Off season training

Options
RaeN81
RaeN81 Posts: 535 Member
For me, the season has just ended because I live in a colder climate :( So, what do you do in the off season? I am thinking about starting a weight training program. My sister in law who is a physiotherapist may help me out with creating one that will help me improve my power and speed for swimming, biking and running. Until then, what kinds of things do you do? Do you stick with swimming, biking and running three to four times a week or throw something else in? Do you cross country ski or something else that you find helps? I am hoping to see a 10% increase in speed for next season so I see speedwork in my future....I am already in the process of picking next year's races--this sport is habit forming!

Replies

• bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Personally, I run more in the off season. Last year, I built from a 5K to a half marathon in the off season and did 2 half marathons. I'll be running more this off season as well. I genuinely love love love the race atmosphere, so my off season choice is really driven by my desire to keep racing when there aren't any tris. My times in the run in the tri this year were a lot lower and I knew I had the finishing power for the run in my tris after doing 13.1!

I plan to do strength training a lot more this season too. I tend to be a baby about cold weather (I'm a true Southerner, what can I say?) so I especially hate biking in it. I don't have a trainer yet either, so honestly, the bike goes on the back burner from November to February (bad, I know!).
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Depending on how serious you are about getting better its a good time to address your weaknesses plus it's running season. If the bike is your weakness get a trainer and go to town, if running is your weakness buy some cold weather gear and hit the road or get a gym membership and hit the treadmill. I may be looking at swim lessons because 2.4 miles of swimming come May of next year is going to suck. I try to lift year round in some form or fashion so the winter I pretty much just move to a power lifter routine.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I do most of my lifting during the off season. Once the snow comes and the roads get lousy, all my riding is indoors on my trainer. I do continue to run outside though. Swimming, obviously, is only in the pool.

But my off season focus is on building strength.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    More running - half marathon training. I also do strength training 3 days per week, sprints and plyos once per week, and spin class a couple times a week.
  • Canuck_TriFit
    Canuck_TriFit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Once my season ends on September 8th I'll definitely be going without the 2 a day workouts until January. Probably run 2 times a week. Spin class once a week. Swimming 2-3 times a week. Weight training probably 3 times a week. That looks like there might be a couple of double workout days LOL. If I don't run I'll do some other form of cardio exercise like Insanity.
  • EnduranceGirl2
    EnduranceGirl2 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to train for my first half-marathon in October. I also hit the elliptical trainer for 60-90 min at very high resistance once a week or so. This seems to be good training for rolling hills and my summer hikes in the mountains. 10-15 minutes of core and upper body work 2-3 times/week has also been helpful.
  • kurting81
    kurting81 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I believe the off season is great for cross training and doing some things that you maybe don't have time to do in season. With that said it's important to still keep up a good regimen of swimming, biking, and running. Now is the time to do more zones 1-2 (less intensity) to build that base during the off season.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I have Ironman Texas in May of next year so a lot of this offseason will be spent getting my body ready for the beating that is IM training.
  • 007bondage
    007bondage Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Spring here :) But I usually try to do more HIIT training during the week, and maintain longer rides / runs (offroad) on weekends over Winter.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    I just started training for a tri next summer, but this winter I plan on using my indoor bike trainer more frequently, and running outside no matter what. But I'm realistic, and live near Chicago. When it's stupid cold outside, or snowing like mad, no running for me. I plan on joining the YMCA in march for my swim training.