me. I gave up without finishing the workout, but I came back to try it again and now I'll do Week 2 Day 3 on Monday! Woohoo! It's a great program, just remember it's ok to go at your own pace & don't run yourself ragged... it really is a training program for non-runners, so take your time and teach your body how to run! =)
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!
    I am Sherri and I live in Wisconsin. I started C25K earlier this year at around 250lbs. I was just finishing up week 8 when I had to have a hysterectomy and was unable to exercise for 6 weeks. I have been meaning to restart the program for several weeks now and just was unable to get motivated.

I finally got off my butt, got the dog on her leash and restarted it tonight!

From my experience the first time through, C25K is a GREAT way to jump start your fat burning and weight loss. Even weeks that I wasn't seeing a loss on the scale I was seeing loss in inches. I went down 2 pants sizes in less than 2 months!
    I am looking forward to actually completing it this time!! Feel free to friend me if you like.
  • dsengel01
    dsengel01 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Sherri also, I'm 41 and live in Michigan. I did my first run last night and have to say it wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it would be. I'm using the RunDouble app on my Droid. I'm 41 and have @ 30-40 lbs to lose. I plan on doing this and JM's videos. My run schedule will be Sun/Tues/Thurs and I have a 5k that I'd like to sign up for at the end of September.

Good luck everybody!!!
  • stepher80
    stepher80 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Stephanie, I'm 31 (turning 32 in October...yikes!) and have two kids. I'm actually already on week 3. I've been wanting to find an accountability group for the C25K running program since I don't have anyone to go with me to the gym. I'm loving it so far and week 3 is kicking my butt! My goal is to lose around 50 lbs. I've lost 11 so far and it has been the hardest 11 pounds to lose in my life! My goal is to run a 5k this fall here in Fort Worth, TX. After I achieve that, I want to go on to training for a 10k and then maybe a half marathon. I was a great athlete in high school and played basketball and soccer. I hate that now I can barely do the three minutes of straight jogging for week 3. So I want to get to where being active is a lifestyle for me and not just a passing fad. Glad to be a part of this group!
  • amitybs
    amitybs Posts: 35
    Options
    Hi everyone! My name is Amity and I'm 37 years young, I still have about 60 lbs I'd like to lose. Never been a runner but my cardio is slowly getting better and I want to kick it into high gear! Really wanting to do the Warrior Dash next September (I have a feeling this Sept. is a bit too close) and I want to actually compete! We have a few local 5 k's that I want to run next year as well so I'm hoping this will get me motivated. So glad to have the support of so many people!
  • gemwit
    gemwit Posts: 6
    Options
    I loved reading through everyone's motivations for starting C25K and their plans. I hope every one of you is still here and finishing strong in October! If you need encouragement, friend me and I'll cheer you on.

I'm Julia, 29, homemaker and mother of two, 5 years old and 3 months old. We live in NJ with miles of canal paths, nature preserves, and hiking opportunities right out my back door. I want to enjoy them and spend more time using them and running seems to be a fabled, often -touted means of getting out there.

I started running two years ago when my husband challenged me to run a marathon before I turn 30. I got three months into training... and found out I have a congenital heart valve defect! I got freaked out about fitness after that and stopped doing anything at all, but that's no way to live. My cardiologist has cleared me for moderate exercise, so time and endurance will never be my goals, but there is no real reason I can't be a healthy jogger.

Best of luck to you all!
  • thebuz
    thebuz Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

38 in Vancouver and never been a runner at all. Going to try and do this program for the first time using this group to hold me accountable. I have degenerative arthritis in my knee but hoping to strengthen it using this program. I'll be using the c25K app that starts with 30 second runs and 4 minute 30 second walks... hopefully I'm not too much of a beginner for this program. Everyone else seems to be more seasoned.
  • Overboard_Eater
    Overboard_Eater Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hello All - I started week 1 day 1 with my 13 year old yesterday. She wanted to quit in the first minute but she pressed through and admitted it felt good after. We even were able to "race" after the walking cool down and she beat me! Not sure our schedule will be yet but it will be at least one weekend day.

I have been more active in the last 7 weeks than I had been in my whole life (38 yr old). I want to teach my daughter that being active makes you feel better not worse. I have promised to buy the family an iPad if she completes this program with me and we do a 5K together. My husband (her stepfather) is an avid runner completing marathons now. He has inspired us.

Looking forward to the support on here and the tips everyone will have. We can do it!!
  • rottiegirl22
    rottiegirl22 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Great to read everyone's introductions! I'm Erin, 36 years old, work full time, and have a 5 year old daughter. I did my first 5K 2 years ago by completing the c25k program at my local YMCA. I hated every minute of the running, but I loved how I felt with the accomplishment, how great I looked, and how healthy I felt. Unfortunately, every time I ran my feet went numb and I would nearly pee my pants. (yeay for kids making your bladder weak). After finally admitting to a podiatrist that my feet were giving me a hard time earlier this year and finding out I have weird bones and need special shoes, I'm finally ready to restart the c25k and give it a whirl. I start the official class at the Y on Aug 27th and the 5K is at the end of Oct/early Nov. I can't remember the exact date. But, it is the exact same course I initially ran in 42 minutes, so my goal is to beat my last time.

