Will I gain all the weight if I am off Atikins?

Options
moechi
moechi Posts: 18 Member
I have heard that people gain all the weight they lost and even couple MORE, if they're off Atkins. Is this true?

Replies

• dovek11
    dovek11 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    That would depend on what you mean by 'off Atkins'.

If you resume the old eating habits that caused you to gain weight in the first place, then yes, of course it will cause you to gain your weight back, and likely plus more.

If you mean that you want to try another way of eating for weight loss, then it would depend upon your body. You might initially gain a few pounds going back to eating more carbs. Those pounds would likely be from fluid retention, not fat. CarboHYDRATES Get that ....HYDRATE? Right in the name it tells you that a carb is going to cause water retention! When your body adjusts to living with a higher carb count, you should drop some of that weight again, but you won't drop it all. So long as you are eating more carbs, you WILL be retaining more water than on a low carb diet. The carbs just do that to you.

But you shouldn't regain all weight lost, if you watch your limitations of your diet.... like watching calories.
    UNLESS..... your body prefers the low carb, high fat way of eating. Personally, for me, clearly my body does better eating this way. I need less sleep, have oodles of energy, never have a headache, never feel bloated and miserable. But thats just me. You might be different, and I am not going to preach to you. There is no one diet right for everyone, no matter what people here might say. Listen to your body and follow its lead.
  • moechi
    moechi Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was in induction for 1 week last week and felt that it really doesn't work for me. I hate meat and dairy and love veggies/fruits too much. So I practically live on tuna can for one week.
    Now, I am increasing my carb to less than 100, by including fruits, much more veggies, and oatmeal.
    Do you think this is bad?
  • mycatbutters
    mycatbutters Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You might look into the South Beach diet. I have friends who have had great success following that lifestyle. I believe it uses more carbs initially than Atkins.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Most people go on a diet, loose weight , stop paying attention to their diet and then gain it all back plus more. Nothing specific about Atkins. You can say that about ANY diet. That is why so many people are overweight.

If you got fat on Diet A, list weight on Diet B and then go back to Diet A, guess what? You'll get fat again. This is what happens to most people. ON ANY DIET.

Now , specific to your question about Low Carb and Atkins.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LowcarbNY/view/the-science-behind-rapid-weight-loss-during-the-1st-week-or-so-of-low-carb-i-e-induction-and-why-it-eventually-slows-down-348757