Cardio & Lifting on same days?

Options
barbcouperus
barbcouperus Posts: 49 Member
I'm finding that I am not having enough days in the week to get all the lifitng and cardio in that I want AND incorporate some rest days. I am training for a 5K obstacle race, so I can't let go of the 3 days per week that I am running. I do a kickboxing class once a week (which I can't decide is supposed to be a cardio workout, a strength workout or both??), I'd like to lift at least 3 days a week as well. Oh and I'm not forgetting that I'd like to rest my body 2 days a week too. So...here is my question...if I do my runs on M/W/F, can I also lift on the cardio days? Does it matter? thoughts?
thanks!

Replies

• littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    When I first began weight-lifting, I was able to put a cardio session on the same day. But as time went on and I became more focused on my weight-lifting, (and was lifting heavier) I found that I could not put a cardio on the same day. For the simple fact that I was beat after my weight session and also that I wasn't feeling rested enough when it came time to do my next weight session. So I had to take the cardio back out. Now I don't do much cardio at all. Hope this helps. I'm thinking you just need to pick your priorities for the time you have so as that you have the energy to give it your all.
  • kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    While I'm still testing to see what works for me and my schedule...and my body... I'm finding that I'm liking to lift,run,rest repeat the most. I think for you it depends on how much running you're talking about and what body parts you'll be working when lifting. If your body can handle both on the same day I don't see a problem with it.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend lifting and running on the same day because each of those workouts will suffer. I'd say drop the kick-boxing, run 3x and lift 3x, with 1 rest day. If you want 2 rest days and running is your priority, then only lift 2x/wk.
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same conflict, so many things that I want to do and incorporate in my routine and not enough days in the week. I've been restricting my cardio on lifting days to 20 minutes (10 warm up and 10 after) in intervals. I used to do more cardio in the same lifting days, but after a while I would be feeling tired on a daily basis.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    What the others have said.

I'm just incorporating cardio back into my workouts this week because I finally got a treadmill (yay!) I do 15-20 minutes cardio on lift days for warm up and cool down only. I started Couch to 5K yesterday, so I'm going to do 35-45 minutes of cardio on non lifting days with one rest day per week. I don't want my lifting to suffer because of my running, so I will see what happens.
  • azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend lifting and running on the same day because each of those workouts will suffer. I'd say drop the kick-boxing, run 3x and lift 3x, with 1 rest day. If you want 2 rest days and running is your priority, then only lift 2x/wk.

^^This.
  • barbcouperus
    Options
    so even if my lifting routines are all upper body and not lower body? I really don't want to give up the kickboxing (it's a great stress relief to hit that bag!) I've been reading online and there are some convincing articles saying it can actually help if you do weights after a cardio session on the same day (but not vice versa), with the post workout calorie burn and may be more effective for fat burning...
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    There are lots of schools of thought on cardio + weight training. I follow NROLFW school of thought that your muscles need time to repair and it isn't a good idea to do significant cardio workouts on lift days. I personally find that with lifting heavy I cannot do cardio before because I'm too exhausted to get a good lifting routine in. On days where I have enough food and enough sleep I can do HIIT for about 10-15 after lifting (I do that because I like getting my heart rate up, sweating a little more, and it helps with DOMS), but lately I've been too exhausted from lifting to do that. I lift heavy using compound movements 3 days/week and run 2x/week. I used to try to fit volleyball in once a week, but had to drop a lifting session to do it.

I recommend picking things that you love and focus on that and then change your routine every 6-8 weeks to 'rotate' your favorite things. Don't try to do it all or you will end up over-training with possible injuries. If the running is important now and you love kick-boxing, but want 2 days of rest, then you are going to have to give up the weight training. As your running season/training slows down, then add in the weight training. And with lifting you really should train for your whole body, not just upper body. Training my butt/legs/core/back has helped tremendously with upper body strength.
  • barbcouperus
    Options
    There are lots of schools of thought on cardio + weight training. I follow NROLFW school of thought that your muscles need time to repair and it isn't a good idea to do significant cardio workouts on lift days. I personally find that with lifting heavy I cannot do cardio before because I'm too exhausted to get a good lifting routine in. On days where I have enough food and enough sleep I can do HIIT for about 10-15 after lifting (I do that because I like getting my heart rate up, sweating a little more, and it helps with DOMS), but lately I've been too exhausted from lifting to do that. I lift heavy using compound movements 3 days/week and run 2x/week. I used to try to fit volleyball in once a week, but had to drop a lifting session to do it.

I recommend picking things that you love and focus on that and then change your routine every 6-8 weeks to 'rotate' your favorite things. Don't try to do it all or you will end up over-training with possible injuries. If the running is important now and you love kick-boxing, but want 2 days of rest, then you are going to have to give up the weight training. As your running season/training slows down, then add in the weight training. And with lifting you really should train for your whole body, not just upper body. Training my butt/legs/core/back has helped tremendously with upper body strength.
    thanks so much!
  • BlondieBride
    BlondieBride Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am a Personal Trainer so thought I should chime in. You can do weight lifting and cardio on the same day, but if that is the case you are better to do cardio in the morning and weights at night OR cardio AFTER your weights session. This allows you to put all your energy into your weights and allows you to burn fat with cardio after weight training.
  • Mistymath
    Mistymath Posts: 146 Member
    Options

I agree with this. You could also do this until your race is finished and readjust your schedule after that.