Cooking with RA

Options
lratliff
lratliff Posts: 21 Member
I'm curious how everyone handles cooking and general food prep with RA. Of course it's healthier to cook your own meals but between not being able to be on my feet for very long, and my wrists being almost useless for wielding a knife on anything harder than bread, the food prep experience has become a whole different experience since acquiring RA.
How do you handle food prep? Tips and tricks?
What are some of your healthy go-to foods that don't require too much or any prep?

Replies

• chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Ooh! I can't wait to see some responses, because i feel you! The one thing that is super easy for me is fish. I can heat a fillet on the stove top easily and dress it up however I want. That's pretty much my go to meal.
  • Ritzbrit
    Ritzbrit Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Anything to make opening things or cutting things up help me. For example, my electronic can opener has been amazing! Or my food chopper to cut veggies, fruit. Haven't found anything for cutting bread or meat. Maybe sit in a chair while cooking will help with getting off your feet?
  • NicoleElen
    NicoleElen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am very blessed with an amazing husband. When I am having a flare, he is always there to open jars and cut veggies. If not I just make it a sandwich night lol.
  • amaryllis88
    amaryllis88 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    When I can't open jars, or anything that has a lid, I usually go for any kind of loosening method, like a can opener's tip stuck underneath the lid in any of the free spaces to sort of loosen the grip the seal has. That usually does the trick on most times I have problems with those. I usually tend to stay away from lids that don't easily open, preferring mainly the pull-tab ones instead.

I try to go really easy to already prepared foods. If I'm doing it myself, I mainly stick with eggs, or I go the sandwich route. I also fill up on lots of fruits & veggies that are easy to prepare alongside my meal, to make it feel more satisfying.
  • amaryllis88
    amaryllis88 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sorry about the double posting, but today I bought a book entitled, "The Idiot's Guide to an Anti-Inflammation Diet." It's great reading material, so far, but I was wondering if anybody has tried eating this way for a prolonged period of time, and has it reduced your inflammation?

Thanks!
  • LovesAngels
    LovesAngels Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Do not prep the same day you purchase food!
    Prep the following day after a good. nights rest!
    I divide up the meats/poultry/fish into serving sizes
    Then freeze in. Ziplock bags. Lable then freeze.
    Wash and cut up veggies to cook or eat raw and place
    In containers.

Then go rest and write up meal ideas! Prep might take more than
    One day while in a flair! Go slow and easy!

Once you learn to store first then prep the second day you can manage
    Much. better!
  • melisha922
    melisha922 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    One of the lucky ones- my husband does all our cooking. However, I think one of the ways you can help yourself is to get more good, precooked things. A whole roasted rotisserie chicken from the grocery store can turn into sandwiches, salad topping, rice and chicken, and more. You save yourself the baking and most prep work. Prepackaged cut up veggies, raw fruit, etc are other ways I avoid being in the kitchen. I really can't stand that long... not still. Additionally, having a few just heat and eat meals in your freezer can be a real life saver. The worst thing is realizing at 7 o-clock that you're exhausted, in pain, can't cook, and so have to go out and scramble for food. This leads to overindulging and, because a lot of fast foods are processed, more pain. Good luck! Honestly, the food prep exercise is one of my biggest pain triggers. I really feel for people who have to cook for themselves!
  • ndbex
    ndbex Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I bring a chair in the kitchen and sit while I work on cooking. When jars don't open, I tap the edge of the lid on the counter and that usually does the trick. I also agree on getting cans with the pull tabs whenever possible. I buy frozen veggies too.
  • fuzzbugjr
    fuzzbugjr Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm. Husband does not cook. And we are both kind of disabled. I have RA, Fibro and Gout. He had a stroke about 2 years ago and his right side is still kind of weak -- good thing he is a lefty. So, I do all the cooking. I use very little prepackaged food. I cook for myself, husband and our dog (she thinks she is a people too! lol) I cook a lot of chicken because that is what husband likes, with an occasional meal of pork or beef thrown in. I make baked potatoes - no scrubbing or cutting. We use frozen veggies. Now that summer is here, we eat a lot of fresh fruit - cantaloupe, watermelon, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, kiwi, etc. The hardest thing for me to make is spaghetti. Draining the pot of cooked spaghetti is an adventure!

When I need to do food prep, I sit at my kitchen table. I tend to prep food on the day that I need to cook it. So, for a late lunch, I will prep anything that needs prepping in the morning. That way i can take my time and not have to hurry. I work in baby steps. Work for 10 to 30 minutes depending on how I feel, then rest for a while. Most meals are made in the oven. Some in the crock pot.

For me, it was and is, a matter of adjusting how and when i do things according to how I feel.
  • LovesAngels
    Options
    Has anyone asked the butcher in the store to cut up meats?.
  • LovesAngels
    Options
    Has anyone asked the butcher in the store to cut up meats?.
  • fuzzbugjr
    fuzzbugjr Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Depending on the store, yes. A regular grocery store - yes. The local butcher shop - yes. Wal-Mart - NO. I've found they are usually happy to help. I've had pork loin roasts cut into a smaller roast and chops. I've had chuck roasts cut into chuck steaks.
  • LovesAngels
    Options
    That's wonderful news and I may try that too! I'm glad to see you have tried it and it works! The less prep we do the better we feel!

I count it as exercise tho since I come away sweating!! Grin!
  • GinaRamp
    GinaRamp Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have had RA since age 3 and am now 50. I also have trouble cutting up veggies, etc. I always sit at the bar to do all my chopping and preparing. I also use OXO products. http://www.oxo.com/c-33-cooking-baking.aspx
  • GinaRamp
    GinaRamp Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have had RA since age 3 and am now 50. I also have trouble cutting up veggies, etc. I always sit at the bar to do all my chopping and preparing. I also use OXO products. http://www.oxo.com/c-33-cooking-baking.aspx
  • Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Love this thread. Just diagnosed, and just starting to have these issues. It is hard for me. I could not open my first jar the other night....my 9 year old daughter did it for me without a problem....I felt so useless :frown:
    I love reading all the tips and tricks though...stuff I had not thought of yet, but I guess it would be wise to.
    I do all of our cooking and homemade stuff, because my oldest son had soy allergies so I had to cook using all natural products.
    He is off to college now, but I still will continue cooking.
    My hubby does help when he is home.
    My daughter is willing to help with what she can as well.