Trouble Sleeping

Options
perfect10isha
perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
I feel like I've been posting on here alot lately, but this is the only place I can come to when I have questions regarding lifting, so please bare with me and all my newbie confusions, questions, wonderings, and ramblings.

I'm in stage 1 currently just finished doing my 3/10 for workout A/B, so I'll be moving on to 3/8. My question is, since I started doing the 3/10 and of course upping my weight I've had trouble sleeping. I'm usually a pretty sound sleeper, but the last week or so, I've been waking up multiple times during the night, tossing and turning, my body still feels revved up to a certain degree (and I work out at like 2pm). I saw on a thread that exhaustion, which I've definately been feeling and trouble sleeping can be signs of overtraining. I'm pretty sure I"m eating enough, 1990-2200 cals a day, so could it be that I'm doing "too much" when I'm lifting??

Is it possible to overtrain with NROLW? Yes, I push myself in my workouts; however, if I'm struggling I have no qualms about dialing it back a notch or two. But I do at least attempt to increase my weight each week. Could it be that I'm increasing my weight too fast? Is that even possible?

FTR I'm not doing any cardio, and I work a desk job so my days off I don't do anything strenuous. My life at the moment is not stressful or anything... but it is SUPER annoying to have my 7 month old start sleeping through the night consistently and I'm still not getting a good nights rest. I'm 5'6" and 140 lbs, 32 years old.

Replies

• TeslaJoule
    TeslaJoule Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Not sure what the answer is but I'm in a similar boat and would love to hear any answers! Hang in there!
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I am a restless sleeper, I take ZMA to help me sleep deeper. They won't help you fall asleep but help you get a deeper sleep to help with all the repairing your body has to do at night. It says take 30-40mins before sleep but I normally take about an hour before as it can cause some crazy dreams, I find I sleep through the night now much better without the awaking every hour or so :)
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I"m eating enough, 1990-2200 cals a day,

You are awesome for eating! ;)

I don't think you are overtraining, however it could be anything really. You are only working out every other day? You have a 7 month old, perhaps it is hormonal or are you getting anything with caffeine during the day?
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Have you tried working out earlier in the day?
  • TheGsMama
    TheGsMama Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I would say your body is probably just regulating from the 7 month old sleeping through. I always had an adjustment period when my kids started sleeping through. My body was all confused. Melatonin is my sleep drug of choice. Maybe try that, it should be fine for breastfeeding if you are.
  • perfect10isha
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I"m eating enough, 1990-2200 cals a day,

You are awesome for eating! ;)

I don't think you are overtraining, however it could be anything really. You are only working out every other day? You have a 7 month old, perhaps it is hormonal or are you getting anything with caffeine during the day?

Thanks, I <3 food and I like how I feel when I'm well nourished!

I don't think I get any caffeine throughout the day. Should I consider drinking some tea or something to have some caffeine in my diet? Will caffeine only help withe exhaustion or does it wield some other magical powers as well?

It could definately be my hormones because I'm pretty sure my hair is still falling out, not noticeably because it has slowed down, but I'm pretty sure it's still shedding. Maybe I should consider looking into some type of sleep aid, because this momma definately can't afford to lose out on any precious sleep I"m afforded with a toddler and a newborn at home.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    If you're following the program exactly it isn't overtraining that's causing your sleep troubles. If your form is good, you should increase the amount of weight you're lifting as often as you can. You'll need to look elsewhere to find the culprit.

Lifestyle factors?
    Environmental factors?
    Psychological factors?
    Health/Diet factors?
  • perfect10isha
    Options
    ^^^ Thanks @bizco, I think I needed a little reassurance that I'm doing this right (as far as the program goes). I guess it may be time for a life assessment, lol.
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    What concerns me is that your hair is falling out. Are you sure you are eating enough? It sounds like you are training hard. Maybe you need to take another look at your calorie intake. This could all be related to sleeping???
  • perfect10isha
    Options
    What concerns me is that your hair is falling out. Are you sure you are eating enough? It sounds like you are training hard. Maybe you need to take another look at your calorie intake. This could all be related to sleeping???

I'm pretty sure my hair is still shedding from hormones ( I gave birth to my second in January of this year). Since I have been maintaining my weight at 1900-2200 cals I may try upping them for the last two weeks of stage 1 to see if that makes any difference. I don't have trouble sleeping every night, it typically happens on days I workout. Last night I slept wonderfully. Today is workout day so I'll try eating more and see how I sleep tonight.
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure my hair is still shedding from hormones ( I gave birth to my second in January of this year). Since I have been maintaining my weight at 1900-2200 cals I may try upping them for the last two weeks of stage 1 to see if that makes any difference. I don't have trouble sleeping every night, it typically happens on days I workout. Last night I slept wonderfully. Today is workout day so I'll try eating more and see how I sleep tonight.

I would guess the hair falling out is definitely hormones postpartum. I didn't believe it would happen to me (hair fall out after child birth? Nonsense!). Lo and behold, 6 months later I was shedding like a dog.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I went through a phase in Stage 1 that I could not sleep. I was exhausted during the day, but would lay awake at night. I found that melatonin really helped (it can give you crazy dreams too). I took it for about a week and it seemed my body adjusted and now I no longer need it. Sounds like you've got a few factorsf that could be throwing you're body off a little.
    FWIW, my baby is 13 months and my hair has finally stopped falling out.