Hi

porffor
porffor Posts: 1,210 Member
I have been lurking for a few days, but thought I'd pop in and say hi.
I'm weight training and training to compete in a 'single lift' competition in December. I have the option of literally a single lift, or to do the three (deadlift, bench press and squat) with the total of the two highest being my overall score.

I am currently only benching a lowely 25kg, squatting 50kg and deadlifting 50kg but have not added a belt or wraps yet. My left elbow does feel like it 'needs' a bit of support and I'm working on my grip and strength in my left arm.

Also have just found a training buddy who is experienced in power lifting and strong woman, so is going to help me formulate a training plan and keep me up to scratch. Thursday is our first training session together (deadlift).

so. that's me.. hopefully I'll be able to get lots of good tips and look back on a success in December, not in winning necessarily but in taking part.

Replies

• if you are training all three, might as well compete in all three. Enjoy it it will be fun. It is you against yourself...
    not sure exactly what is going on with you're elbow, but maybe try a sleeve or a tendonituis strap. Though this depends on the problem.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    if you are training all three, might as well compete in all three. Enjoy it it will be fun. It is you against yourself...
    not sure exactly what is going on with you're elbow, but maybe try a sleeve or a tendonituis strap. Though this depends on the problem.

agree.

the elbow issue could be some form of tendonitis. have someone look at your form. When I was squatting wrong, it was leading to tendonitis in my biceps, which led to elbow pain while benching.

do all three lifts and have fun.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Hello!

Do them all definately. If you just did one, you'd end up wanting to do the others on the day.
  • porffor
    Thanks - yeah think I'll get a light strapping for my elbow, it just kind of feels a bit 'clicky' when I'm lifting or pulling a cable machine etc. Hard to explain, no pain but not same as my right.

Am training for the three, and it'll be a document of my lifting ability in December and to be improved on in 2013 hopefully.
  • Thanks - yeah think I'll get a light strapping for my elbow, it just kind of feels a bit 'clicky' when I'm lifting or pulling a cable machine etc. Hard to explain, no pain but not same as my right.

Am training for the three, and it'll be a document of my lifting ability in December and to be improved on in 2013 hopefully.

Before you start wrapping things, make sure your form is right on. Once you start wrapping, you'll never be able to stop. Makes sense to go as long as you can before you start relying on things like that. If you've had some sort of injury that you can relate the pain to, that's a different story, of course. But if you have no reason to believe your elbow (or hip or whatever) is particularly compromised, maybe drop the weight a bit, focus on your form, and then start working your way back up.

As far as programs go, you may want to consider 5x5. It's very straight forward and easy to follow - there's even android and iphone apps for it. (Then you'll get dragged into the 'what's better, 5x5 or Starting Strength argument, but that's part of the fun.:)
  • porffor
    lol at the argument of 5x5 / starting strength. I have both ebooks on my computer - just need time to finish them both. I have been doing 5x5 lifts, but push, pull, legs routines for 3 x a week training. Only just moved gyms for full free weights.

My elbow is not pain, but more weakness, might improve as my strength does. Am working on press on Sunday with a friend who's a powerlifter.

Thanks for the wrapping advice, will aim to leave it as it is for a bit and see how things go. :) Improving my left arm is helping.

We did a session on deadlift tonight, I am using the form allowed by strongest women events, but not powerlifting events, so am going to work on this. But hit a PB 1 rep of 70kg tonight at the end of all my working sets. Really pleased overall. Just got work to do! lol
  • pwrlftr30
    pwrlftr30 Posts: 5 Member
    Hi! My name is Rachel. I was on here previously as 'rabetts', but I felt like I had to start over. I've only been lifting for about a year. My last meet my lifts were 120 squat, 120 bench, 250 deadlift (pounds). It's good to be back, feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • porffor
    Hi! My name is Rachel. I was on here previously as 'rabetts', but I felt like I had to start over. I've only been lifting for about a year. My last meet my lifts were 120 squat, 120 bench, 250 deadlift (pounds). It's good to be back, feel free to add me as a friend :)
    Fantastic numbers you're pulling :) Well done!
    off to add you now.