Night time compulsive eating

Options
So my downfall is dinner time, I can have a great balanced food day until about 6:00 and then when I'm home after work my compulsive eating kicks in. Anyone have suggestions on how to kick this habit? I've tried substituting activities like cleaning my apartment or organizing my bookcase but nothing seems to distract me long enough...

Replies

• Learn2BFit
    Learn2BFit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Nighttime...AFTER dinner, is my hardest time, too! Lately, I've been trying to log on and check out message boards or write a short post...my MFP friends have been great about responding quickly to give me some support. Once it's put out there and somebody responds, it just seems to give me the extra edge I need to stay out of the pantry, like I don't want to let other people OR myself down after they've been nice enough to reach out and encourage me! Add me, if you like!
  • HealthyDivans
    HealthyDivans Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When i get home from work i usually look for something to eat before dinner and it's usually not healthy. Or else i am too tired to make dinner for a whilte and will snack and then by the time i eat dinner it's 7:30-8pm. Thinking up ways to curb my snacking at home. Maybe cutting up raw vegetables will help-i am starting to see that planning meals is the key that way i dont want to snack as much. I live on my own and some nights i don't feel like cooking dinner. What do you think is a good cut off time for eating at night? I was thinking 7 or 8pm?
  • rousek44244
    Options
    I think the general rule for "cut-off time" in regards to eating is 2 hours before you go to sleep, so depending on your bed time 7 or 8 would probably work. I also live alone, so there is no one to hold me accountable when I sit on the couch and snack on stuff I really don't need. Maybe a meal plan is the way to go, just start planning everything 1 day in advance... I just have to be able to stick to what I say I'm supposed to do...
  • kathyanne07
    kathyanne07 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the same thing - after my girls go to bed and I am trying to wind down and relax before going to bed - it's habit to eat. It seems that no matter how hard I try I seem to give in to eating something. I have started saving calories or trying to exercise a little extra to allow for that snack I know I am going to eat. I still try to not eat but at least I don't beat myself up over it if I have saved those calories. When I beat myself up over a wrong choice it tends to throw me into overeating.
  • skellyness
    skellyness Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm always worst past 6pm - I work out, then distract myself with things like browsing MFP and stay well away from the kitchen lol
  • Erin70CA
    Erin70CA Posts: 85
    Options
    I am the same way. I might try writing a blog to distract myself. If chatting were an option with MFP I would suggest all us night time compulsive eaters chat as a distraction. I know if I eat something starchy or salty I really give in. It is so tough to change bad habits.
  • SuperNana1
    Options
    i WORK UNTIL MIDNIGHT SO I SLEEP IN. I DO NOT EAT ANYTHING UNTIL AFTER GOING TO WORK AT 1:00 P.M. I EAT SOMETHING HEALTHY AND AROUND 6 OR 7 I HAVE DINNER. I'M GOOD UNTIL 10:00 P.M. THEN I TRY TO HAVE A HEALTHY SNACK. I LEAVE WORK AT MIDNIGHT AND CAN'T GET TO SLEEP UNTIL 3:00 OR 4:00 AM. THE HOUSE IS QUIET WHILE HUBBY SLEEPS. I'M TOO TIRED TO DO MUCH ELSE SO I SIT AND READ ---- AND EAT. I CANNOT SEEM TO BREAK THE HABIT. ANY IDEAS? I CAN'T EAT WHEN I GET UP AS IT ALWAYS SEEMS TO MAKE ME NAUSEAS.
  • hockeymama1963
    hockeymama1963 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love staying up and reading but I want to eat so I mix up a pitcher of crystal lite Mojito or Appletini drink mix- yummy and 5 calories a serving. I drink it in a martini glass with a sprig of mint or a slice of lime. No one in the house is allowed to drink my Mojito or Appletini ( no alcohol involved)
  • tsjourney
    tsjourney Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I love staying up and reading but I want to eat so I mix up a pitcher of crystal lite Mojito or Appletini drink mix- yummy and 5 calories a serving. I drink it in a martini glass with a sprig of mint or a slice of lime. No one in the house is allowed to drink my Mojito or Appletini ( no alcohol involved)

