getting back on track?

Options
bethad5
bethad5 Posts: 176 Member
Since Friday, I have gone over my TDEE by anywhere between 1000-2000 calories - I am going through some hard times and apparently am an emotional eater. I was supposed to weigh in this weekend (it'll be 4 weeks into NROLFW), but I'm afraid to with how 'bad' this week has been (and I hate using those words - 'good' and 'bad' - but copious amounts of almond butter, oreos, and processed carbs is pretty bad).

Have I completely derailed myself? Have I ruined any progress I may have made thus far? Do you ever have days of going way over? How do you get back on track? How do you deal with the guilt?

Last night was the second day in a row I went way over and I woke up thinking about how I could just not eat today. I know that isn't the answer. Should I undereat a little to compensate? It's a rest day, so I won't be doing any workouts... just work all day and then night class...

I need help :(

Replies

• jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I had a span of time like this recently and I had a hard time getting back in the groove too. I finally made myself get on the scale and that was all the kick in the pants I needed. I set goals for myself for the next day to just log all day and get my workout in. I felt so good after the first day, I made the same goal for the next and the next. Now I am back in the groove. I really didn't want to get back in the groove mentally, but seeing my weight was all it took. I know some people avoid the scale because it just depresses them, and it does me too, but I think I talk myself into thinking it isn't so bad when I don't know where I am at. When in reality it usually is that bad or worse, lol. I don't happen to be one of those lucky ones that gets pleasantly surprised by the scale. Don't know if that helps you, but it is what worked for me. I have only been on track again for about 5-6 days, but I feel sooooooo much better. It is a mental battle daily, hourly. One good decision after another. One good day after another and so on. Good luck!
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    The longer you ignore the sabatoge you have done, the longer you postpone getting back on track for real.
    Own it. Get on the scale, know that it will be up and it was "deserved", but be PROUD you got back on and know what you need to do to fix it.
    Life is full of these ups and downs. Give yourself a break. We are all human and women especially are emotional eaters. What is done, is done, but its up to you to decide how long you "allow" yourself to continue.

You know the only thing you need to do is get back on track with your daily calories. You know that not eating today will not make things any better, and in fact will set you up for another binge day tomorrow. Get your water, start drinking.. put a smile on your face and start the day with a new additude. You CAN do it. and you will

Hugs
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Don't ever try to fix a wrong with another wrong....it just complicates things further! :wink:

I have recently had trouble getting my macros on target...just got lazy after vacation with them and my protein was suffering terribly. I made a decision yesterday to focus on that and improve it starting today. And the way I ensure that I can do that is by pre-logging my food as much as possible with protein in mind.

Planning ahead, writing that plan down and sticking close to that plan is often the biggest step in getting back on track. If you wing it from day to day, you'll set yourself up for failure...less guilt about not doing something you haven't committed to in writing!

That is what works for me, but you may find some other method works for you. Think back to what you do when you are on track and start implementing some of those habits again. :smile:
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    The guilt is probably worse than the physical effects. I'm sorr youre going through a rough patch! <3

Could think of it as a brief hypercaloric reset... good for the metabolism in that way, though gains may be expected if cals were really high.

But you can only move forward, right??? Keep your chin up and try not to dwell on it. You'll be back on track in no time.
  • crystalwelshroberts
    crystalwelshroberts Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    WOW such great support already given, you guys are awesome!!

I just want to add, LIFE HAPPENS :) We have to deal with it the best we can. Recognizing that you use food to comfort yourself is half the battle. You'll do better now because you know better. Eat clean and use exercise to clear your head instead of food to numb it (I only know from personal experience)

My favorite reminder at time like these... If it feels like you are going through HELL, just hold on, you're almost through :)

hugs!!
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    The longer you ignore the sabatoge you have done, the longer you postpone getting back on track for real.
    Own it. Get on the scale, know that it will be up and it was "deserved", but be PROUD you got back on and know what you need to do to fix it.
    Life is full of these ups and downs. Give yourself a break. We are all human and women especially are emotional eaters. What is done, is done, but its up to you to decide how long you "allow" yourself to continue.

You know the only thing you need to do is get back on track with your daily calories. You know that not eating today will not make things any better, and in fact will set you up for another binge day tomorrow. Get your water, start drinking.. put a smile on your face and start the day with a new additude. You CAN do it. and you will

Hugs

^^^ Awesome advice here ^^^