Strength training and C25K

Options
I ran cross country in high school and trained for some difficult 10K courses four years ago, but fell off the healthy living bandwagon after I got married and didn't have to fit in a wedding dress anymore. I gained 35 pounds and finally decided it was time to do something. In high school I could go from running zero miles to five in a week, but now that I'm 27, and a whole lot heavier, I needed the C25K program to build up my endurance.

When I started I could barely make it through the first week. My legs were just too weak. So I started strength training two to three times a week to strengthen my muscles. Now I just completed the W5D1 workout on a hilly route in the heat last night and felt like I could have run longer and farther when I was finished. It was a great feeling.

The change came about a week ago. All of a sudden it was easier to run and I was able to keep up a pace that was faster than I ran in high school. I'm also down two pants sizes and have lost close to 10 pounds since I started working out again.

I tried to get in shape about a year ago and tried the C25K then too, but I wasn't strength training. I didn't make it past the second week. I absolutely believe that lifting weights and strengthening my muscles is the difference that has helped me be successful this time around.

Replies

• rgarli905
    Options
    Could you give me some ideas of the kinds of programme of strength training you are following?
  • SSoebbing85
    Options
    I usually lift two to three times a week, alternating between legs and arms/chest/back. I do abs every day. Here's a typical legs workout:

(All exercises are three sets of 12 with 30 seconds of rest in between sets)
    Squats 115 lbs
    Split squats (similar to lunges but done with a bar and in place) 95 lbs
    Deadlift 45 lbs
    Leg extension 55 lbs
    Leg curl 45 to 55 lbs
    Seated calf raise 80 lbs

Here's a link that explains the different exercises: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_weight_training_exercises

After I lift, I do my C25K workout for the day, then spend about 15 to 20 minutes working my core. A strong core will also help your running and help prevent injury.

One disclaimer, I did not start out at these weight levels. So you might want to start out at a lower weight. I usually increase weight by five to 10 pounds whenever an exercise starts to get easy.

The first time you do this routine, you will be very sore the next day. That's just what happens when your muscles rebuild themselves and it's a good thing. If you're not sore, then it means you could have worked harder. But that said, you should feel a good burn, not stabbing pain. If you have stabbing pain, take it easy for a few days and pay attention to your form the next time you lift.

Doing 30 minutes of cardio after you lift AND the next day will help move the acid out of your muscles and speed the healing process up. You may also have trouble running after your first couple of leg workouts. That's OK...just walk at a brisk pace for 30 minutes if you can't do your normal workout, or do the strength training on an off day and hit the stationary bike for 30 minutes after the workout.

It is important to ALWAYS lift, then do cardio, then abs. Your core is very important for all the activities. You need your abs to be fresh with you lift, then you start to tear them up some more when you run and max them out by focusing on them at the end of your workout.
  • rgarli905
    Options
    Thanks for the reply can I ask what exercises you do for your core? Do you do any classes?
  • trizzell79
    trizzell79 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great routine!
  • SSoebbing85
    Options
    I change up my core workout all the time so I don't get bored and I'm constantly working the muscles in a new way.

A few standards are sit ups on an incline bench. Add a 10 lb weight on your chest for some extra resistance. And Hangmans, where you slip your upper arms through two loops hanging from a chin-up bar and bring your knees up to a 90 degree angle. On those I try to do three to four sets of 20 reps.

I also do the abs section of the 10 minute Pilates videos, work with weighted balls and stability balls. And belly dancing is my favorite ab workout ever. When done properly, you move your upper body completely separately from your lower body, which requires major ab control. I used to belly dance several times a week in college and my abs were the my of my dorm floor. Now I'm trying to get that figure back. :)

The one thing I never do is crunches on the floor. They're not all that effective and if you tighten your stomach wrong you can actually train your muscles to build out instead of in. Nobody wants that.

Here's a link that will give you some ideas on how to work your core: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/get-rock-solid-abs
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I lift and do lots of strength and boxing, and I have found spinning has really boosted my running!

I'm now supposed to be on W7, but struggling with the 20 mins run last day of W6 at the moment, but I dont think it will be long :-)
  • jessc4343
    jessc4343 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate you posting this topic! I snagged Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and was wondering how/if it would fit into my C25K schedule (on wk 5 day 2). I'm waiting until after I run a 5k on Sept 8 to start the strength training but you have me seriously rethinking my (lazy) goal!!

Oh, and great job on sticking with the program this time around; I'm also on my 2nd (3rd?) attempt and am feeling exponentially more confident this go-round. Must be something about the world ending later this year ;)
  • SSoebbing85
    Options
    I just did the same workout. I felt pretty good. Although I've got to quit looking at my watch so much. This is also my second or third attempt. I've never gotten this far before, although I think I'm going to find a very flat course for my 20 minute run next time. Hills psych me out.
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I ran cross country in high school and trained for some difficult 10K courses four years ago, but fell off the healthy living bandwagon

In high school I could go from running zero miles to five in a week, but now that I'm 27, and a whole lot heavier, I needed the C25K program to build up my endurance.

LOL! That sounds like me! I ran CC back in the early 80's, and whenever I'd start training for the season, it'd be a week of agony, but at the end of it, I'd be good to start training for speed in earnest!
    When I started I could barely make it through the first week. My legs were just too weak. So I started strength training two to three times a week to strengthen my muscles.

Yep... I did C25K in spring 2011, and before I started, I did a workout program (not heavy duty strength work, but more like a good mix of cardio, upper & lower body, and core exercises. I definitely think it helped me ease into C25K!