Love it!!!!
  • tsjourney
    tsjourney Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have always had the same problem. I try really hard not to eat after 8 pm. If I do, I try to eat cherries, sometimes dry cereal. I used to eat airpopped popcorn but stopped due to the amount of salt I put on it :-). My problem lately is conflict with my oldest son and when I get home I just don't even want to be in the kitchen or house for that matter and have been doing drive thru (the worst thing I could do). I am ok throughout the day, plan my lunches for work, etc. I plan dinners but never know what I am going to face when I get home and it all goes out the window... I know the solution to my problem is to resolve the conflict and kick him out but as with most things, it is complicated. I tend to turn to food. Reaching out to MFPs helps as well.
  • SherJonesy
    Options
    I have that problem, this is my first night that I'm (hopefully) not eating after dinner...
    All I can do is sit here and think about what I could be eating right now...
    I love eating plain popcorn, but I'll eat bowl after bowl until it's finally time to go to bed... And all of that saltiness usually has to be followed by something sweet, so I've noticed my toddler's supply of "reward candy" M&M's slowly disappearing...
    grr
  • chizumlassstar
    chizumlassstar Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I have had the same problem in the past and still struggle with it almost every night but here are a few pointers. First off let me tell you that I work 2nd shift so my times are going to be a little off so adjust accordingly. I get off work at 11:30pm, walk in the door and within 10 minutes I am working out. Some nights I do a 20 minute kick-boxing dvd, other nights I have 2 different 40 minute jillian circuit training videos I do. No matter which one I pick I work REALLY hard during the workout. Afterwords I usually log all my food and exercise for the day while cooling down. Then I hop in the shower to wash the sweat away. After and only after I have logged all my food for the day do I decide if I should have a snack or not. By this time I have that endorphin high that makes you feel so good and I remember this feeling before I snack. I say "do you need to eat it, or do you want to eat it?" I know it's easier said than done. My coworker and I came up with a saying. Food is for nutrition, not as a reward or for happiness. I'm still getting my brain/mouth/stomach on the same track so here is a tip for snacking, instead of taking the whole bag of chips(of cookies or whatever) to the couch with you, look at the nutrition facts and see how much a serving is and how many calorie it is, then take ONE serving. Eat it, enjoy it. If when you are done, you truly want more, get up and get another serving. By doing this you are eliminating mindless eating. By having to get up and physically get each serving, you won't be able to keep putting your hand in the bag and pulling out a never ending supply of oral entertainment. ( I know that sounds dirty, I don't mean it to but hey, that's what it is). Another tip that I got out of a book, (can't remember which one), if possible, when you are done eating for the day, STAY OUT OF THE KITCHEN!! If you have an open concept arrangement like I do, its hard. But try to stay away from there because its just to easy to open the cupboard and grab and go.

On another night, I need some advice. I have the whole eating before I sleep thing pretty much under control, but I will wake up in the night just craving something like mad and won't be able to decide what it is. So while I'm still pretty much half asleep I get up and eat a bowl of sugary cereal or something just as awful. I don't know what triggers these binges but could really use some advice. It has been a while since this has happened so maybe I beat it but if anybody has any suggestions I'm definately open to them.

Thank you, and remember, we are human and we make mistakes but we have to remember that we are doing this not for someone else or to impress other people, but for the most important person in the world, YOU. And you deserve the best!!
  • areufnkiddingme
    areufnkiddingme Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of times, night time eating is caused by the long pause between lunch and dinner- sometimes people go as long as 6 or 7 hours before they're even able to start cooking! I try to adjust my meal times on days when I know I have a lot to do between those times so that it cuts down on the pre-dinner graze.
  • mamo1014
    mamo1014 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with late night eating. I'm repeating alot of you, but I'm good in the morning, ok at lunch and then down the drain at night. However, tonight I actually did not get my usual $2.40 KFC special chicken fried steak with sides. I donated blood and I knew I was supposed to eat a good meal afterwards. I was in the long drive-thru line and I told myself, " you're not hungry!...get out of this line". And I did. As I type this, I'm still not hungry but this little voice inside my head is telling me I didn't eat...OMG...how can I do that? Me? Skip a meal? Heaven forbid!!!