And my future goal, is to run a Warrior Dash in 2013, and would really love to do a Color Me Radd if one comes close enough to me. Fingers crossed.

I also play on a softball team with practices twice a week and games once a week, and I will be adding in some strength training and personal training sessions to help keep me motivated.

Remember, we're already miles ahead of everyone still sitting on the couch!
  • TXCC
    TXCC Posts: 56
    Options
    Hi! I'm Carla. I'm 46 and on my 4th try of Week 4 of the C25K program. LOL - I just can't get past that 5 min run. Actually I did complete that week a few of weeks ago but then I missed a couple of weeks (long story). I got out there this morning and couldn't make it. So, here I am again trying to complete week 4. I will be running in the Color Me Rad 5K on September 8. I can't wait. It looks like so much fun. Excited to find this group!
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess I am the old lady of the group...I will be 65 in December. I have COPD and Rheaumatoid Arthritis but I want to be a runner. Up until 7 months ago I was very much an overweight (248lbs.) couch potato, then I decided to get off my duff, lose weight and get fit. I discovered MFP in January and I love it. I've been at a plateau for 6 weeks now so I am hoping the C25K will help me to bust out of it.

I completed Week 2 Day 1 this afternoon and found it not too difficult. So remember, when you feel like it is too hard and you just want to give up, if this old broad can do it...so can you! :laugh: Good luck to all and I look forward to hearing about your experiences with the program! :drinker: :flowerforyou:

Cheers, Carole
  • amomatt
    amomatt Posts: 41
    Options
    I'm 41, mother of 3 and I HATE running! I'm currently on week 3 and I'm doing this because I know running is good for burning calories and I want to be fitter. I like a challenge so that's why I'm determined to finish this, even if I never actually enter a 5km run I'd like to be able to know that I CAN run that far
  • cklbc82
    cklbc82 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I am Chris(tine) from Michigan, I am 30, and I have a 4 month old. I have always wanted to be a runner. I ran my first 5k last year (2011) and I didn't do so hot, I was really bad with being consistent and doing the runs so I ended up walking most of it. I am not using the C25k program, I hated that one when I started and quit it several times when I was in highschool so I am doing one I found in Getting Real about Running. week 1 is 4:30 minutes walking and :30s running repeat 4 times, after that you just subtract 30s from walking and add it to running for 9 weeks until you are running 20m straight @ week 9. After this I will see where I want to go. I downloaded "A HIIT Interval Trainer" from Android marketplace and entered my runs for each week there. It was a free app. I am hoping to do some kettlebell workouts as well/or the Max Capacity Training on off days. MCT has a free app too. We shall See. Thanks for the place to read about other people running, I think it will be a great inspiration and motivation to hear others talk about their struggles and triumphs while running.
  • Pink_Tina
    Pink_Tina Posts: 164
    Options
    Hi. I'm 32, hate running, and just started the C25K program July 31st, because I power-walked a 5k in June and would like to actually run one. I just finished day 2 of the program today. I use the phone app and run outside. It's nice to meet you all. :)
  • ktb1962
    ktb1962 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm Kate, 49 turning 50 in September. I completed the program the first time back in late 2010 having never run before and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Life got in the way and I ended up stopping after a couple of 5k races. I decided I wanted to do this again as a birthday present to myself to prove I can still do it so I just started again on Sunday (7/30). I completed week 1 yesterday. My time and endurance are not where they were, but I am determined to get there again!
  • LoNCole
    LoNCole Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Lauren, 28 and momma of two boys. I have never been a runner but have been told cardio is the only way for me to lose these final stubborn baby pounds. So I just finished the first week of c25k and I feel great but would love some support. No plans to run a 5k yet but am looking forward to not hesitating to sign up for one once I finish!
  • mdelappe
    mdelappe Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Myla! I am turning 50 this year! I started the c25k 3 weeks ago and feel really good about making it the 3 minutes this week! Every year my friends and I participate in the Jingle Bell Run for arthritis - walking. This year we decided we would run the 5K, I am going to be so ready!
  • MGMum
    MGMum Posts: 29
    Options
    I'm Bev, 46 years old, mother of two boys ages 10 and 7). I started the program because my 10 year old wanted to run a 5k that our friend is puttiing on. I thought, Man! I'd better learn to run, I've never been a runner. As it turns out, he has an early bird hockey tournament the weekend of that 5k, so we'll probably do the Terry Fox run the weekend before. I work 12 hour shifts, but figure on my days off I can easily fit the runs in and if I wake up early enough, I can do a half hour run before work.

So far it's been going quite well even though my creaky knees bother me when I'm not jogging. I don't need to lose any weight but wanted to be more fit and healthy. I'm also doing the 30 Day Shred on days I'm not doing the C25K, though today I did both and it didn't kill me, so maybe I'll just do the 30 Day Shred daily like I'm supposed to. :)

Glad to have found this group.